Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
Jobe
Cooling Neophyte

Default 1100 Recovery

Had a friends 1100 go down, getting the no disk error. Was out of warranty so I threw the drive in my FreeBSD box and get all kinds of errors from dmesg and smartctl. Threw another HD in there to see what would happen and from the LED codes on the wiki looks to just sit in Diagnostic mode (system + disk light flashing in sync) Was hoping I could replace the drive with another but after reading these forums it looks that I need a boot image for the HD? He cant find the CD but we haven't given up yet. If we don't find it is he sol? Would suck to lose the data and the entire device.

Info from the snap server as follows:
1100 series OS: 4.0.860 (US) HW: 2.0.2 bios: 4.0.855

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by Jobe; 04-17-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: 1100 Recovery

Snaps use a modified XFS file system, no other system can read there hd's. The led patern you mention is like some one tried to reset the snap and did not complete the access. If it's waiting for an OS it's normally a 1 x 2 code.

Try to copy the first 25meg of the hd using DD to a img file. If so you can recover from a HD failure. If the HD spins up, try SpinRite it may recover enough or repair the hd so it will boot again. If it fails at the 4-5% area, the HD is bad.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote