Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 04-04-2001, 09:46 AM   #1
emtp563
Cooling Neophyte

Default 1.33Ghz Bird/156W TEC

ok guys, I am expecting FedEx to deliver my 1.33Ghz T-Bird anytime today. I am worried that my 156W TEC won't be enough to cool this monster. According to Radiate, this chip will generate 86W of heat at 1.5Ghz (1.85V).

My current T-Bird generates 67W of heat at 1.2Ghz (1.8V).

I have a 156W TEC from TE-Dist and I am running it at 12V (80% Q-Max.)

Do you guys think I'll have to rip out the TEC and rely on water-cooling alone?
dual boot W2K Pro/XP Personal
32Mb ELSA Gladiac
Swiftech MCW-462 water block
156W TEC
see it all here: Anthony's Thunderbird Overclocking
emtp563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2001, 04:34 AM   #2
lancelh
Cooling Neophyte

Man!!! where did you hear that the 1.33ghz generates that much heat! AMD, Maximum PC, and many other sources say that this chip is quite a bit cooler than that of it's predecessors. I would wait and see but I can answer your question.

A 157w pelt is enough to cool that bad boy. If you have an extra power supply around you should consider supplying the pelt with 24v. (Bridge the PS's in series.) I to am ordering a 1.33ghz T-Bird, and I have a water cooling system, I was leaning tword the 87 watt pelt, because I am using a fridge to cool the water. I don't want to deal with condinsation problems with a HEAVY DUTY 157watt peitier/water cooling system. You'll be fine with the 157 watter and a powerful DC supply, and I would definately re-check that heat issue with the 1.33ghz because I have heard the exact oppisite from many sources. What size supply are you using with what components in your system?

Make no mistake about it, 157 watt pelt's are frequently talked about. . . But the bottom line is as popular as they sound, they are for extreme cooling purposes, and most people use them not because they need it, but because it's over-kill. Used in the right way they can chill anything. Look into "ARTIC SILVER" Heat transfer grease at millisec.com if you havn't already, put it on the CPU, and in-between the pelt, and W-Block. What temp do you want to run at anyway? Post back here when you get this, I am curious.

Good Luck
Unread 04-07-2001, 05:11 AM   #3
UnaClocker
Cooling Savant

Frankly, I think Maximum PC is smokin crack, do you have any URL's pointing to anything AMD has said about the AXIA cores using less power? I have seen no proof of that.. The only thing they do is overclock higher. I'd say run the pelt, see how cool it gets your CPU, if it's goin much over 80f at full load, yank it and see if you can beat that without a pelt.. Also if your full load/idle temps swing alot, you may want to run without it to prevent stressing the CPU too much, unless your like my and don't care if you stress your CPU. ;>
UnaClocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2001, 09:48 AM   #4
emtp563
Cooling Neophyte

There has been no design change whatsoever in the 1.33Ghz CPU. This is still the same old .18u core. If AMD shifted to .13u, I would be able to see your point as to this chip running cooler. THis chip is not .13u, nor is it Palomino. MAYBE when they say "this chip runs cooler than it's predecessor" they are referring to the 1.2Ghz chip. Under-clock a 1.33Ghz chip, run it at 1.2Mhz and I'm sure it will run cooler.

In this forum we are not talking about underclocked speeds or even stock speeds. We are talking about speeds unheard of just one month ago! At 1.6+Ghz, these chip require some serious cooling. The current core was not designed to run this fast. The Thunderbird is near the end of it's life at 1.33Ghz. Why do you think Palomoino is set to be released?
dual boot W2K Pro/XP Personal
32Mb ELSA Gladiac
Swiftech MCW-462 water block
156W TEC
see it all here: Anthony's Thunderbird Overclocking
emtp563 is offline   Reply With Quote