Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 09-05-2002, 09:44 PM   #26
bowman1964
Cooling Savant

well thanks cmfici am glad someone likes it.thank you.i am a down to earth guy.i try to speak in every day terms.i hate tring to explain myself in tech terms.
i have recieved pm's from people on my exact spec which i do'nt mind helping anyone but i would rather anser the questions in here so i can help more than one or two.i have alot of questions on calpillary size and lenght outside diameter is .080 inside is .030 lenght is about 6 ft.A little something to think about with calpillary tubing..keep it long...too short and too big alows too much freon to pass though.this is bad one tha compressor has to work alot harder to feep up and 2 you have a bad chance of the freon still being in a liquid form when it reaches the compressor.i know alot people have a hard time understanding how a longer or shorter tube has control over the amount of freon that can pass.well i will try to explain in a easyer way to understand.now everyone i think knows that the size of a hole in the tube will alow only so much liquid to pass but.....if that liquid has to drag itself along the walls of the tube it slows down and causes a backup (or pressure in this case)now if you shorten the distance it drags you effectively are allowing it to shortcut and run faster and less backup(lower pressure).this shortcut will put too much freon in the evaperator and effectively flood it too much resulting in not effecient heat removeal.(cooling in freon comes from the process of phase change from liguid to gas) if you do not allow it to boil off slowly enough it is pushed out and back to the compressor where it returns as a partial gas /liquid state .not cooling no where well as it was intended to do.so now you can see how inportant the size and lenght is.ok i am sendind a pic of my proto where you can see the capillary tube where i formed a nozzle from the end and how i attached the hose to the block with std ac hose and fitting.i use a 1/4hp compessor seems to be the best choice between size and power.i use r22 it is realitively cheap compared to other freons.r134 works fine just not as effecient.
i am including links to calpillary tube charts and other helpfull pages.i dont think i have seen a forum anywhere that will have as much info as i am trying to give here so quick.i will try to anser questions as i can and have time to.i am a single dad of 2 children so i have my hands full alot..

http://www.hvacwebtech.com/freons.htm#P/T%20Chart
http://www.achrnews.com/CDA/ArticleI...8,3875,00.html
http://www.tecumsehindia.com/new_technical.htm
http://fridgetech.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image12.jpg (40.4 KB, 61 views)
custom r502 cooling unit

3D2001SE 21315

3DMARK03 6659
bowman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 12:37 PM   #27
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Thanks again Bowman for those links. One more question how would you solve a problem if I want to cool my gpu too. I have few ideas, now please tell me if some of them would work.
1. Capilary tube to cpu block, then the line goes straight to gpu from cpu block, so to design cpu block that will not evaporate all the fluid, but left some to evaporate in gpu block, but I see a lot of problem how could everything be in good equilibrium so that you have good cooling on cpu and also good on gpu.
2. two capilary tubes going from condenser one to cpu one to gpu, but here its hard to maintain bigger flow through cpu block and that all the fluid would evaporate in both blocks, can that be controled with capilary tube diameter and lenght ?
3. two lines from condenser and on each line thermostatic expansion valve this is probably the best for ease of use and perfect flow of the fluid through the blocks, maybe with sligtly less performanse like you said compared to capilary tube, but there is no problem with searching ideal capilary tube lenght.
And one more q how expensive are those valves anyway.
morphling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 12:49 PM   #28
bowman1964
Cooling Savant

well might be lucky for you i am designing a new system now on paper with 2 or 3 bocks on it and i am looking into all 3 of your ideas right now.but i want to cool the ram and gpu and chipset.i am toying with a idea of a dual cooling unit.freon direct on part ,water on rest with aid of the freon so no radiator and no fans.i really think i can come up with the best of both worlds.ultra cold but easy water hook up.with out causing condsation problems like extreeme chilling has.
the hardest part is i want all this desiged in one pc no external hoses of pipes.and like my cooler now it must be compact.
i think i need to start a thread so we all can just talk about do it yourself systems maybe next week i will start it up.
custom r502 cooling unit

3D2001SE 21315

3DMARK03 6659
bowman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 12:57 PM   #29
morphling1
Cooling Savant

Yes, start new thread and we can disscuss it there, my goal is also compact system preferably all in one case solution, and guess what I'm just making now gf4 block to cool gpu and ddr together in one block like I did with my Hercules if you saw, basicaly I'm done just won't have digi cam for one more week to post pics. So phase change cooler will also be for gpu and ddr.
Unread 09-07-2002, 04:12 PM   #30
*mat-ster*
Cooling Neophyte

WoW!

Visually AND performance wise Stunning

http://home.wanadoo.nl/a.p.versteeg/...ometeia-Li.htm
*mat-ster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2002, 04:42 PM   #31
morphling1
Cooling Savant

I saw that somewhere else, but thanks for that link. Yeah work of art, realy incredible