Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Pro/Crunching - Distributed Computing Teams
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Pro/Crunching - Distributed Computing Teams Home of the ProCooling.com Distributed Computing Teams.

Unread 07-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #51
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

i do thank you.

client: i dont know, but the "what's new" file has an update dated 7/22/03 so im guessing its new.

text version

dfgui?

service?

winxp home

no other apps

i use ctrl+alt+del to see how much cpu load is, never goes above 50%

any suggestions?
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #52
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Well it's been a while from my last checking on this.

Mine is running, but quite slowly compared to what I'm used to seeing.

Will try that patch and if that doesn't work I'll dump it and reload from jump street.
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:23 PM   #53
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by jovetata
i do thank you.

client: i dont know, but the "what's new" file has an update dated 7/22/03 so im guessing its new.

text version

dfgui?

service?

winxp home

no other apps

i use ctrl+alt+del to see how much cpu load is, never goes above 50%

any suggestions?
When you get into the XP system monitor what else is using the rest of the 50% of the CPU power?

Don't worry about DFGUI or running it as a service for now.
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:28 PM   #54
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

nothing else, foldtrajlite.exe is using 50 and system idle process is using 50...

i just noticed the work lite in there... could this be it? thanx
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #55
MadHacker
Cooling Savant

Quote:
nothing else, foldtrajlite.exe is using 50 and system idle process is using 50...

i just noticed the work lite in there... could this be it? thanx
I just thought perhaps you have a dual CPU system and it is only using one CPU?
i don't know howit runs on a system with hyperthreading enabled.
anybody have that?
Unread 07-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #56
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

i have that and it using 50% on both. well, just about 50 on both.
Unread 07-27-2003, 01:00 AM   #57
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
i have that and it using 50% on both. well, just about 50 on both.
I didn't know you had a dual system. Sounds like it is pulling 50% off each CPU or 100% off one CPU and it registers 50% as Idle. You should be able to run two clients I would think. One for each CPU. How to set it up that way I don't know.
Unread 07-27-2003, 07:21 AM   #58
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

naw man, i have hyperthreading. so like on one cpu it shows like 30-50 and on the other it mimics the opposite, like when one's at 30 the others at 50...

anyone with intel and hyperthreading can please help me out?

im looking at the stats and am in the lead so far muahahah, im gonna leave this comp folding 24/7 if i can cuz like till i find a way to put 100% load this thing hasnt slowed down one bit.
Unread 07-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #59
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Well I reloaded the whole thing and it's smoking along nice now.

Strange how the size of gen has shot up to 10K of structures. But it's running a lot faster now so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Be interesting to see how this change affects scores.
Unread 07-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #60
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

well, im looking at the stats and my one computer is in the lead for the day i guess. but its still at 50%... and my temps are not that high, definately not full load.. well any suggestions to get this thing opperating at full efficiency would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 07-27-2003, 04:50 PM   #61
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
well, im looking at the stats and my one computer is in the lead for the day i guess. but its still at 50%... and my temps are not that high, definately not full load.. well any suggestions to get this thing opperating at full efficiency would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe this will help
Quote:
There are more than a few folders out here that run single HT enabled chips as two CPUs and dual HT processors as 4 CPUs.

Just make multiple copies of the client, and run them from different directories....

I have one quad HT processor Xeon box that runs 8 copies of the folding client....
Unread 07-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #62
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

actually, yes it did help, 90-100 load now i should be putting up some nice numbers

<== comp yesterday
<==== comp now
Unread 07-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #63
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
actually, yes it did help, 90-100 load now i should be putting up some nice numbers

<== comp yesterday
<==== comp now
Tear it up! Looking for some competition at the top of the stats.
Unread 07-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #64
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

thank you, so far im taking u all in daily prod for last two days i dont think ill turn off my computer from now on

shit, i might as well build up some new ones from the spare parts i have at home, what do u think, ones a 700 ones a 1000 and i can have em both up in two hours if it'll help, just need some sinks for em, cuz the old now reside on my vids mem
Unread 07-27-2003, 07:51 PM   #65
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
thank you, so far im taking u all in daily prod for last two days i dont think ill turn off my computer from now on

shit, i might as well build up some new ones from the spare parts i have at home, what do u think, ones a 700 ones a 1000 and i can have em both up in two hours if it'll help, just need some sinks for em, cuz the old now reside on my vids mem
They will certainly help. More the better!
Unread 07-27-2003, 07:54 PM   #66
Aardil
Cooling Savant

Well Crap,
Back to one PC
My Server that I just got back on line a week ago is dead again, Appears to be a power supply that finally died. ( this was an old power supply that was giving intermitant problems before but always worked for a quick check to see if the one I was working on had a bad power supply). I will try to get to the store this week and get a new PS for it and get it back to folding.
Sorry for the let down but at least I still have one PC folding thats better than none.
Aardil
Unread 07-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #67
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

July 28, 2003:

Looks like we are recovering from the update SNAFU. Although I still see a few members havn't uploaded anything after that issue.

We are still in 27th for the moment but DPRGI is creaping up on us.

Non the less doing good! Keep it up!
Unread 07-29-2003, 02:17 AM   #68
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

is there a way to wake up these members that are not folding? cuz like we have upwards of 25 dead weight members... can someone like e-mail them or something? :shrug:
Unread 07-29-2003, 09:37 AM   #69
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
is there a way to wake up these members that are not folding? cuz like we have upwards of 25 dead weight members... can someone like e-mail them or something? :shrug:
Don't know their e-mail addy's. One could probably see if the DF name is the same as their forum name and PM them....
Unread 07-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #70
jovetata
Cooling Neophyte

true, well jump on it hotshot you the "leader"
Unread 07-29-2003, 12:00 PM   #71
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
true, well jump on it hotshot you the "leader"
Lol, no one elected me team leader that I remember.
Unread 07-29-2003, 12:40 PM   #72
Cova
Cooling Savant

Just curious about that post you made up a bunch there jaydee - has anyone actually done any research into whether running one or two instances is faster on a HT processor? Just watching CPU useage is meaningless in this instance as no version of windows (except 2003 I hear but I haven't verified it yet) can tell the difference between a real second CPU and a virtual cpu created by HT. Because a second virtual HT cpu still has to share execution pipes inside the only real physical CPU, if the first instance is already using near all of those pipes the CPU is actually running at 100% load (and the virtual CPU is doing nothing, so windows reports 50% load), and adding a second instance will just make the CPU switch tasks around more often, incur more overhead, and slow down the entire process.
Unread 07-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #73
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Cova
Just curious about that post you made up a bunch there jaydee - has anyone actually done any research into whether running one or two instances is faster on a HT processor? Just watching CPU useage is meaningless in this instance as no version of windows (except 2003 I hear but I haven't verified it yet) can tell the difference between a real second CPU and a virtual cpu created by HT. Because a second virtual HT cpu still has to share execution pipes inside the only real physical CPU, if the first instance is already using near all of those pipes the CPU is actually running at 100% load (and the virtual CPU is doing nothing, so windows reports 50% load), and adding a second instance will just make the CPU switch tasks around more often, incur more overhead, and slow down the entire process.
From what I am gathering across the forums running two instances will be faster over all per generation than running just one on the same computer. It will not get you "double" the output though.

Here is one reference thread.
http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...hyperthreading
Unread 07-30-2003, 02:05 PM   #74
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Is there something weird going on with the client? I had both my main folding systems suddenly just quit. They hang at the minimization of energy of best structure for nearly a day? I eventually just deleted the folding directory on my notebook and started over because I got an error after closing the client and restarted it. I just radmined into my main desktop PC and I see the minimizing energy blue box again (and it seems like it has been stuck there for a long time). Should this minimization take 12 hours or longer?
Unread 07-30-2003, 02:29 PM   #75
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
Is there something weird going on with the client? I had both my main folding systems suddenly just quit. They hang at the minimization of energy of best structure for nearly a day? I eventually just deleted the folding directory on my notebook and started over because I got an error after closing the client and restarted it. I just radmined into my main desktop PC and I see the minimizing energy blue box again (and it seems like it has been stuck there for a long time). Should this minimization take 12 hours or longer?
What are you using to "see this minimizing energy blue box".

Make sure you have downloaded the new client after the botched update last week.