Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Brodie
Cooling Neophyte

Default 1100 - disk not found

Hey guys. I've read through some of the posts on here and I think I may have come to the right place.

I have a snap 1100 with the single 160 gig drive and I'm having a small crisis. Everything was working fine until this morning when my power went out. My snap boots up and during the process there is HDD activity but when the machine is booted I can't access any of my files and when I go to the web interface to check the disk status it says no disks are found. Now am I boned? Or do any of you folks know of something(s) I can do to try to retrieve my data?

Any help at all will be most appreciated. Thank you.

Brodie
Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: 1100 - disk not found

It never cease to amaze me on how often a power outage corrupts data. Which can be very easly prevended with a $35 UPS.

Well, thats a little odd, in most cases you loose the capability to boot, too. Which indicates that you may just have some file corruption.

Remember you can not move the HD to any other system and read it. If you have not made a copy of the boot tracks you may want to do it at this time. So just encase you have to replace the HD you will have the OS to install. (instruction in wiki).

If you login to debug what does the "co de info" give and "i l p -1" Post your findings.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
Brodie
Cooling Neophyte

co de info gives 'Invalid Logical Device ID' sometimes with a 0 after it...sometimes a 'C' and sometimes it gives different numbers. (Please forgive my ignorance, I don't know what any of that means)

and

i l p -1 gives nothing because the connection times out.

Hope that sheds some light.

You know, the crappiest part of this is that I bought media to back up all the data on Friday night and hadn't had the time until today to actually back it up. I have got to have the worst timing ever.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie

You know, the crappiest part of this is that I bought media to back up all the data on Friday night and hadn't had the time until today to actually back it up. I have got to have the worst timing ever.
That is called "Murphy's Law"...

I know because Murphy follows me around just to make new rules...
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
Brodie
Cooling Neophyte

Yeah. It seems like he's a constant thorn in my side too. One of these days I'm gonna track this Murphy down and crack his skull. That is if the hammer doesn't fall apart on me.
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
blue68f100
Thermophile

If you can't read the info the HD is failing. See if you can copy the first 15-25 meg of HD to use for another HD using the dd instruction in wiki. If so you may have dodged 1 bullit. If yuu have another drive the same mfg, I have swapped controller boards in the past and got some back. But be very carefull, if the media is self destructing, ever time you start it the more damage is done. After you have copied the boot tracks, and if you do not plan on using a recovery service. Try SpinRite by GRC. It works at the contoller level and does not inturpit the data structure, just bit by bit.

If you require the data, contact Snap-Tech. He runs a recovery service and can help you out. He is 25-75% cheaper than the competition.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote