Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Heatsink/ Heat Pipe / ThermoSiphon Cooling The cat will only make the mistake of putting its paw by your HSF once. :) Also the place to discuss the new high end heat pipe goodness.

Unread 10-08-2002, 10:29 AM   #1
WhosYourPal
Cooling Neophyte

Default IT7 Max2 / P4 2.53 cooling problem

Hello,

I just assembed my new rig which consists of an IT7 Max2 and a P4 2.53. I'm cooling it with a Swiftech MCX-478 HS mounted with an 80mm Thermoflow fan and Artic Silver 3. My problem is that my temps are jumping to 63-68C while sitting in the BIOS. I've also had what sound like alarms go off a couple of times when the temp is around the 68* area - so I'm thinking it's not just the temp probe on the Max2. I haven't even attempted to drop the OS yet.

I've reseated the HS a few times already - no luck. If I re-seat the MCX-478 again tonight, should I remove and re-applyt the Artic Silver 3? I have noticed that the Thermoflow fan is running at ~1450 rpm in the BIOS screen. Is it possible that a new fan would help to cool things down to a normal range? In my opinion, I need at least a 10 - 15* drop in temp. to run this rig.
WhosYourPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 11:11 AM   #2
Jason-Pro
Cooling Savant

them temps are just fine for the pentium 4. but id suggest reseating your heatsink. and you could have to much as3 on. to much is not good. all you want is a paper thin layer and spread it evenly. also make sure you clamp it down good. (dont be afraid to cover the hole on the cpu with as3 either) you could run that thing w/o a heatsink if you wanted.
Jason-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 04:05 AM   #3
Brad
Thermophile

does your heatsink actually feel warm to touch? if it does then I'd suggest you buy a more powerful fan. If it doesn't, check your mounting

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
WhosYourPal
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, it was getting warm. I took the retail P4 fan and rigged it up to the heatsink to see if there was any difference. It kept it cooler - down around 50* and I was able to drop the OS. So I ordered a YS Tech 80mm Speed Controlled Fan which is 48.70 CFM / 3700 RPM / 39.5db. Hopefully, once it's mounted permanently, it will cool it a few more degrees. I'm also hoping the 50* is lower since Abit board's temp probe reports on the high side.

Thanks for the feedback!
WhosYourPal is offline   Reply With Quote