Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 11-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #26
Rote8
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Snap Server 4500 - No OS installed. :doh:

You said you lost 3 of 4 drives?
Remove the three "bad drives"
Take the one good drive and boot the filer.
Install three new drives and let the OS sync to those new drives.
Or....
Send your one good drive to someone with a working 4500, let them plug it in and have the OS sync to that drive.
Rote8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #27
audit
Cooling Neophyte

Re: Snap Server 4500 - No OS installed. :doh:

What if a OS reinstall went bad and and out of the 4 drives, non of them will boot? I've pulled out every drive and put each one into slot 1 and non of them will boot. What's next?

Right now all I get on the Screen is "Failed to boot from all devices System Hang !

Last edited by audit; 12-29-2009 at 11:52 AM.
audit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #28
blue68f100
Thermophile

try the com port monitor/admin and see if you can revolk the recovery console.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #29
audit
Cooling Neophyte

I have the monitor plugged into it. How do I try the com port monitor/admin? So far I've tried swapping out each drive and I can't get it to boot at all, just sits there with a blinking cursor.

This is what I started with, now it doesn't even show that except maybe once in every 15 reboots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue68f100 View Post
try the com port monitor/admin and see if you can revolk the recovery console.

Last edited by audit; 12-30-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Unread 12-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
Phoenix32
Thermophile

If your OS is blown, as it appears it is, then you need to pay Overland (or someone like myself) to get a drive up and running the OS again.

phoenix32x@hotmail.com
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #31
Rote8
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit View Post
What if a OS reinstall went bad and and out of the 4 drives, non of them will boot? I've pulled out every drive and put each one into slot 1 and non of them will boot. What's next?

Right now all I get on the Screen is "Failed to boot from all devices System Hang !
Send one drive to some one with a working 4500.
Rote8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #32
audit
Cooling Neophyte

That's the problem, they won't pay to have things fixed like this, they expect me to do that for them and my job counts on it.

There's GOT to be a way to get it up and running and I've googled myself to death trying to figure out a way to get it running again. I had a good backup and restored all the data to another server so we're running on that but starting xmas eve, the server started rebooting for no reason, I went in on xmas and spent the entire day trying to figure out why and all I saw in the logs was the force start the fan. But system status said the fans were ok. I took the cover off and used the aircan to make sure all the dust was cleaned out of the server and it was steady for about 1/2 day and then back to rebooting for no reason again, saying power outage but non of the other servers that are plugged into the same UPS had the same issue.

I've called every person I know to see if I can borrow their 1st drive to get this up and running again and everyone has moved away from SNAP's and gone to SANS's because of the problems they were having with them.

I found a 4400 on ebay but I just can't afford to purchase it myself right now due to my family's health problems and bills, otherwise I'd buy that real fast and use that drive to image fix this one.

Is there anyway that you can PM me on how to fix this issue, I'll paypal you up to a certain amount if we come up with the number that matches what you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix32 View Post
If your OS is blown, as it appears it is, then you need to pay Overland (or someone like myself) to get a drive up and running the OS again.

phoenix32x@hotmail.com
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #33
blue68f100
Thermophile

I would be worrying about hardware failure. It's very unusual to loose that many hd's at once. If their Maxtor drives that explain it all..........

Unread 12-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #34
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rote8 View Post
Send one drive to some one with a working 4500.

Pretty much what I told him (in a way)
Unread 12-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #35
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
I would be worrying about hardware failure. It's very unusual to loose that many hd's at once. If their Maxtor drives that explain it all..........
I agree, the hardware failure is primary here.

David, I have spoken to him, and I suspect memory, but no way of knowing for sure, and he does not have spare parts (even memory) to swap with. But there is a hardware problem here IMO (and I told him same).
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #36
audit
Cooling Neophyte

Phoenix32, Call me when you get a chance.
Unread 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #37
audit
Cooling Neophyte

Well it's not memory and I thought that it could be the 1st GIG port because it went into a reboot loop after I put in the new memory and a seed drive with a fresh GuardianOS on it. Once I plugged into the second GIG port then I was find and everything looked like it was copying to all the drives and then it rebooted again and now it seems like at times, with no Ethernet cable plugged in, it was able to stay up, but as soon as Ethernet was plugged in then it rebooted.

Now here's where I hope I didn't make a major mistake, I wiped all 4 drives in the system, put the new drive in slot one and booted it up but all the other drives were in the system also. I made the mistake of leaving the drives in instead of pulling them out. BUT the system came online with GIG 2 plugged in and once I assigned it the IP address and renamed it, it rebooted like I knew it would. But now it doesn't want to come up at all with Ethernet plugged in or not. Sometimes it comes up and sometimes it doesn't. I tried with just the seed drive in and no Ethernet and it comes up and will sometimes stay up for awhile but then other times it reboots, I've tried with just the seed drive in and ethernet but it won't stay up, just rebooting.

Now I'm lost and don't know where to go from here. I'm thinking about taking the other 3 drives out and wiping them again, although it takes all day on the only desktop that I have available to me and I don't see it when I attach it to an external USB drive and booting using the UltimateBootCD. It only see's it if plugged into the cable on the VERY old desktop.

I still have 1 seed drive that I just put in without the other 3 drives, it booted up but in recovery console mode when I got to the web interface, I hit reboot with just the seed drive in. Nothing else and have been waiting 20 minutes for it to come back up, not even a light on the drive and nothing on the monitor. Should I let it sit like this all day/night and see if it's back up when I come in tomorrow and then if I can get to the main web interface, put the other 3 drives in and let them sync?

Last edited by audit; 01-04-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #38
blue68f100
Thermophile

If it comes up in recovery console and you did not install OS, just rebooted, and it has not come up in 10 min it's already 4-5 min late. If all drives were installed it will use the Watchdog to cycle through all of the drives, looking for one to boot/work.

I would not bother in wiping the HD's. It sounds like you have a serious hardware problem. I only do Quick Erase most of the time. The only reason to do a full is to condition and check the media. If I want to do some extensive testing on the HD I would use SpinRite.

Now with the network cable working as switch, have you used different cables and ports to confirm them good.

If I recall NiC port 2 is used if a static is assign to nic1. I had to use nic2 on mine when I first got it. After I reset it to pull a IP address from DHCP server, I have not looked back.

Have you removed your exp cards and reseat all hardware, ram, cpu, disconnect and reconnect to insure a good connection.

You may want to make arrangements for Andy to look at it.

Unread 01-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #39
audit
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Now with the network cable working as switch, have you used different cables and ports to confirm them good.
Tried different cables and different ports on the switch, no dice.

Quote:
If I recall NiC port 2 is used if a static is assign to nic1. I had to use nic2 on mine when I first got it. After I reset it to pull a IP address from DHCP server, I have not looked back.
The drives I got were factory DHCP so nic1 didn't have a static, I found both nic1 and nic2 in my DHCP on my Domain Controller's DHCP console.

Quote:
Have you removed your exp cards and reseat all hardware, ram, cpu, disconnect and reconnect to insure a good connection.
Pulled everything out, went through about 8 air cans cleaning anything out and looking for anything lose.

At this point, I'm just waiting to hear what my boss wants to do next and hope the hammer doesn't fall on me. We all know that when a hardware failure happens like a power supply, memory or Motherboard, there's nothing that's going to tell us that it's about to fail so we can get it fixed before something like this happens. I just don't have the people above me that understand that.
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #40
blue68f100
Thermophile

About the only warning you will get is on HD's. Bad PS can drive you nuts too, and cause strange problems. MB/System boards just start acting strange then go south.

If you had a system contact with Overland they may be able to ship you a replacement unit. But these are old hardware design, which I like. You can pick up cheap units on ebay if you need a replacement. Even one without sleds you should get real cheap.

Unread 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #41
audit
Cooling Neophyte

I just priced out a 1TB 410 on provantage.com and sent that to my boss. Between the warrenty cost and buying the 410, it would be more reasonable to buy the new server and be done with it.

It would be nice if I could get the old 4200 from him and then send it out to Phoenix32 and have him troubleshoot it but I doubt that'll happen.