Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-25-2002, 05:00 PM   #51
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nice idea, but the noise would still be there, it'd just be redirected.

Some fans have a ring around the blades (i.e. as part of the blades). They're used to better seal the intake from the exhaust, thereby giving those fans the ability to handle a higher pressure, as they leak very little air back. It's probably negligeable though.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 12:40 PM   #52
dcrainman
Cooling Neophyte

I think I have found the answer to my prayers... that is if this crazy idea works

http://www.overclockers.com/tips857/

One on either side of the case ought to do it
dcrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 02:58 PM   #53
Cova
Cooling Savant

In a fan the blades (specifically the tips of the blades) make most of the noise of the fan. But the noise they make is based more on the speed of the tip of the blade than the size of the blade. This means that as fans get larger, even though the motor is doing fewer RPM's the outside edge of the blades still may be moving faster.

As for air movement, obviously bigger blades moving faster moves more air, at the side-effect of more noise.

To maximize the amount of air moved for a certain amount of noise, you will want to have the biggest blades you can (big fans) moving as slowly as you can to get the air you need. Doing things like polishing the blades can also reduce the turbulence caused by the fan and reduce the noise even further.

In general, for computer use the best airflow for the least noise will come from running a 120mm fan at a lower voltage. And it has the added benefit that if you need cooling on demand you can temporarily increase the voltage back to the full 12V.
Cova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 03:13 PM   #54
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cova
In a fan the blades (specifically the tips of the blades) make most of the noise of the fan. But the noise they make is based more on the speed of the tip of the blade than the size of the blade. This means that as fans get larger, even though the motor is doing fewer RPM's the outside edge of the blades still may be moving faster.

As for air movement, obviously bigger blades moving faster moves more air, at the side-effect of more noise.

To maximize the amount of air moved for a certain amount of noise, you will want to have the biggest blades you can (big fans) moving as slowly as you can to get the air you need. Doing things like polishing the blades can also reduce the turbulence caused by the fan and reduce the noise even further.

In general, for computer use the best airflow for the least noise will come from running a 120mm fan at a lower voltage. And it has the added benefit that if you need cooling on demand you can temporarily increase the voltage back to the full 12V.
You've read my war story...

It should be mentioned that aircraft propelers are not bigger, because the weight would be too great (they'd sheer off), and because they would be too powerfull (they'd snap off of the spinner). Better materials haven't made any difference, I suspect because the weight is the primary concern, where wood is still the best option.
Unread 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM   #55
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

and?

nt
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 03:53 PM   #56
gmat
Thermophile

I think he means that prop aircraft havent got ONE big ass propeller just because of mechanical constraints.
BTW planes have not gone the way of "dozens of little propellers"... wonder why ? :grin:
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #57
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

...because they're not noisy enough...!

I never said that multiple fans was more efficient, in fact, it's very likely to be very INnefficient. In a plane, there's no room for the additional weight of the bigger engine.

...it's still quieter...
Unread 06-26-2002, 07:46 PM   #58
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

lol, the spruce goose (or is it the spruce moose? damn that Simpons episode!) has lotsa fans, and it can fly about as good as a turkey

and prop planes are damn noisey lol. i bet multiple smaller props would be a lot louder and.........................

you know what, this thread has gone WAYYYY the hell off topic lol. how in the world we got from "springy hoses" to airplane props is beyond me. congrats to whoever the thread hyjacker was; masterful execution hahahahaha
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2002, 07:42 AM   #59
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.