Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 08-27-2002, 04:09 PM   #1
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Default Proud owner of new EMCO mill, need some US help

I finaly save enough money to buy older but hardly used Emco classic mill it cost me 2000$ and another 800$ worth of equipment needed to start working. But I went for this mill because it's perfect for modifying into cnc mill, and here is a problem, stepper motors are extremly expensive here in Slovenia motor with 1.1Nm of holding torque which is basicaly what I need would set me back for another 120$ so that times 3.
And I know that this stuff is much cheaper in US, so I'm looking into some steppers NEMA 34 capable of aprox 150oz/inch ,uni or bipolar, but prefer unipolar because I can get unipolar 3axis controler very cheap.
So I'm asking for any help, to find me those motors and then ship it to Slovenia.
So disscusion is now open for everything from milling to block design...
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Congrats on the new machine

A quick search on ebay turned this up, is it what you need? If so it would be a good deal even if they want $100 to ship them to you. It is a buy it now item also.

click me
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 06:22 PM   #3
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Thanks, yes I saw those, but after seeing that they have 4 wires, that means that the motors are bipolar which are actualy better, but the controler is more complicated and my friend who will make me this controler have only plans for unipolar, I need to verify if he could somehow make me bipolar controler.
But yeah those motors looks good especialy because they have dual shaft so I can put hand wheel on other side, if I need to work something easy manualy.
Ohh, and I just saw he ship to Europe that's good too, just need to google a little for more data on motors,
Thanks
Unread 08-27-2002, 06:44 PM   #4
maskedgeek

thats awesome you got a mill! do you have any pics or links we can see, i honestly dont know were to get the motors or anything... whats the specs on the machine?
i designed up a block the other day that i think would work pretty good if you wanna give it a shot.... i can send you the cad if you want pm me if you want it, i also got another design ready to get into autocad...
maskedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 01:50 AM   #5
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

morphling1, it seems some models can be wired either way so check into that avenue also.
Unread 08-28-2002, 08:54 AM   #6
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Proud owner of new EMCO mill, need some US help

Quote:
Originally posted by morphling1
I finaly save enough money to buy older but hardly used Emco classic mill it cost me 2000$ and another 800$ worth of equipment needed to start working. But I went for this mill because it's perfect for modifying into cnc mill, and here is a problem, stepper motors are extremly expensive here in Slovenia motor with 1.1Nm of holding torque which is basicaly what I need would set me back for another 120$ so that times 3.
And I know that this stuff is much cheaper in US, so I'm looking into some steppers NEMA 34 capable of aprox 150oz/inch ,uni or bipolar, but prefer unipolar because I can get unipolar 3axis controler very cheap.
So I'm asking for any help, to find me those motors and then ship it to Slovenia.
So disscusion is now open for everything from milling to block design...
Can you post a url where we can get specs for your mill? This may help in the search.

Bob
Unread 08-28-2002, 09:28 AM   #7
morphling1
Cooling Savant

I'll post pic. a later. The model is Emco Fb2 (they no longer produce it new model is Fb3) with 300W 3phase motor (380V), gearbox for changing speeds between 120 & 2000 rpm, and realy precise x,y,z movement with no air in the spindels.
Emco home page is here: http://www.emco.at/index.php if you need more info on products.
g_n, I know that 6 and 8 wires motors can be used both uni or bipolar mode, but 4 wire is stricly bipolar, I try and find some data on those motors and no luck, I only got phone number from company that makes them (I emailed the company with the same name, but they make other stuff, so they gave me their phone) it's from NY and this is the number 800-394-9866, but this is a little use for me, so again big request if someone could give them a call and asked about holding torque for stepper Model 23D-6229D, thanks
Unread 08-28-2002, 09:53 AM   #8
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If it's any help here's a link .
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 11:11 AM   #9
maskedgeek

morphling, can you give a direct link, cuz when i see that site... i see... i cant tell what i see, i cant read those languages..
Unread 08-28-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Geesh its been a while ......... glad my account is still good.

On the motors, I would go with a 200 oz. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. You will thank me later. As they are a bit faster and stronger. Also I would highly recomend getting a controller as well. Im not saying that your friends skills are lacking or anything like that. Its just that if your gonna do it..... might as well do it right. What would happen if something went wrong in the contoller and it fried your motors. Your SOL. Might as well go ahead and get a warranty on the whole package.

Just my 2 cents.

Congrats on the mill. Hope you have fun with it.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 02:19 PM   #11
morphling1
Cooling Savant

bb2k, thanks for that link but I couldn't find the data I need.
maskedgeek, can't you see language buttons on the left side?
Fixitt, thanks for that info, so where can I find those 200 oz. steppers, and as cheap as possible, I find a company that sells 150 oz. nema34 steppers price for one is 40$ and 30$ shipping for all three. And I made some torque test on my mill with 1Nm of torque on hand wheel, I couldn't stop the movement of the table with my hand, so I think that's enough for this mill.
Unread 08-28-2002, 02:34 PM   #12
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I think you're better off with the 150 oz that you found.

From all the research I've made, those American Precision steppers, depending on the model, are rated somewhere between 0.2 and 1 Nm.
Unread 08-28-2002, 03:29 PM   #13
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Yeah I also think that those three steppers doesn't have enough torque, but I just assume that from size and power specs.
Did you by any chance find data for that specific model.
Unread 08-28-2002, 03:40 PM   #14
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Default Picures are in :)

Here it is:

And 20 pieces of 60*80mm copper just begging to get some milling action
Unread 08-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #15
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Looks kick ass

Here's a place selling brand new unipolar steppers, should get a warranty with em.

clicko
Unread 08-28-2002, 04:20 PM   #16
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by morphling1
Yeah I also think that those three steppers doesn't have enough torque, but I just assume that from size and power specs.
Did you by any chance find data for that specific model.
No, I found data for similar models, higher and lower.

BTW, American Precision was bought out by Danaher in 2000.

Last edited by bigben2k; 08-28-2002 at 04:26 PM.
Unread 08-28-2002, 05:03 PM   #17
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Thanks guys, nice to know you're all trying to help me
g_f, those motors look good but a little expensive, the search is still on
Unread 08-28-2002, 05:39 PM   #18
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

EBay has a LOT of stepper motors, for CNC, up to 2000 oz!

If you need an American person to act as a liaison, let us know.
Unread 08-28-2002, 08:16 PM   #19
morphling1
Cooling Savant

From same ebay seller I found these: Pacific Scientific Powermax II Stepper Motor 200 oz/inch, and I just emailed seller if he would ship to Europe, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1761444350
These look very good, and they are dual shafted which is a big plus, for me
Unread 08-28-2002, 11:01 PM   #20
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

I have power max motors on my mill. They are not 200 oz though. wish they were. Trust me on this Copper is more resitant then your hand, arm.... hell whole body. You need to be able to move the material while its cutting. I think anything under 200 oz is a waste of time for what we do. I have been looking for motor upgrades as well for mine. @ 6 in a minute it takes forever.

BTW nice mill. I have been pricing one about that size myself. It would be great to have a manual mill with some power for sizing, and the cnc for the math work.
Unread 08-28-2002, 11:15 PM   #21
maskedgeek

btw what costed you the extra 800 bucks? im intereested in knowing.... thanx
Unread 08-29-2002, 04:27 AM   #22
morphling1
Cooling Savant

another 800$ were precision machine vise, and then collet $ chuck set from 2 to 16mm, and set of milling bits. This will be probably cheaper in US but at least the quality of my part is very good.
Ok so I won't look into less then 200oz steppers, and those powermax looks strong enough, btw they also sell 248 oz. ones all with dual shafts, so I can still put hand wheels on one side.

EDIT: I use wrong currency conversion, so the correct prices would be 1700 $ for mill and 600$ for accesories.

Last edited by morphling1; 08-29-2002 at 05:59 AM.
Unread 08-29-2002, 04:35 AM   #23
morphling1
Cooling Savant

I just got email from seller , 45$ for 200oz stepper and 60$ for 253oz. stepper, this prices are extremly good so Fixittt you would go with 253 right, OK so this are the ones I'm buying shipping to Europe USPS air parcel 37$ for 10pound package so 220$ for all three 253oz. steppers plus shipping, one ISEL stepper 1.4Nm would cost me 180$ in Slovenia, so guess where I'll be buying from
Unread 08-29-2002, 07:28 AM   #24
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

VERY VERY GOOD!

That is great, Where did you get the steppers from? I want some! Right now my mill has a 1/5 hp 10,000 rpm spindle motor on it. I bought a 1 HP black and decker wood router with 30,000 rpms at a yard sale for $13 and am building a new motor mount and pully for it. Gonna have a screamin little machine when im done. MORE FEED RATES HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA scew a motor upgrade for $240 when I can do it for $13
Unread 08-29-2002, 01:36 PM   #25
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Wow 13$ for wood router, to bad those yard sales aren't popular here
I will buy motors here: Power Max 253oz , but I must first get answer from Geckodrive where I'm thinking of buying those G201 drives for which I read they are top notch quality. I'm mean if I'm going to have cnc, at least I should go for quality parts so that I will start working as soon as possible, and not spend time figuring why one motor doesn't work how it should
Oh, yeah this is the drive of my choice: Geckodrive G201