Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 01-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #1376
bitor
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Hack a Snap Sever 1000?

Yes, you are quite intuitive. You are correct about the restriction part. I know it can be done. I guess it's another project for me to figure out. Wonder what all those people do with those 1x00 door stops? Maybe they should send them our way?

bitor

P.S. I've been trying to get a hold of Snap-Tech for the last week. Do you know where he is? I've tried messaging him here and at his yahoo account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100
Yes, there has been quite a few 1x00 turned into door stops. Turning off auto reboot just sets you up for failure at a given time, like power outage.

I don't really know on that one. Never had a need to do it. If your tring to get around the 137gb restriction, I could see your need.
bitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:18 AM   #1377
Jagar
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
If right every thing works
Perhaps getting “everything right” is something you are willing to help me on?
If yes PM me…
If not – definitely don’t sweat it; RAID would be convenient but I’m not desperate for RAID capability from this 1000 unit considering it’s age, transfer speed, and also considering other BYOD NAS available in the current market.
Quote:
If you want a RAID, buy a unit that supports it.
Post # 1284 <--- I can't argue with that. It's just the urge
Quote:
If you turn off auto reboot and do not unlock the bios, change are only tempary till it reboots. Doing it this way, reboot will reverse the settings, away to recover.
You are very clear but I just want to reiterate to be sure: if I were to turn off auto reboot and change the Model to 0 without unlocking the bios I can experiment with RAID 0 or 1 with the 1000 without risk of permanent bricking? The settings will stick until I change the model number back or reboot? I’m guessing (because I have not reloaded the OS) I would need to use the debug mode commands to initiate the mirror configuration? Just curious…
Quote:
I like this mega post, new members are in shock, havn't see any threads this long before. And loaded with a wealth of information.

Thanks to this forum and more specifically this mega post I have a SNAP! 1000 with a 320GB Seagate 7200.10 and a 160GB Western Digital Protégé, JBOD, in a mini tower with ample power and cooling. Total cost = about $90.00 (Everything was scavenged except the Seagate HDD I recently purchased from NewEgg)
You folk really know your stuff!
Jagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #1378
blue68f100
Thermophile

The 1000 does not load the specific modules to become a raid unit. Some parts of the code is shared, so it may give you options, but will not have the complete code. This is the reason that it needed to rebood. Then the problems start because it is missing key elements necessary. Specificly it a combination of hardware and software. The 1100 model early one had the same MB as the 2200, with a missing header. The early 2000 also used the same MB as the 4000 model. So you see why persons wanted to expand there system. Unless you were lucky enough to have one of these specific MB you can. The 2000 to 4000 does not cause the unit to lock up like the 1000 to 2000 hack.

I would not mess with it, the risk are to high. It took me over a year playing around to finally find a way to unbrick one. And I'm not going to let the solution out.

If your looking to expand your system, the freeNAS is becoming an option. But this is still in beta, but is currently usable if your hardware is supported by FreeNAS v6.0. It requires a powerful cpu just like modern software base raid units do.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #1379
bitor
Cooling Savant

Here is a good question for SnapOS

I've got another question. On my Snap I have cleared/and formated the drive. So I know nothing is on it. Without the drive in, I have a Share1 that says not on line. So, I did not think anything big. So I install the new drive and it formats and shows up as share2 and share1 is still there and says it's off line. The position I put the new drive in should be share1. How do I remove the share1 off line folder and get the drive back from share2 to share1?

Thanks,
bitor
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #1380
Jagar
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitor
Here is a good question for SnapOS

I've got another question. On my Snap I have cleared/and formated the drive. So I know nothing is on it. Without the drive in, I have a Share1 that says not on line. So, I did not think anything big. So I install the new drive and it formats and shows up as share2 and share1 is still there and says it's off line. The position I put the new drive in should be share1. How do I remove the share1 off line folder and get the drive back from share2 to share1?

Thanks,
bitor
I think I can help with this issue.

Go to the web administration page.
Select Security.
Select Network Shares.
Highlight SHARE 1 from the list on the left
Select Delete from the list of options on the right
[Reboot?]
Then highlight SHARE 2 from the list on the left
Select Properties from the list of options on the right
Type SHARE 1 in the name field to rename SHARE 2 to SHARE 1

That should be it

Last edited by Jagar; 01-31-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Jagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #1381
bitor
Cooling Savant

Thank you, I got it.

bitor
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #1382
lattisimo
Cooling Neophyte

was looking for Snap OS v4 for my 4100, sorry to post off topic but this thread look as if it had the most requests for the file and i did not want to open another thread.

I would like it for AD 2003 Compatibility. ProCooling has some of the most indepth info on Snap Appliances i have found to date. Thanks ahead of time for all of the info and time.

mybabiesdaddy (at) gmail.com
BioS - 2.4.437
lattisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM   #1383
blue68f100
Thermophile

If your lucky and contact Sales at Adaptec, and sweet talk them, other have gotten v4.0.860 it free. The kicker is that they want you to buy a service contract to a EOL product, so you get no support. So sale has been provide it to some users. If you contact tech support they have been giving out v3.4.807 which support large HD's, but does not give you AD Support.

It would be nice if they would just release it with out going through hoops. It would be a start to improving there image. They have had a bad reputation ever since they bought SnapAppliance.

But if you need Vista or OSX support you need to upgrade the the Guardian units.

Unread 03-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #1384
lattisimo
Cooling Neophyte

yeah, called sales. I had to ask for the price, he wouldn't just volunteer it, for the contract and he started off with $399. he had no interest in selling it to me. even if there was no way i could afford it even at the $200 price, he still should have tried to make the offer sound appealing.

hopefully i will get lucky and find an extra $200 bucks that i don't want to spend on anything else magicaly appears , OR... it might appear if my inbox if someone feels generous. Either way, thanks for the reply.
BioS - 2.4.437
lattisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #1385
mioan
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Hack a Snap Sever 1100?

Hi guys, I hope you can help me

I have a snap 1100
The disk is completely damaged
I have put a new disk. I have deleted all partitions of the new disk (hoping that the snap will recreate what it needs)
I have done the restore to factory defaults procedure

The system led flashes slowly
The link led is ON
the network led flashes some times
the disk led flashes twice for each system led flash

The assist does not find the server
What is its default IP address?
I guess I need the image file to put it in the blank disk?
Can someone please send it to me? Please help.

1000 thanks

Michael
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
www.24Hsoftware.com
mioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #1386
otoc
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:

But if you need Vista or OSX support you need to upgrade the the Guardian units.
I've found no issue with Snap OS v4.0.860 shares being recognized in either OS X 10.4, or 10.5 (with recent updates applied). Is there something to be aware of?

The issue to me is that there has been no update to the Apple Snap Assist since OS 9 and for finding a newly set up Snap, a PC or Mac Intel running Windows may be needed. Unless a system is running OS 9 I guess.

Total agreement on the Adaptec image front and the hoops they make you go through to debate getting the last Snap software update.
otoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #1387
blue68f100
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mioan

I have a snap 1100
I have put a new disk. I have deleted all partitions of the new disk (hoping that the snap will recreate what it needs)

The link led is ON

1000 thanks

Michael
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
www.24Hsoftware.com
Michael,

The OS is on the HD. You will need a 2200/1100 image file to load the HD. So if you know some one who has a working unit you can get a copy. If you find a 4100 or 4000 it will boot the snap but will require the OS to be reloaded. Some of the specific modules will not match but it is close enough to boot the 1100.

We can not distribute the image due to the facts that it contains Copyrighted material. If you read the sticky Legal Notice from Adaptec (at top of threads) you will know why. We are constantly monitored here, so our hands are tied.

My suggestion is see if digital dolly will be able to read 15-25mb of data from the damaged HD. This is where the OS is located, if only 15meg it will boot but will need to be reloaded because some is missing. If it just makes a clicking noise, try swapping HD controller boards with a matching/working drive.

Or try searching torrents sites.

David

Snap Moderator

Unread 06-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #1388
bitor
Cooling Savant

Dear Mioan:

Look at the forum for the led flashes for what it could be. It's all there. You just have to look.
The Assist will not find the snap unless you have the SnapOS on the hard drive. That is why the Assist program is not seeing it. With your Snap1100 No SnapOS, No Assist connection. You should have tried getting the image off your damaged hard drive before you deleted all the partitions. Now you are stuck. This model does not recreat the SnapOS on the hard drive.

bitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mioan

I have a snap 1100

The link led is ON

1000 thanks

Michael
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
www.24Hsoftware.com
Unread 06-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #1389
mioan
Cooling Neophyte

Dear David, dear bitor,

thank you both for your answers.
I very much like this device and I want to make it functional again.

I did not delete the partitions from the damaged disk. That is a different disk I am trying to hook.

Today is day 2.
I will collect the tools you suggested and try to get something out of the damaged disk ( it was a 40 GB from a refurbished 1100)

Up to now, I have the tools:
- snap server system v3.4 (snap_sys).sup (28 MB)
( from an upgrade I did some years ago, when it was functioning Ok )
- snap assist

I hope I will come back here with my success story... Otherwise, I will ask again for your guidance. Thanks a lot
Michael
Unread 06-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #1390
eot8857
Cooling Neophyte

Don't know if this will be of any help, but these guys have a downloadable blank image for the SNAP 1000, as well as detailed instruction on how to upgrade the drive, using a blank drive.

I don't know what version of the os that the image is, and you may run into BIOS incompatibility if it's v4 (the v4 upgrade also upgraded the BIOS on my unit). It's worth a try if you have a dead unit, though; at least it's better than using the SNAP as a doorstop.

Good luck -

Link removed, posting links to Copyrighted material is not allowed on this site.

David
Moderialtor

Last edited by blue68f100; 06-24-2008 at 08:26 AM.
eot8857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #1391
mioan
Cooling Neophyte

1)
I found a snap1000.img

2)
Put it on a blank disk with dd
Does the disk need to have two partitions before I do the DD ?
After I copy the image, the disk reported by linux and windows as having no partitions.
Is this normal?

3)
I hooked the drive to the snap server and again I got the 1-2 led blinks pattern.
No DHCP address is given.
It seems I need to find snap2200.img and try it on my snap 1100.

4)
I also got an email that another company bought this line of servers and I will not have to deal again with the customer support of adaptec.

In a previous email, Adaptec told me that they found my serial number and the server record and blah blah blah, but it is out of guaranty, so they want $120 to continue talking with me.
Actually instead of asking for money, I think they should appologize for this amazing inconvenience and the engineer's wrong decision to put the s/w only on the hard disk and not have a copy on the Rom of the server. A hard disk failure makes the whole 1100 server unusuable.

At least they should give the image file to customers. They found my SNAP's serial number. What else do they need to give me their precious Image file?
What other terific application could I do with it, if not used inside the SNAP server?

I am very dissapointed with Adaptec's customer service.

I will keep on looking for another image file.
Thank you guys from this forum for the help up to now.

Michael
Unread 04-04-2009, 03:10 AM   #1392
hondaCXrider
Cooling Neophyte

Hi,
I was given a snap server quantum (same as a snap 1000 i believe) with a 15gb drive in, it worked OK, but the space was small and the drive noisy. I decided to upgrade and like many here, dropped in an old 75gb and waited...lights but no communication. So I looked for information and found this forum.
If you use XP and look at the share and untick hide system folders and files you will see a folder called "private os" you do not have permissions to delete it(or copy it I think). and this convinced me that part of the OS is on the drive. Next I followed Danz instructions as here :
"Download the cloning program from www.e-mart.com, the program is clone-n-recover.
this program will allow you to clone your hd using byte-to-byte and sector-to-sector.
the lite version will only allow you to make a single clone and after that the program
will stop running, incase you need to re-run the program again you must override its
protection,to override the "security" of the program, unhide the file called
DOSFIT.DSK using attrib.exe and simply delete it, then run the program again.
read the help file of the program on how to use it.

1. set the snap hd to master and slave for the bigger HD
2. Duplicate the Snap1000 to a bigger HD (40GB that i use). using option 2 of the
clone-n-recover (CUSTOM Cloning).
make your Snap HD as the source and your bigger HD as the target.
(the cloning will take time to complete.) at least an hour.
3. After completing the cloning., attached your newly cloned HD to snap server
boot-up the snap
4. using your browser type in http://yoursnapserver/config/debug
5. on the box type in "config devices format 10000 /reinit
6. Reboot the snap server, the snap should now start formatting the drive

Extra notes:
I took a crappy old PC and set up the 2 hard drives, old snap 15GB as master and the 75GB as slave, made a bootable floppy in xp and then transferred all the extracted files from the downloaded program on to it
The program i downloaded was dpcr.exe but it worked more or less the same.
I then ran the diskpro program after booting up from the floppy,it took 6 HOURS to clone the disk!!! be warned, at first I thought it had crashed.
After that I switched off, removed the drive,put the jumper from slave to cable select and put the disk back in the snap.
Then I followed steps 4 to 6 and rebooted. After a lengthy reformat, BINGO it worked. I have a quiet snap server with 8 times the space.
I have joined the forum just to let you guys know this proceedure works, and if I can help anyone else, let me know.

here is log from unit for last 3 steps if this helps read bottom to top:
I File System : Closed FDB for device 0x10006 Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:43:54
I File System : Closed FDB for device 0x10000 Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:43:53
I System Shutdown : In Progress... System 3/4/2009 20:43:52
I System Initialization : Initialization Complete! Memory to be released: 23261984 bytes. System 3/4/2009 20:35:59
I File System : Format complete Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:35:59
I File System : Opened FDB for device 0x10000 Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:35:59
I File System : Successfully initialized empty FDB for device 0x10000 Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:35:59
I DHCP/BOOTP: Setting IP address to 192.168.1.9 Network 3/4/2009 20:22:55
I File System : 75873MB in 9485 cyl groups (16 c/g, 8MB/g, 768 i/g) Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : /dev/ride0a: 155389328 sectors in 151748 cylinders of 16 tracks, 64 sectors Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : Warning: 624 sectors in last cylinder unallocated Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : Formatting /dev/ride0a Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : Process formatting device /dev/ride0a Disk 1 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : Format complete Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : Opened FDB for device 0x10006 Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : Successfully initialized empty FDB for device 0x10006 Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:46
I File System : 32MB in 4 cyl groups (16 c/g, 8MB/g, 768 i/g) Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:45
I File System : /dev/ride0g: 65536 sectors in 64 cylinders of 16 tracks, 64 sectors Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:45
I File System : Formatting /dev/ride0g Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:45
I File System : Process formatting device /dev/ride0g Disk (Priv) 3/4/2009 20:22:45
S System Initialization : Server v3.1.626
Build Date: Sep 19 2001 10:02:17
Boot Count: 106 System 3/4/2009 20:22:38

Last edited by hondaCXrider; 04-04-2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: add more info
hondaCXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #1393
bitor
Cooling Savant

hondaCXrider

Thank you for contributing to the forum and the information you have provided.

bitor
Unread 08-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #1394
shirsch
Cooling Neophyte

Would anyone able to lend a copy of the SnapOS for my original SNAP (1000? - No model number) please send me a private message? I think this requires 3.4.830, but beggars cannot be choosers.
shirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #1395
blue68f100
Thermophile

Overland has released it to the public, but you must get it from them. I have posted the link several times. Use the search feature to fine it.

Since your is a 1000, if it has only 32 meg of ram your options will be limited to v3.

Unread 08-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #1396
shirsch
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks! Unfortunately mine is a 32MB 1000. I found the required image through nefarious means and have successfully upgraded.

Is poor NFS throughput a hallmark of the Snap 1000? It only seems to support UDP transport with a max send/recieve size of 16kB. Transfer speeds are glacial!
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #1397
blue68f100
Thermophile

The early ones with only 32meg hardly have enough room for the OS beside any cache. The CPU are slower than a snell, so you get what you get.

Unread 08-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #1398
shirsch
Cooling Neophyte

Yes, that's what I kind of figured. However, the prices was right (free), so I cannot complain. Sort of fun to play with!
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #1399
wileycoyote
Cooling Neophyte

Fantastic forum, very informative

Would appreciate some help. Have a Snap 1000, originally
software 2.3.417
hardware 3.1.1
bios 2.1.364

The 15 gb drive in this unit was beginning to make nasty clicking sounds and having severely delayed reads while backing up data. Want to upgrade to a 500GB drive. Upgraded to 3.4.805 without an issue.

Took drive out of box and attached 15gb as master and 500 as slave in another machine and booted with dd at link on wiki page. I am presented with a menu for dd when booting and chose option 4.5 for a disk to disk copy. This program then asks if disks are of same geometry. They aren't but said yes, selected the drives and cut it loose.

Almost immediately got errors as follows:
hda: dma_intr: error0x40 {uncorrectable error}, LBAsect=8635, sector 8630 end_requese: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 8630
hda: dma_intr: error 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error } and

hda: dma_intr: error0x10 {SectorIdNotFound}, LBAsect=8640, sector 8640
hda: dma_intr: error 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error } then

hda: dma_intr: error0x04 {DriveStatusError}
hda: dma_intr: error 0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

I would normally presume my old drive is near death, but am i missing something. Since i can't do the commands as laid out in the wiki, because of the menu want to eliminate "operator error"

When i put the 500gb in the snap box, it boots but there are no partitions and it can't be reformated. Any help would be appreciated.
wileycoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 02:37 PM   #1400
blue68f100
Thermophile

If it boots with errors try reloading the OS. Then use the debug to init the HD. This is required when you install a new HD.

I expect errors any time you clone.

You should make a copy of the boot tracks using DD. saved as a .bin . Once a HD fails you need the bin file to boot the snap. I have done this use a USB to IDE interface. Then I just launched DD and did the transfer.

The clicking sounds means it's about dead. Once this stops your probably SOL.