Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Pro/Crunching - Distributed Computing Teams
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Pro/Crunching - Distributed Computing Teams Home of the ProCooling.com Distributed Computing Teams.

Unread 07-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #1
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Daily Update.

July 6, 2003:

We are in 32nd place. 28 members with points on the board. About 70% of our total points have been produced in the last WEEK!!! If we can get everyone up and running full power we should be in real good shape to continue on up the ladder.

I will try and update this thread daily.

Last edited by jaydee116; 07-09-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Unread 07-06-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

I have 6 PC's Folding now...
guna try to get another in the mix.
we have so many users in this forum...
to bad we can't get them all folding...
Unread 07-07-2003, 02:09 AM   #3
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

Thought I'd chime in

I decided to help the cause and I have installed distributed folding on my main rig, under the alias YoDUH87. Thought I'd help my fellow procoolers pull away from [H] for a while

Don't know about converting the other computers in the house away from UD, but we'll see.

I'm going on vacation for a week, but I'll leave the computer folding

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Unread 07-07-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 7, 2003:

Still in 32nd place.

Losing steam a little. Our production is falling off by about 150,000 points a day.

There is a couple teams behind us that looks to pass us, but there are several in front of us that we should pass in time.

[H] isn't a problem for now as they have lost a lot of production.

Keep on crunching!
Unread 07-07-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Jaydee,

You are really on a roll, go for it.

I hope to have my daughters system added later this week. I'm going to go the hub route as I forgot one detail. Her modem is a cable one so I can't just jump the phone line. I set it up for her to use at collage you see.
Unread 07-07-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackeagle
Jaydee,

You are really on a roll, go for it.

I hope to have my daughters system added later this week. I'm going to go the hub route as I forgot one detail. Her modem is a cable one so I can't just jump the phone line. I set it up for her to use at collage you see.
Yeah I don't know whats up with the systems. They are kicking ass and taking names (no mare names left to take!). Maybe the 55,000 ave. I had the first week was just a fluke (crosses fingers).

If she is setup for cable she should have a NIC already installed so you just need one on your comp and then the hub. If you have any problems setting up the proxy server let me know and I will try and remember how I did it. You have to add a file to the DF folder but it was easy.
Unread 07-08-2003, 12:39 PM   #7
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 8, 2003:

Still 32nd, but a team is coming up fast from behind that will knock us down to 33rd for while.

Our production has stepped up to a little over 500,000 a day. If we can keep that pace and increase it we will be in good shape to get in the top 30 teams overall.

Keep up the good work!
Unread 07-08-2003, 04:49 PM   #8
Boli
Cooling Savant

Shame I can't hack into the universities computer network and set it up as a service on the entire network (that about 1,000 PCs at about 500mhz )

Though if anyone had access to a network...hint hint. ;p Half the people that run those things don't have a clue about services and such. You might be able to get two weeks work out of them beofer they find their CPUs are using 100% usage all the time and decide to reinstall ;P
Unread 07-08-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
my work alone could generate some insane amounts of traffic... 1500 machines, with 60% being 800Mhz P3's and higher end P4 1.8ghz boxes.

but it wouldnt be right
Bah! Fire them up! I could get the one's I have at work going. All 2gigs worth between 5 computers. Pisses me off. I could certainly use a higher power computer for some of the graphics I do on the laser but yet I am stuck with a P3 500 with 196megs of PC100. But the boss just bought a $4,000 Dell for himself and a $4,000 Dell for the second man down in the company and all they do is check e-mail on them.
Unread 07-08-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

I got another 550 folding last night so that should get some more numbers out.
Now in #12 place...
I'm hopping to get to 7'th place before the week is out
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:40 AM   #11
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 9, 2003:

Looks like our production is increasing! Over 500,000 a day now.

We just got bitch slapped by TyOwainInstitute, but we also passed Team ARP so we are still in 32nd place! Looks like UK is on our hit list. After that it will be an uphill battle to gain positions as we are a couple million points behind the rest of the teams.

Looks like Boli is on a pretty good run today!

Good work guys, keep it up!
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:47 AM   #12
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Bah! Fire them up! I could get the one's I have at work going. All 2gigs worth between 5 computers. Pisses me off. I could certainly use a higher power computer for some of the graphics I do on the laser but yet I am stuck with a P3 500 with 196megs of PC100. But the boss just bought a $4,000 Dell for himself and a $4,000 Dell for the second man down in the company and all they do is check e-mail on them.
Yup that sounds about like my grad school experience too. Doing computational chemistry that took overnight on a Gateway P2 266 while boss used P4 1.6 to check e-mail (via PINE even). Such is life I guess.

On the flip side I have the nice systems at work now
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #13
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

the "use of public clock cycles" cant happen on production hardware, so as I get non production goods, I will put them to use

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:10 PM   #14
Phant0m51
Cooling Savant

*UPDATE*

We're currently in 31'st place. Hopefully my 3 computers will keep up the pace for the next few weeks. If my computer starts processing like yours Jaydee, then it'll be sweet.
Unread 07-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Phant0m51
*UPDATE*

We're currently in 31'st place. Hopefully my 3 computers will keep up the pace for the next few weeks. If my computer starts processing like yours Jaydee, then it'll be sweet.
I got 4,940mhz of AMD power between 3 rigs right now doing all the work. I think I can get some more out of one comp once I get around to water cooling it. I think I can tweak another 200-300mhz from them all. Just have to get around to doing it.
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:03 PM   #16
Aardil
Cooling Savant

Finally got my server back on line (only 900 Mhz but better than nothing) had to delete and reload the folding program on main PC yesterday got an error thet wouldnt let it launch. Tried everything I know and only thing that worked was delete it and reload so both PC's 2gig AMD and 900 AMD are folding now but are at Gen. 0

I am trying to help all I can both pc's run 24/7 and are folding whenever idle

Aardil
Unread 07-10-2003, 01:44 AM   #17
Boli
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Looks like Boli is on a pretty good run today!
Don't ask me how... I only have two comps. with nothing like the specs you lot are quoting. I thought I'd only do 30k a day... not 90k *wonders*
Unread 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM   #18
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Boli
Don't ask me how... I only have two comps. with nothing like the specs you lot are quoting. I thought I'd only do 30k a day... not 90k *wonders*
It is crazy how it jumps around. I had only two computers with about 2.8gigs of power combined and I averaged over 100,000 for a few days and then it dropped right back down to 50,000.... Added a 3rd and it went up to 55,000 and now they are leveling off around 90,000. Just the way the client works...
Unread 07-10-2003, 02:12 PM   #19
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 10, 2003:

We are in 31st place.

iggiebee has joined up and is crunching away! Welcome aboard!

That makes 29 members with points on the board!
Unread 07-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #20
Cova
Cooling Savant

Well, I may or may not catch up this weekend. I just put up a P4 2.6C @ 2.8 (stock cooling, can't change it) and it's folding away, but at the same time my main rig (Barton 2500+) will be up and down a lot as I put the water-cooler on it and use the weekend for experimentation on what it can do. Gotta get stuff ready for Fragapalooza starting mid next week (is anyone else around here coming?).

BTW - I'm a 100% AMD guy, I just borrowed that P4 system (well, MB, CPU, and RAM) from work for a friend to use at Fragapalooza, and it's the first Intel system I've built in ... as long as I can remember. I know P4's have good thermal protection built in so I'm not worried about damaging anyting, but I think I might be forcing it to throttle down the speeds a lot. What are average temps for a retail-HSF (with retail thermal pad) P4 2.6C?
Unread 07-11-2003, 09:37 AM   #21
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Stats have been down for a long time. I have been down 1 computer for about 12hrs now and it will not be up untill after work tonight (maybe). Have a lot of re-aranging to do. Have to go out of town most of the weekend and not sure if I will have 2 of three up and running before I leave or not...
Unread 07-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #22
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 11, 2003:

We have passed the 8million point mark!

Output is a little down. Some of that is my fault as I have had a comp down for about 24hrs now. Might be shutting them all down tonight as I need to re-arrange all of them and finally get around to putting the Thermocoupler on my Abit KD7 so I can start testing some blocks. So this weekend would be a good chance for catching up to the #1 spot! Not sure what I will be able to get up and running by Sunday night. Have to go out of town most of tomorrow....
Unread 07-12-2003, 05:22 AM   #23
Khledar
Cooling Savant

Mmm Fragapalooza - I always wanted to goto that as a kid (Well I still am a kid) but we have fragmart out west here now - ahhh... :P

I'm not sure about a 2.6C exactly but my 2.4B running at 2.8ish with stock HSF was just under 50 idle room temp prolly around 25-27. That's also considerably overvolted 1.8Vish. At stock-stock it was about 35 idle. But that's a 2.4B - closer than an AMD but - not quite there.

This folding is really not cooperating with my P4 Celery - it works and all but it's just so much slower than my P4 :P

Also, is it actually worth it to setup a P3 450 or a 166mmx?

P4 2.4B @3.01Ghz 167FSB :: Abit IC7 :: 2x256MB HyperX PC3700 :: ASUS 9600XT :: WD Raptor 2x36GB RAID0
Unread 07-12-2003, 09:46 AM   #24
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Khledar

Also, is it actually worth it to setup a P3 450 or a 166mmx?
The P3 450 I would give a try. Don't bother with the 166, you will just rack up your power bill for no reason with it.
Unread 07-13-2003, 09:33 PM   #25
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 13, 2003

We passed up 9million points!

We have put up some pretty good numbers this weekend. Cova is on a good run and Joe is doing good to.

Still in 31st place.

Keep up the good work!