Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Mod / System Gallery
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Mod / System Gallery You got your machine all Spiffy'd up? Got the Chrome and the Fuzzy Dice? Show em off! (Free Image Hosting)

Unread 07-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #1
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Default My Monster

This is a reprint of thread at my "home away from home"..PCPerspective, but I thought it may be of interest to others. No SPAMMing intended.

I had been planning this for quite sometime. I wanted a watercooling system that sat outside the PC and was capable of cooling more than 3 PCs with one pump. I first chose a reliable pump:
Custom SeaLife Velocity Silent Aquarium Pump
The worlds quietest and only titanium centrifugal pumps. Designed for all saltwater applications.

2 year no-fault warranty on manufacturer defects
energy efficient
ultra-quiet (less than 30 db)
"Dry Run Cutout" with thermal switch for added safety
leakproof design
noryl housings and impeller
titanium or stainless rotor and separating wall
ceramic bearing ball carbon graphite bearing cap and EPDM O-ring
Rated for temperatures to 140° F and line pressures to 50 psi
1/15th horsepower, 140 Watts, 1.3 Amps
Equipped with mounting bracket, and 18/3 SJTWA 6' power cord

The Velocity T4 Pressure Pump is rated at 1225 gph @ 3' or 240 gph @ 17' and comes with 1" hosebarb inlet/outlet.
(Yes, it's expensive. I'm not suggesting this to anyone else, it's a baby to me...most all the kids are out of the house )]
Next I chose 3 (for now as it's manifolded for more inlets and outlets) Black Ice Xtreme Radiators rated at 3134BTU per hour with Panaflo 120mm High Speed. Model FBA12G12H rated at:
2500 RPM fan speed
103.8 CFM air flow
41.5 dBA noise level
Power Consumption: 7.2W
I used high pressure 1/2" braided high flex hose throughout and connected the PC's with a rather ingenious all plastic full close snap fittings to facilitate removal of PC from loop connected by 3/8" high pressure clear coiled air service hoses.

Some pics of it being constructed in my garage:

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #2
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Here are some pics of he install in my computer "out of control" room:
Three 'Seti Soldiers':

Yes, it's a mess in here:

The cooler unit is mounted on a skid and slides under the table with the "Seti Soldiers" above:

I have no idea where all these hoses and wires go!:

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

The beauty is that the watercooled PCs have nice long heavy duty (150 psi rated) coiled hoses with all plastic shutoff quick connectors. It makes working on the PC really easy and no water loss during disconnect. The second pic I have disconnected one, the pump is still running. This is sweet, let me tellya. It's what made it all worthwhile:

Here is one of the fittings disconnected:

Here are some pics of my personal everyday PC that I use everyday the specs you can see in "My System". It's on a special roller table that pulls right out of the desk.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:36 PM.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Pics of inside the rigs:

Yes, it's one of Cathar's Little River Cascade:

File server running a Maze 4:

More pics later, hope I didn't bore ya to death. This has been a great build and I'm really pleased with it.
The main rig is a ZNF3-150 running:

It used to run about 49 to 50 C on my old watercooled

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

More on the fittings used:

These came from Omega Industries The specs are here. I found them to be very reasonably priced ($7-9 apiece) and very sturdy. Being all plastic, there was nothing to corrode and they are shutoff when disconnected as well as very easy to operate. I remember looking all over creation for hours on the Internet before I found these. They are rated for food service so they meet certain minimum standards. They also have bulkhead fittings which I used on the PCs.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

These are the fans I am running. It's the Panasonic Part No. FBA12G12H1A:

Although I didn't shop at Directron the info and pics are from them.
Quote:
Specs: Rated Voltage(V): 12.
Operating Voltage(V): 7/3.8.
Rated Current(mA): 460.
Rated Input(W): 5.52.
Nominal Speed(r/min): 2500.
Maximum Air Flow: 2.94(m3/min). 103.8(CFM).
Maximum Air Pressure: 6.80(mmH2O). 66.7(Pa).
Noise(dB-A): 41.5.
Size: 120 x 120 x 38 (mm).
Yes, they are a tad noisy, but you should have heard the place with a bunch of "delta screamers" going all the time! LOL.
I've read several places that these particular fans aren't the favorites, but what I like about them is that I can readily slow them down with a single plug in:

I found this at a local hardware store and it works great! As you can see it has many voltage settings and is all solid state and very inexpensive! At 460mA, the 3 fans I am currently using draw 1.3A so I stay well within the 1.5 specs for the transformer. If I add more fans (you know I will! (LOL) I just add another transformer and terminal block (and have no connectors, perfect for my install) and I'm off and running.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

I am now using a TDX brass top cooler from Danger Den on the main rig.

Here is a simple way to hook up the fans with the voltage regulator/transformer:

The new brass top Danger Den TBX:

That's bulletproof!

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Well, that's the gist of it. Not too pretty, but very functional and easy to work on. I've got another pump coming, will rebuild manifold to allow 3 more connections. Three more fans will install right above the lower three, although I am considering using 1 large rad for them and pushing everything through it in series. Not sure yet. Thing is, is I can play around with it relatively easily by simply switching hoses.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 07-25-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Your pictures are nothing but an "invalid referrer" image
Unread 07-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
firtol88
Cooling Savant

They work if you cut and paste the URL, ASSHOLES and cookies...

http://www.photobucket.com
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2004, 06:13 PM   #11
mogwai
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
In mozilla firefox go to about:config and set "network.http.sendRefererHeader" to 1. That takes care of the problem for me.
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
In mozilla firefox go to about:config and set "network.http.sendRefererHeader" to 1. That takes care of the problem for me.
Yep that fixed mine!

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2004, 12:14 AM   #13
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

I was gone at work, sorry for the confusion, I'll fix it ASAP!
Unread 07-25-2004, 12:46 PM   #14
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

OK, Photobucket it is! I completely forgot BBpix wasn't supported here.
Unread 07-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
Never showed up on my browser till I cleared out cookies, crap!
Unread 07-25-2004, 12:49 PM   #16
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by firtol88
They work if you cut and paste the URL, ASSHOLES and cookies...

http://www.photobucket.com
Uhhhhh, that's "Mr. Assholes"....
Unread 07-25-2004, 03:47 PM   #17
mogwai
Cooling Neophyte

Nice setup, I have something similar. Somehow puting an ac current motor (EMF) and a heater core (leaks, hot air) in a pc does not seem like a good idea to me. Is that pump a velocity T4? The T3 would probably give you more flow since that loop looks real restrictive. I was considering getting one of those, but figured that it was overkill for less than 5 boxes. Maybe when I get more machines.

I like those quick release fittings. I need some of those.
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2004, 05:44 PM   #18
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
Nice setup, I have something similar. Somehow puting an ac current motor (EMF) and a heater core (leaks, hot air) in a pc does not seem like a good idea to me. Is that pump a velocity T4? The T3 would probably give you more flow since that loop looks real restrictive. I was considering getting one of those, but figured that it was overkill for less than 5 boxes. Maybe when I get more machines.

I like those quick release fittings. I need some of those.
Thanks. I used the T4 because it has a greater Delta P factor based on GPM/head. I necked it down to 3/4 at the pump discharge. I've watched the coolant flow through the tubing, it screams through the lines. There is a need to open the discharge bypass when disconnecting just one PC. At present I have only 3 PCs connected. Just got goods for 2 more.
They still have those fittings, I ordered some last week. They work really well, no leaks when disconnected and less than a thimbleful loss when disconnected.
Unread 07-25-2004, 06:01 PM   #19
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

http://www.coolworksinc.com/iceprobe...um_chiller.htm
I am considering this for my next purchase. It's rated at 50w, it's a submersible Peliter. I need to get accurate temps on my coolant prior, so I can see what thermal load I need first, however.

If it proves to be too high for this, I can implement another one, or I can use one of these more substantial chillers:

The CL-280 is rated at 1/10HP. http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/chillers.html

Anyone have experience with this type of cooling? I'm looking to chill the water to just above ambient so there will be no condensation at the motherboard. If I could get the coolant to 15 C, I'd be happy! The system presently uses less than 1 gallon of liquid total.
Unread 08-01-2004, 03:22 AM   #20
Titan151
Cooling Savant

I have tried two different aquarium style water chillers. The first was peltier based and more or less didn't work for jack. If you read the fine print on most peltier based aquarium water chillers you will see that they state they will not go below amby. So the coolworks ice probe is out of the question. As for the other chiller, it may work if it can handle the heat load. What kind of BTU rating do these have? I have an aqua logic CC25 unit that keeps my mobile at around 10C. The unit is rated for 1500 BTU's. I would reccomend a unit with a higher rating then this one. Many people around here are also making chillers out of AC units. This might be a goud way to go as these can be obtained for under $100.

One other thing to consider is that you will have to bypass the aquarium temp control unit so that it will stay on all the time. In most cases the temp controller on these units is limited to just above freezing if not higher. For my unit I run it 24/7 with not temp control. The thing I like best about my chiller is that it doesn't consume too much power. Being at -40 would be nice and all, but when that power bill comes in the mail, it's no longer any fun.

Oh, I like the pics! Nice work.
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX

Last edited by Titan151; 08-01-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2004, 03:59 AM   #21
trit187
Cooling Savant

that sh!t is huge!!

thought the scenery looked familiar, i'll be up at UW inabout 3 weeks. oh and nice houses in the background....
oh and like the coiled hoses.. seem to work well
trit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2004, 09:51 AM   #22
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan151
I have tried two different aquarium style water chillers. The first was peltier based and more or less didn't work for jack. If you read the fine print on most peltier based aquarium water chillers you will see that they state they will not go below amby. So the coolworks ice probe is out of the question. As for the other chiller, it may work if it can handle the heat load. What kind of BTU rating do these have? I have an aqua logic CC25 unit that keeps my mobile at around 10C. The unit is rated for 1500 BTU's. I would reccomend a unit with a higher rating then this one. Many people around here are also making chillers out of AC units. This might be a goud way to go as these can be obtained for under $100.

One other thing to consider is that you will have to bypass the aquarium temp control unit so that it will stay on all the time. In most cases the temp controller on these units is limited to just above freezing if not higher. For my unit I run it 24/7 with not temp control. The thing I like best about my chiller is that it doesn't consume too much power. Being at -40 would be nice and all, but when that power bill comes in the mail, it's no longer any fun.

Oh, I like the pics! Nice work.
Thanks, I did more research and reconsidered. I have now a 2K BTU chiller which I will install in an adjacent attic. (Don't want any more heat pumped in here! 8-10 PCs running at any given time now....hotter that heck!) It has a remote temp thermostat/monitor which will work well. I also got another T-4 to help out with more PCs and to use to recirculate cooled water. The chiller is rated at such a low GPM I'm not sure how it will pencil out yet. How is yours configured?

Any pics???
Unread 08-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #23
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trit187
that sh!t is huge!!

thought the scenery looked familiar, i'll be up at UW inabout 3 weeks. oh and nice houses in the background....
oh and like the coiled hoses.. seem to work well
Well, drop a line when you get close! I have a real watercooled project in the backyard:

Unread 12-11-2004, 11:02 PM   #24
Stav's
Cooling Neophyte

that looks laike mr miagi's backyard. nice lookin you have a whole lot of rigs. if you werent on water cooling i wouldnt put your antec in such a confined space.

also do you find all your L joins restrict your flow rate noticably?

edit: (sorry to bring up such a dead topic, i found it in search)
Stav's is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2004, 12:51 AM   #25
Uncle Bob
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav's
that looks laike mr miagi's backyard. nice lookin you have a whole lot of rigs. if you werent on water cooling i wouldnt put your antec in such a confined space.

also do you find all your L joins restrict your flow rate noticably?

edit: (sorry to bring up such a dead topic, i found it in search)
I have a Lian Li PCV 1000 in there now. I have 6 PCs cooled via the system now and it works great.