Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 11-17-2003, 11:24 AM   #176
Mindflux
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
You're right. I'm getting rid of the piece of bread. What I'll do is keep making the beef taco sandwiches and consider the bread a wrapper to be discarded. I just found out that mozzerella sticks are .5g carbs, so I'm munching those like crazy now. Between my few oz of milk, cheese, and 1/2 tsp of sauce for steak, I'll be at 10g of carbs per day TOTAL. Heh, that'll fugger my glucose levels up right and proper .... My favorite bit about this though is that I don't have to starve myself. When hungry I can just go eat ... as long as it's meat or cheese or eggs, hehe.

You're breaking the atkins rule with those Mozarella sticks, which I'm nearly absolutely positive have more than 1/2 a gram of carbs per stick. You're not supposed to have bread.. unless it's low carb bread and then you're still limited on that.

Edit: 16 lbs in 2.5 weeks so far.
Still in Ketosis/Induction, havn't started Pre-Maint yet.

Last edited by Mindflux; 11-17-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Mindflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 11:53 AM   #177
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Oh I guess I should mention I am down 25lbs now and seem to have kinda plateaued. I am sticking with it though and know that eventually I will start to lose weight again. It seems like I really go on cycles where I'll lose 5-6 lbs one week and then only 1 or 2 the next. I am figuring by Christmas I should be about where I want to be as far as weight goes.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #178
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Oh one thing I am curious if other people are experiencing. I find that I really really like jalepenos and hot sauce (Tabasco) now on foods. I have always liked spicy foods, but my taste now really has shifted to getting something hot. Just something I have noticed.

On that note, one of the most satisfying quick dinners I have found are buffalo wings that come from the Good Life delivery guy. They have 0.9g carbs per 100g serving of wings, so I can have as many as I want for dinner with a salad and I feel like I am back at a bar eating things off my diet. When you combine that with the fact I can get a nice buzz from one pint of guinness nowadays then I am pretty pleased with this weekend treat.
Unread 11-17-2003, 12:09 PM   #179
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by drummingpariah
well i didnt even mean with the diet. i am a bread/pasta fanatic. my average food intake for the day is as follows:

breakfast(1 day's worth)
box of cereal, 1/2 dozen bagels, leftover lasagna/spaghetti/whatever pasta, cereal bars, a gallon of orange juice, a couple apples/oranges/tomatoes/whatever's colorful and juicy

brunch(in addition to breakfast)
gallon of orange juice, donuts, a container of yogurt

lunch
2/3 roast beef wraps/sandwiches, gallon of water/milk, quick pasta(simple stuff like spaghetti), muffins, some kind of fruit, some kind of snack food that i can find(chips, etc)

dinner
steak.

i'm just looking for a good exercise routine that's cheap, and maybe some key foods to look for for weight gain(in a healthy way)

thx
That's more than I eat in a week and I am 6'2" 195lbs! Wish I could afford to eat like that. And I am not exactly broke either. Of course I only have 1 full meal a day and about 3/4 gallon of liquids in any form. Maybe a candy bar now and then... That all started when they moved me to the indoor engraving job. When I was in construction it would be about double what I eat now as lunch would be in the menu.

I need to re-start exersizing. I tore one of the tendon linings in my wrist a month ago and it still isn't right. Stopped lifting the weights since then... I can probebly start up again, especially since my WC projects are slowing down. Got more free time after work. Wrist is ok, still a lump there but it doesn't feel torn anymore.

I need to get on a better diet. I see airspirit says NO IRON, but my doctor told me I needed extra iron for some reason. What is the negative effects of extra iron?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 12:10 PM   #180
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
It has to do with the regulation of blood sugar/insulin levels. Atkins only says to go totally without caffeine during induction anyway.

I have a cup of coffee on occasion now (when I need it) but don't really miss it too much.
So then the caffine in and of it self should not affect weight loss?

What about the sweeteners? Does asperteme or splenda matter? I'd checked a few forums where they picked about them. Especially asperteme. some people say it will retard you weight loss.
Unread 11-17-2003, 12:27 PM   #181
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Atkins dislikes the Aspartame and loves the Splenda. I am not sure if the aspartame hating is due to weight loss or heart issues. Pretty sure it breaks down to nitrites which aren't the most healthy things to have around.

I find that a diet Dr Pepper makes a great dessert though some nights and haven't worried too much about it. Same with sugar-free chocolate pudding with nutra sweet. I make it half and half with 2% milk and cream to try and cut down on sugar from milk. These sort of treats are how I have shifted away from hardcore ketosis; not strictly allowed but it can give me something to satisfy sweet tooth without totally blowing diet.
Unread 11-17-2003, 01:19 PM   #182
Ewan
Cooling Neophyte

This is a cool thread. I did much the same thing as described in this thread about two years ago and went from 83 kg to 74 kg coupled with a significant increase in strength, endurance energy and whatnot. Now I can't fit in pants I bought from back then so I'm back into it. I'm not so strict on the dieet as a lot of you guys seem to be because I excercise so much that I'm not concerned.

A tip for people who suspect that they might not be able to follow the regime all the time (like me) is that if you are able to build up a mass of muscle (though unfortunately this takes longer than loosing weight does), you won't have so much trouble maintaining trim. Even when you're doing nothing. This is because your day to day wandering around will consume more energy.

If you want to build strength quickly this is a good diet. Add more protein (egg whites for example) so you've got something to build with. Creatine will allow you to work-out harder. So will a training buddy.
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 01:41 PM   #183
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Mozerella sticks are okay. At .5-1 carbs per stick you can have four of them per day and it is perfectly okay. Remember, after induction you should be gradually working up from 20g of carbs to the 30-60g range depending on your level of activity.

As for artificial sweeteners, splenda is best. It doens't metabolize at all in your system. Aspartame breaks down into methanol (a neurotoxin), phenylalanine (a potent carcinogen), and fire ant venom (I sh!t you not). Toxicity reactions in your system can mimic or cause the following conditions and diseases:

Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's Disease, Lupus, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), Diabetes and Diabetic Complications, Epilepsy, Alzheimer's Disease, Birth Defects, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lymphoma, Lyme Disease, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Panic Disorder

It can take someone with regular aspartame intake (it's not just in soda but in gum, candies, diet products, sugar free products, and anything endorsed by the diabetic association) well over 60 days to get rid their bodies of the chemicals that make up aspartame (thereby rendering them asymptomatic of the above conditions if caused by aspartame poisoning) and reduction or removal of aspartame from the diet can actually cause physical withdrawals similar to nicotine withdrawals.

If you are looking for sugar free products, consider those that contain splenda and/or sugar alcohols (though the latter causes a percentage of people to get a serious case of the sh!ts). Diet Rite and Diet Hansens sodas both use Splenda as a sweetener. Sugar Free Hersheys, Reeses, and Russel Stover's products all use Splenda and/or sugar alcohols. I would NEVER encourage anyone to ingest ANY amount of aspartame for any reason. Even in small quantities it gave me parkinsons symptoms, migraines, and severe indigestion. That is some evil stuff.

As for your plataeu, pH, that is absolutely normal. The first 20-30 pounds is always easy, and all of your excess water weight is also lost during this time. In later stages, you will probably only notice up to 2 lbs loss per week, since your metabolism is now fully adjusted and it has discovered that that is all it needs to burn to keep you going. At that point, it is just a slow but steady wait for it all to come off. If you go any significant time without weight loss, consider that you may need to adjust your carb intake one way or the other, or examine your diet to see if you have any hidden simple carbs that you have overlooked preventing you from going into a deep ketosis.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 01:51 PM   #184
Mindflux
Cooling Neophyte

I still don't get where you get .5-1 carb per stick? Everywhere I look says roughly 8-10 carbs. Heck, then why are jalapeno chedder poppers like 7.5g/carbs per "popper". There's just no way the cheese sticks can be THAT low.

Even here: http://www.sonicdrivein.com/menu/nut...itionGuide.pdf

Lists Mozarella Sticks as 35 grams of carbs (for 4 I believe). That's almost 10g a stick.
Unread 11-17-2003, 02:14 PM   #185
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mindflux
I still don't get where you get .5-1 carb per stick? Everywhere I look says roughly 8-10 carbs. Heck, then why are jalapeno chedder poppers like 7.5g/carbs per "popper". There's just no way the cheese sticks can be THAT low.

Even here: http://www.sonicdrivein.com/menu/nut...itionGuide.pdf

Lists Mozarella Sticks as 35 grams of carbs (for 4 I believe). That's almost 10g a stick.
Pretty sure he is talking about "String" cheese sticks. The kind in the plastic wrapper.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 02:37 PM   #186
Mindflux
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Pretty sure he is talking about "String" cheese sticks. The kind in the plastic wrapper.

Then call them string cheese damnit!
Unread 11-18-2003, 09:07 AM   #187
drummingpariah
Cooling Neophyte

ok my official weight so far is 138 lbs. i'm hoping that by christmas i can make it to 145, maybe even 150. then i'll be happy. doing lots of low weight, high reps stuff. makes you a bit more beat when you finish, but i definitely think it's better to have toned muscle than tons of muscle. oh, and a huge congrats on everyone that's been pulling off their goals (airspirit, first and foremost). i have a lot of respect for everyone on this thread.
drummingpariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2003, 01:04 PM   #188
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

By the way, folks:

DING!

Goal reached. Ain't I just special?
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
Unread 11-18-2003, 01:16 PM   #189
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Congrats airspirit!

I'll repeat again that I never would have started my diet if it hadn't been for this thread. I should drop below 200 lbs tomorrow (from 225); that was my initial weight goal but now I am headed for 185. The weight is just dropping off too easily and I don't feel really inconvenienced so I might as well just keep on til I am thin and not just "slightly husky".
Unread 11-18-2003, 01:47 PM   #190
Mindflux
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
By the way, folks:

DING!

Goal reached. Ain't I just special?

Congrats.

How much did you lose? ANd how much time did you spend losing it?
Unread 11-18-2003, 03:29 PM   #191
drummingpariah
Cooling Neophyte

good call guys, keep it up! i'm off to trade in my motherboard, getting the upgrade, hopefully. and i hope i can find my wallet :-/ wish me luck!
Unread 11-18-2003, 06:25 PM   #192
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

I've lost over 60 lbs ... I'm now in the high 130s and happy. I think I started in July ... so I guess around four months?

edit: it appears that the above post belongs in the motherboard topic, hehe.
Unread 11-19-2003, 02:06 PM   #193
drummingpariah
Cooling Neophyte

it didn't really belong anywhere, but this is where it ended up. maybe someday it will be lost among the countless replies here... except for the countless part.
Unread 11-24-2003, 08:24 AM   #194
trit187
Cooling Savant

for anyone hoping to try this check out this deal..
George Foreman Jumbo Grill w/ Cookbook + GF Rotisserie + Slow Cooker+20 GC for $89.88
Amazon has the George Foreman GR36CB Jumbo Size Plus Grill with Cookbook selling for $89.88 with free shipping and no taxes for most. Use the "Buy both and save" button in the middle of the product page and you will get the George Foreman GR59A Baby George Rotisserie as a free gift ($59.99 value). Also add the Proctor-Silex 33320 4-Quart Round Slow Cooker for $24.99 to your cart and apply coupon code SMALLAPSFREE and the slow cooker is free as well. Make sure to select free super saver shipping as well. Also starting today you can Get $20 when you spend $99 in Kitchen & Housewares. You are eligible for this promotion even though you only end up paying $89.88 because the promotion rules state "total amount before taxes, gift-wrap, shipping, and other promotions is $99 or more" and your total before promotions will be $174.86.

Grill:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...B6Z2/slickdeals

Slow Cooker:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...YMU1/slickdeals

Rotisserie:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...45E8/slickdeals

Gift Certificate info:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/r...eature/-/509354

as far as I can tell it's an awsome deal.... well worth it even if you're not looking to hit the diet...thanks slickdeals, you can read more here http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/sho...hreadid=6560#1
trit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #195
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Hmm any updates? Airspirit and Bill have met their goals, I am at 190 now (from 225) and 5lbs from my final goal.

It's funny because I normally wear sweaters and baggy clothes for comfort at work (one of fringe benefits of being a professor is you don't have to dress up ever). I never wear a tie and very rarely even tuck in a shirt. Now that it's Christmas season we have had several dinners and parties and I have worn dress clothes to them and everyone I work with has freaked out about how thin I am.

I got burned out on hot wings finally though
Unread 12-14-2003, 04:43 PM   #196
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Grats, man.
Unread 12-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #197
mad mikee
Cooling Savant

Yeah what Pheastus said....

Down to 187 from 207 in Oct, heading steadily for 180 - 175?
All thanks to this thread finally getting me to take the last step.
DFI ULTRA D (SLI Modded just because) 4200 x2 @ ~ 10 x 260 /1.49 Vcore , G5 + PA160 + 150mm Papst@5V + Maze 4 GPU + mcp350. Temp 36-37(load-2 x D20L) 2x1GB Ballistix PC4000, x800xl 256m, 74G rap + 160G Hitachi SATA , 21" mit/nec 1920x1440 Crt + 19 Neovo F-419 1280x1024 LCD, OCZ Powerstream 600

Hers: (my beloved who lets me do all this)
LianLi PCV1000, SD3700 @ 9x300, 1GB GBLA, 250+ 120 SATA, X700pro, 19" Neovo F-419 LCD, another OCZ 600
mad mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2003, 07:10 AM   #198
drummingpariah
Cooling Neophyte

i'm up to 149. it's been going really well at the gym, just plugging away with high reps and low weight. thanks to this thread for getting me started. really, i wouldn't have otherwise.
Unread 12-15-2003, 11:26 AM   #199
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Dammit, I hate this thread. Keeps reminding me of what a lardass I've become. 256# (6'3"+) should be about 200#.

I'm getting divorced, and I'm guessing there are slightly more women out there looking for a thin old computer geek than looking for a fat old computer geek.

So should the front page be changed to say:

"Procooling, Where The Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off and Lose Weight."
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2003, 11:36 AM   #200
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

aw Sean, not you too
yes, slim is in

"Procooling, Where The Completely Addicted Come to Cool Off and Lose Weight."

good
hey Joe . . . . .