Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-24-2000, 09:47 PM   #1
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

Default Recomendations for Project double header

MORE airflow past the ENTIRE surface of your radiator.

If you have a house fan nearby grab that just to test it.

If the radiator is warm to the touch there is a real good chance you can wisk away a decent amount of heat from the water still.

Also if you could do us/yourself a favor by taking temps of everything you can. Water, waterblock, hot side of water block etc.

shadow.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2000, 10:36 PM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Hey I would happily take temps of that stuff, but I dont have the equiptment. Sorry, but cant afford that stuff right now with all the hardware I am moving around.

DONATIONS WOULD BE NICE!! .. Hint Hint

I am going to get me a IR temp reader, one of those instant jobbers. I can use it for tuning the engines on my R/C cars/boats so I can justify the 200$ for it.

I am going to be looking at Meci for a bigger 120v fan, something thats maybe 8" diameter or bigger. I am also planning for another mother of a project that will consist of 2 maybe 3 pumps, 6 tec's, and 4 water blocks and a few micro coolers. Also going to a bigger 1/3" tube for the main coolant runs.

When I have a design thought up I will happily post it.

Thanks for your feedback. But in perspective the temps I am getting off these chips isnt that bad. I was looking at my K6-2 350 and it runs at 115 Deg with its stock fan/heatsink. So the 95 Deg for a OC'd P-2 doesnt seem that bad.

But I want better

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2000, 01:26 AM   #3
Rich W
Cooling Neophyte

How much is a 6" or 8" AC fan from Meci?
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2000, 11:01 AM   #4
Joe

I cant find a 6 or 8" fan that runs at 120 or 12v. I can find a 6" but its a 220V fan

I am just going to get 3 more of the 4" metal Box fans that I have now and use a few to cool it.
for 5.95 you cant go wrong!

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 02-25-2000, 11:14 AM   #5
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

Allright bro, I *might* be able to get you a sucker that can take up to 8 temps, only problem is that it polls on intervals of 10.5secs, still you should find it most useful, that's if I can get it before I need to use it myself. It might have to wait till after I am all done with my crap, who knows.

My point about the fans and radiator is that you should still be able to go ALOT lower if the radiator is indeed warm. You might be able to get another bin speed or two out of it.

I'm just trying to help bro. Sorry if I come off another way.

shadow.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 02-25-2000).]
Unread 02-25-2000, 11:27 AM   #6
Joe

Oh no.. I understood exactly what you were saying!! and I really appreciated it!

I am working on getting temps more often and from various sources, so I am also shopping around for different temp sensing devices. But I just cant quite afford the nice instant IR/laser temp reader (it has a aiming laser in it so you know exactly what you are taking the temp of. Very usefull in a crowded case, it costs over 180$ though so I am waiting.)

At spring comdex they did have a company that made a in faceplate temp gauge that also would control fans, and would monitor 4 devices. I am going to try and find the company again... it was VERY cool.

Thanks again for your feed back! and your 8 way temp device would be fine, but I would think you should use it first and then if you dont want it then a donation would be very cool!

------------------
C-ya
Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe (edited 02-25-2000).]
Unread 02-25-2000, 03:46 PM   #7
shadow
Cooling Neophyte

well I prolly never gonna "not" want it bro, I am doing the same things as you, I can lend it to you tho mate. I can also help you find what you are looking for www.millisec.com.

shadow
Unread 06-10-2000, 09:08 AM   #8
Daveg

Are you the same Shadow that built a water/peltier cooler that used two drift0.8's ?
Unread 11-21-2000, 06:27 PM   #9
BruiseAndy
Cooling Neophyte

Check this out. The auction is over but you may be able to throw a deal at him. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=498002335
BruiseAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2000, 05:30 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
Cooling Neophyte

hmmm a simple idea to improve radiator efficiency... simply placing two 120mm fans over the radiator only effectively cools the circular area right beneath the fans, right? so why not leave some space between the fans and radiator, and duct the edges so that the whole radiator surface is exposed? You'll also need to make the holes in the side of the casing rectangular, so as not to disrupt exiting air.

Apart from that, i only have one word to describe the DH3 preview: SCHWEEEEET!
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2000, 09:31 AM   #11
Joe

I agree about standing off the fans from the radiator... I MAY still do that on DH3, I know I can prolly get a 3 deg drop in temp doing that ( via testing Chip @ OCWC did).

but I am concerend about how much space I have to play with and also how much of a pain it may be.

I am ducting with some electrical tape the 120mm fans over the 4" radiator so all the air from the fan must go through the radiator.

------------------
C-ya
Joe
Unread 11-25-2000, 10:44 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
Cooling Neophyte

man, joe, the more i look at that case, the more i think "wow"... Actually i must say you've prompted me to try and house my complete watercooling system (nowhere as complex as yours, just a simgle pump, radiator, and waterblock) into my smallish mini/midtower Enlight 7105E... It can be done, I have about 12x30cm maximum space to fit a radiator on the side, but i will have to hack up the motherboard tray, and make the side panel attached to it...

Hhehe and i'll also have to modify my pump to become inline, by siliconing a brass "nipple" onto the bottom... would that work? or are the designs completely different?

Apart from that, hurry up and finish the write up
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2000, 08:35 PM   #13
Will
Cooling Savant

http://www.bgmicro.com/pdf/page1.pdf

It is basically a 150MM fan that runs on 12V. Provides a bit of air movment (235CFM) but it is rather loud, good thing about it is that at 7V it is really quiet and still pushes 140 CFM ... if you have a wide radiator it would do wonderfully.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote