Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 11-17-2001, 12:38 AM   #1
zoson
Cooling Savant

Default Fight Fire With Fire - OCZ is going down.

This post is quite lengthy, but every bit is worth the read.

First of all. I would like to say that I USED to think OCZ was a good company of hard working people. The only part of that conception that's changed is that I no longer think that they are a good company. They are hard working people, but they have misplaced their loyalties and have sold out for cash.

Before proceeding, I would like to note that this post, along with another letter I have written will be submitted to the Better Buisness Bureau. Attached to the letter (to be submitted in email form) is a 20 minute long 40 megabyte MPEG documenting part of my experience with the store, and a set of extremely high resolution digital pictures that are all marked with an encrypted watermark to prove that they have not been modified from their original source.

For that almost a good half of this year I have been doing forum moderation and providing tech support/advice as a volunteer through these forums FOR OCZ. With little to no benefits. Basically I would get things from their store at a slightly cheaper price than they sell at. I made one purchase from the store during my time "working" for them, and boy, I'm going to let out my frustration about it now. As well as let people know about the questionable things that I became aware of that went on behind the doors of the OCZ store.

My once purchase from OCZ was 512mb of their OCZ Performance Enhanced PC2400 DDR which supposedly had micron chips. It was in the form of two sticks of 256mb each supposedly. I was charged $36 per stick of ram - $9 cheaper than their normal list price of $44.99. I patiently awaited its arrival with high ambition of being able to overclock my computer even higher with this stuff.

The delivery took about a week and a half via UPS Ground. In that time I recieved no tracking number until I hounded the store on the private admin only forum, and directly through email. When the stuff arrived the package was in perfect shape. There was absolutely no evidence of abuse to the package in delivery. Inside I found my two sticks of ram. I looked at the chips, and they were not micron. I inspected the ram more closely and found very questionable physical damage to BOTH sticks. One of the sticks appeared as if it had been burned and the other had a deep cut in one of the ram chips.

In spite of the obvious physical damage to the chips (which I took pictures of) I tried them out hoping that the damage was merely superficial. My fears about the RAM being nonfunctional were correct. One chip only counted to about 100mb of its total 256mb, and the other would generate all kinds of errors in the windows kernel and would never allow the system to boot properly. I tried both sticks individually, and together, with the slowest ram timings, and with varying voltage to try and increase their stability. Nothing worked.

So I called the store and had a very painless RMA done. I recieved the replacement ram a couple days later which I opened again in high anticipation. Inspecting the chips again revealed that they were NOT micron chips. They were instead hyinx chips. I didn't care much because hyinx is a good brand. But again upon further inspection I found very obvious physical damage to the chips on the ram sticks. One appeared to have some kind of compound smeared on one of the chips, and the other again had a deep gash on it (again photographed.)

Once again I tried the chips in spite of their obvious physical damage. This time both chips counted to their maximum 256megabytes each, and my computer loaded into windows. But what was to follow was unpleasant. Memory error after memory error popped up on my screen. Programs were crashing left and right, and nothing would run properly. This was all running at the 150mhz cas2 spec of the ram. I followed the exact same testing methodology as before to no avail. These ram chips were also defective.

How does a store mess up twice, in the same manner, with one of their own trusted friends who has been doing work for pretty much free? I have no idea. At this point I was pretty frustrated so I called the store and told them I was sending the RAM back and that I just wanted a refund.

Everything seemed dandy, but little did I know that there had been irreparible damage done to my motherboard by this faulty and damaged RAM. I had booted my computer off of my roommates ram (which I had been using for the past month or so, working 100% fine.) and then ran out the door down to mailboxes etc to return the RAM before the last UPS pickup.

Upon returning I found my computer locked up, I rebooted and found that it would no longer complete booting, and that sometimes my computer would not even POST. Luckily the motherboard was under warranty and it is being replaced at the cost of shipping for me, which is costing me about 30 bucks (purchased from another company.) Upon returning my roommates RAM to him because my computer no longer functioned at all, we discovered that the OCZ RAM had messed up my motherboard SO bad that my motherboard had toasted HIS RAM as well. So now I'm out another 30 bucks to replace HIS RAM. On top of this, I had to pay for all of the return shipping to OCZ, which was about 10 bucks each time, so that's another 20 bucks. So far what do I have? Nothing except $-80 bucks in shipping and repair costs.

Immediately that same day which I called for my refund I lost all administrative rights on their forums. I had not made any posts except helpful posts to customers about problems they were having.

The next day I found another member having memory problems, and I told him how to test his ram properly, and then I said that I had just had a similar RAM problem - I had not, however specified that it was RAM from OCZ, nor the nature of the RAM problem I had. Immediately following my post in this nature I found my account on their forums deleted and my post as well. This leads me to today and this post - warning all of you never to purchase from this corrupt and irresponsible company. They screwed me - one of their volunteers whom backed them up when hardly anyone else would - and they will screw you too. All they care about is taking your money. They charge your credit card as soon as the order is placed, before anyone looks at your invoice, before anyone in the store even knows your order exists. They take exceedingly long in filling orders, and they make claims about their hardware that cannot be fulfilled.

I have the photographs, and the video to prove all of what I'm saying. If you wish to see them you can email me at zoson@hotmail.com and I can set up a way for you to get them. The word needs to be spread.

Go and post a message on the ocz forums about how they cheat their customers. http://forums.theoverclockerzstore.com
-Zoson

Core i7 930 @ 4254Hz 22x193 | ASUS R3E 901 BIOS | 12GB Mushkin Blackline 3x4GB @ 1547MHz 7-8-7-24-1N | Lian Li PC-A10B
2x EVGA GTX275 SLI @ 720/1266/1566 | 2x 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD Raid 0 | 3x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7.2K Raid 5 | Corsair 950TX
H2O | Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A | EK-FB RE3 | Swiftech - 2x MCW60/GTX275 Unisink, MCP655b, MCRes Micro.v2 | 3x HWLabs SR1-120
あなたの神への弓
Time isn't wasted, when you're gettin' wasted.
zoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2001, 12:59 AM   #2
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Yeh that matches OCZ's repuation perfectly. This is also why ProCooling trys when ever possible to ignore and turn down any site or company remotely associated with OCZ.

What kind of a business plan can you have that banks on screwing customers... I wonder what they will change their name to next?

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2001, 04:00 AM   #3
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Very interesting read. Everyone knows OCZ sucks the fat one.
-Kevin
Unread 11-17-2001, 09:24 AM   #4
Jonas
Cooling Neophyte

the thing i don't understand is why people keep buying from them. this has to be the 1000th post i have seen about this company. who in thier right mind ignores all those posts to place an order with them? thier prices are not THAT good, and thier service certainly sucks ass.

Buy from good companies, and then even when it costs you 5-10 bucks more, buy from those same companies. your $1 is a vote. cast it wisely.
Unread 11-17-2001, 02:56 PM   #5
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

I stopped dealing with them when the Infineon 128MB 7.5ns strip I bought didn't ship for 2 weeks then took over a week to arrive. I was sitting on a complete system except my RAM. But the death of your MoBo and friends RAM sounds just odd. Whatever I would be interested in seeing the pictures.
Unread 11-19-2001, 05:38 PM   #6
Brad
Thermophile

we should try to get people to sticky posts like this at the top of each forum, it would at least stop some people buying from them

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2001, 03:48 PM   #7
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

unfortunately i've heard too many similiar stories (but not to this extent) over on the [H].... in fact i find it suprized that i was suprized at this story... but it fits the reputation they've built for themselves
Unread 11-27-2001, 02:23 PM   #8
Poopyhead
Cooling Neophyte

They developed such a flaming bad reputation in their first inception that they changed the name of the company to OCZ and continued to burn people---looks like its time to change the name again, people are gettin wise to em...
Unread 11-27-2001, 10:56 PM   #9
Brad
Thermophile

I dunno really, people are still going to see links to their products at sites, and are going to check their stuff out. Educated people won't be buying from them, but plenty of people still will

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2001, 09:34 PM   #10
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

I'd just like to point out that if you ran this thread on the Hardforum, you'd be banned.. Long live free speech!
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2001, 01:18 AM   #11
iceheart
Cooling Savant

We could announce November 28 as a holiday, the "Get banned from [H] Forums day"
iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2001, 01:43 AM   #12
Sled_Dog
Cooling Savant

I think we should ice.
Unread 11-29-2001, 03:45 AM   #13
warp_zero
Cooling Neophyte

what was ocz's old name?
Unread 11-29-2001, 04:55 AM   #14
Butcher
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by iceheart:
We could announce November 28 as a holiday, the "Get banned from [H] Forums day"
yes!
Unread 12-01-2001, 02:47 PM   #15
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

true true... the [H] is really rightning down lately which sux but anyways i hope ocz goes down before they can rape anybody else of their money
Unread 12-03-2001, 05:22 PM   #16
WebMasta33
Cooling Savant

You guys want a place to hang out besides [H] forums. Try tweak3d. You can pretty much post anything as long as it's not warez.
--768mb of PC2100 (@140FSB)
--Asus v8200 GeForce3 @ 210/490
--Maxtor 40gb Quiet + 2 IBM 40gb 60GXPs (removable) + 8gb WD
--Audigy
--Maze 3, DD Gf3 block, 2x BIX, Eheim1250
===========
WebMasta33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2001, 12:03 PM   #17
RedTalon19
Cooling Neophyte

good god, i havnt visited tweak3d in forever (at least 6 months).... but yeah i'm a member there too... i'll check it out again
Unread 12-19-2001, 10:17 PM   #18
zoson
Cooling Savant

I'd like to point out that I did post this on [H]Forums. It was probably one of the hottest topics for about a week. Then It got moved to the soapbox forum.
Wasn't banned. They hate OCZ as much as we do.
-Zoson

Core i7 930 @ 4254Hz 22x193 | ASUS R3E 901 BIOS | 12GB Mushkin Blackline 3x4GB @ 1547MHz 7-8-7-24-1N | Lian Li PC-A10B
2x EVGA GTX275 SLI @ 720/1266/1566 | 2x 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD Raid 0 | 3x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 7.2K Raid 5 | Corsair 950TX
H2O | Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A | EK-FB RE3 | Swiftech - 2x MCW60/GTX275 Unisink, MCP655b, MCRes Micro.v2 | 3x HWLabs SR1-120
あなたの神への弓
Time isn't wasted, when you're gettin' wasted.
zoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2001, 04:00 PM   #19
beav
Cooling Neophyte

Dude alan! i told you OCZ was corrupt, but nope...
You toasted my bro's ram dude! hehehe

Good luck with your new w/c setup...
Thank god you are out of the OCZ death grip. I think that psu you bought for my bro through OCZ was faulty too.