Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
MadHacker
Cooling Savant
 
MadHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Okotoks, A.B. Canada
Posts: 726
Default ATX Aux plug off my Power Supply. Do I need it?

I'm sleaving my PSU and having a hard time removing the pins from the ATX Aux plug(6 pin). what is it used for? can i just cut it off? i don't seen any need for it...
unless there is an easy way to remove the pins.
I am tempted to just cut it off... but don't want to kick myself later if i need it...
feedback would be great
__________________
"Great spirits have always encountered violent
opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
MadHacker
Cooling Savant
 
MadHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Okotoks, A.B. Canada
Posts: 726
Default

so of the 12 people who read this..
they don't know what it is for?
bummer
__________________
"Great spirits have always encountered violent
opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
AntiBling
Cooling Savant
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: orlando FL
Posts: 147
Default

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxaux.html
AntiBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
feathers
Cooling Neophyte
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 81
Default

What is this obsession with sleeving everything. If the sleaving won't fit over the plug then get bigger sleeving!
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
#Rotor
Cooling Savant
 
#Rotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dione, sector 4s1256
Posts: 852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHacker
I'm sleaving my PSU and having a hard time removing the pins from the ATX Aux plug(6 pin). what is it used for? can i just cut it off? i don't seen any need for it...
unless there is an easy way to remove the pins.
I am tempted to just cut it off... but don't want to kick myself later if i need it...
feedback would be great
since you want to cut it off, you obviously have no value for the Warranty anymore, in such a case, why not just open up the PSU, neatly pull that bunch of wire out from the bundle, and wind it up in a nice tight loop. Then just tuck it into a corner inside the psu, out of the way so it does not interfere with airflow.

This way you won't have to regret it later on....
__________________
There is no Spoon....
#Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant
 
Cyco-Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Rotor
since you want to cut it off, you obviously have no value for the Warranty anymore, in such a case, why not just open up the PSU, neatly pull that bunch of wire out from the bundle, and wind it up in a nice tight loop. Then just tuck it into a corner inside the psu, out of the way so it does not interfere with airflow.

This way you won't have to regret it later on....
that could be hard to do, as most PSU's dont have much room to spare (sounds like a good idea though).

MH, i just cut mine off. its not hard to re-solder the wires (all black wires are ground, all red wires are 5v, all orange wires are 3.3v). i wouldnt think it matters how they were re-soldered. but if youre worried about it, you could just cut each wire so its a little longer, that way there would be no confusion as to how they originally came. dont forget to insulate the ends of the cut wires.
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2004, 12:37 PM   #7
MadHacker
Cooling Savant
 
MadHacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Okotoks, A.B. Canada
Posts: 726
Default

Thanks for the info. Been away from my PC for a couple days.
I am going to try to address everyone's comments in this one reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
What is this obsession with sleeving everything. If the sleaving won't fit over the plug then get bigger sleeving!
I can get the sleaving to fit over it but the heat shrink won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBling
I read about that earlier... I don't know if other MB like AMD boards need it. I know very little about AMD setups. Had an AMD 100MHz CPU once... ran to hot.. didn't want to overclock... never went back... from what I have read... AMD is a bit better now in those regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Rotor
since you want to cut it off, you obviously have no value for the Warranty anymore, in such a case, why not just open up the PSU, neatly pull that bunch of wire out from the bundle, and wind it up in a nice tight loop. Then just tuck it into a corner inside the psu, out of the way so it does not interfere with airflow.

This way you won't have to regret it later on....
I have no value for the warranty. I have already cut off all the power wires and added Molex connectors so I won't have any extra wires in it I won't need. but still b able to plug back in any of the power connectors if i need them down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
that could be hard to do, as most PSU's dont have much room to spare (sounds like a good idea though).
your right, there isn't that much room to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
MH, i just cut mine off. its not hard to re-solder the wires (all black wires are ground, all red wires are 5v, all orange wires are 3.3v). i wouldnt think it matters how they were re-soldered. but if youre worried about it, you could just cut each wire so its a little longer, that way there would be no confusion as to how they originally came. dont forget to insulate the ends of the cut wires.
I eventually came to the same conclusion. I left enough wire there 2" - 3" remaining and wrapped it up in electrical tape to guarantee no shorts.

Thanks for the feedback. really appreciate it
__________________
"Great spirits have always encountered violent
opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)
MadHacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(C) 2005 ProCooling.com
If we in some way offend you, insult you or your people, screw your mom, beat up your dad, or poop on your porch... we're sorry... we were probably really drunk...
Oh and dont steal our content bitches! Don't give us a reason to pee in your open car window this summer...