Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 04-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
iikagen
Cooling Neophyte

Default waterproofing the slots

i was wondering, because you can put dielectric grease in the cpu slug to waterproof it, can u put dielectric grease in the slots (pci, agp, etc.) to wp them? or will the contact of the connectors be an issue?
iikagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
BGP Spook
Cooling Savant

Default Re: waterproofing the slots

I am not familiar with the term CPU slug so my fist impression is to assume you mean the IHS.

But then your statment, "because you can put dielectric grease in the cpu slug to waterproof it," does not make any sense to me.

Do you mean the socket area immediately around the CPU then?

I don't think you really ever want to put anything but actual expansion cards in any of the slots. Though, I suppose you could technically put dielectric grease in them, why would you want to?
Barring immersive liquid cooling, I can't think of any reason to do it, but that is something I am not as familiar with.

Something like THG did, http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/..._out_the_fans/
Unread 04-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Fragger56
Cooling Neophyte

Location: Hong Kong, China (if you dig for long enough straight down you may reach my home!)

i think by slug he means socket, and you should be able to put dielectric greas in the slots with no harm as the stuff does not conduct electricity, but i doubt taht you would want to clean it out of them if you ever needed to, as the stuff is nasty to get rid of (atleast the stuff that ive had to use on external aluminium wiring for the mains, sticky black goopy crap thats more like glue than grease)
To be watercooled:
DD RBX
Maze4 chipset
silverprop Cyclone fusion HL
swiftech MCP-600 pump
custom aquatube based rez
Fragger56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
redleader
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iikagen
i was wondering, because you can put dielectric grease in the cpu slug to waterproof it, can u put dielectric grease in the slots (pci, agp, etc.) to wp them? or will the contact of the connectors be an issue?
You can use dielectric grease on AGP slots. In fact, if you're going much below ambient, its more or less standard (particularly with phase change).

If you're planning a phase change system, you should definately look into this issue now, rather then later.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
metarinka
Cooling Neophyte

just out of curiosity is anyone still doing direct die waterblocks? I could see using dielectric grease there
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Butcher
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragger56
i think by slug he means socket, and you should be able to put dielectric greas in the slots with no harm as the stuff does not conduct electricity, but i doubt taht you would want to clean it out of them if you ever needed to, as the stuff is nasty to get rid of (atleast the stuff that ive had to use on external aluminium wiring for the mains, sticky black goopy crap thats more like glue than grease)
You can get less viscous translucent dieletric greases which work just as well. Still, if you need to clean it out, it;s going to be a pain - expansion card slots are awkward to clean.