Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 10-07-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
winewood
Cooling Savant

Default Radiator and Fans on outside of case

Well, I just build a tiny shroud. Then I was thinking... this is easy. So I drew up a side mounted radiator and fan attachment that could be bolted to the side of my case.

It was made to free up room in my case for a LARGE res., and a different pump configuration. In addition, I was hoping to lower some temps by moving to a transmission cooler. Its not painted yet, as I enjoy the clear to show off the inner workings. Later I will paint the thing.

The fan controllers are between the top of the fans and the blue acryllic cover. The blue is just plastic I have yet to remove from the clear sheet. I am able to turn down the fans for quiet, or turn them up for MUCH more noice, and many times the airflow through the rad. The tubing runs into the case in between the psu and the back of the cdrom drive.

Now that I have discovered fiberglass, expect many more things from me. Really, the only thing you have to limit you is your imagination.
Attached Images
File Type: gif newrad.gif (46.7 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by winewood; 10-07-2003 at 12:15 AM.
winewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 12:10 AM   #2
winewood
Cooling Savant

This is a pic of my shop, next post... with the monster mounted.
Attached Images
File Type: gif shop.gif (62.6 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by winewood; 10-07-2003 at 08:27 AM.
winewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
winewood
Cooling Savant

mounted
Attached Images
File Type: gif mounted.gif (72.6 KB, 305 views)
Unread 10-07-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
maxim
Cooling Savant

excellent idea! but do you think you could figure something out for those hoses? you could run them inside the prizm shroud if you made the rad outlets point inside as well.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
winewood
Cooling Savant

Actually, I could have placed the hoses lower, but I wanted to keep the hoses higher to keep the water in the radiator when I turned off the pump. This way the resivoir doesn't spill over. (I have a smaller one)
If I had a larger res, then I would have made the hoses come into the front of the case (from the side). I may do that next time, but I didn't have time to make the res before I fired it up.

I would suggest to anyone making this to consider placeing the tubes lower.

If anyone wants the specs to make one, I'll post the dimensions. If the rad case was any bigger, the tubing couldn't fit over the top of it into the case at the rights spot over the mobo. If it was any higher, the headloss from the pump would be considerable I think.
Unread 10-07-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
joemac
Cooling Savant

That is some nice work - very NICE ...
Unread 10-09-2003, 05:49 PM   #7
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

The internal watercooling kit is one level of perfection, but can never match the efficiency of an external unit. Very nice.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #8
cristoff
Cooling Savant

why not just have it on the outside without the prizm..? just flat?
Unread 10-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
winewood
Cooling Savant

Quote:
The internal watercooling kit is one level of perfection, but can never match the efficiency of an external unit. Very nice.
Actually, this kit allowed my internal temps (case) to drop by 3C over my previous setup, and it allows me to have a TON of room in my case area. My temps also go back down (after gaming or cpuburn) much faster than before. My case temps used to slowly creep up and remain inflated even with 3 internal fans blowing.

Now, be it that my previous heatercore stunk?? or this setup is better than my dual fan push/pull config... I don't really know. I fail to see how not putting "any" residual heat into the case, and not using any heated air to cool the rad can be a bad thing. I made sure there is no holes for air to bleed out, it all goes through the rad. I consider a "very nice" from you airsipirt, high praise indeed.
Quote:
why not just have it on the outside without the prizm..? just flat?
Without the tent effect, the air will have no way to have air flowing through the rad. If it was flat against the case, it would be very difficult to release any heat from the rad via airflow. Plus, I don't have to use hotter case air. I made sure the profile of the angle didn't make the air have to "turn" to enter the rad. Its a strait shot, and with the angle, it blows through the rad a tiny bit longer. (not much.. but hey, I'm reaching here )
Unread 10-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Well, when the system is fully internal you have the case air heating which isn't good and you also have to make design sacrifices that impact you cooling loop's performance. You can't help it. Doing it like you did allows you to design it without consideration for inside space and gives you a more optimal configuration. That's why an internal unit can never be better than a properly designed external unit. The very nice part was due to your design, which i think is very classy.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #11
poMONKey
Cooling Neophyte

nice job, winewood! cool design and work...

i went external too:

[ top view ]

i just hung the rad on alum straps and layed the pump on the cool floor. just couldnt see puting all that hot stuff into my case with the other hot stuff! plus, its portable too... been to 2 lan parties and no probs.

nice work again!
1024mb xms 3200 cl2

Cascade wb
DangerDen gpu wb
Eheim 1250 ~ 1/2" system
D-Tek heatercore - 2 x 120mm

__ HAIL ERIS __
poMONKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2003, 06:46 PM   #12
winewood
Cooling Savant

Thanks alot.. I appreciate the compliment.

Is there any way to mount your external rad to the outside of the case? At my lan parties, I have no room on the table to set anything. Plus people are running wires across everything and knocking my table sitting stuff over. I was thinking your box could sit in a hole cut into the top and act like a chimney.

Sure was easy to mount, but there is alot to be said about flexiblity. I don't think I will go back to internal radiators anytime soon. I enjoy the temperature difference WAY to much.
Unread 07-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #13
Bevel
Cooling Neophyte

I think external is the only wat to go - colder air outside case = colder cpu
Bevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
CYberDruid
Cooling Neophyte

Looks cool! But won't a large res add to case temps?