Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 08-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #1
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Default Install a service as a client?

Does anyone know here how to install a service on a box with w2k/xp, if the user is just a client, not an administrator?
This must sound like hacking ( and it is), but its just i have so much acess to computers that are continuously idle that could be folding...
satanicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Default Re: Install a service as a client?

Quote:
Originally posted by satanicoo
Does anyone know here how to install a service on a box with w2k/xp, if the user is just a client, not an administrator?
This must sound like hacking ( and it is), but its just i have so much acess to computers that are continuously idle that could be folding...
Make sure you get permission. People have gone to jail, lost jobs, and been sued for doing what your suggesting. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it can be. With that said I have no idea how to do it anyway.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Cannot be done unless you are a totally r33t HaX0r. Some software doesn't require admin status, but anything that accesses the registry MUST be installed by an admin.

Oh, and what Jaydee said. He is absolutely correct. Even though it may seem innocent, just imagine trying to explain to the boss why one of his machines isn't working as fast as it should, or why something goes haywire because of what you installed. I've seen someone get fired for installing stuff before.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2003, 09:40 AM   #4
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

I was thinking on doing it at my school.
dozens and dozens of P4 1.8 GHZ for web surfing!
Anyway, i would need to make it run on every user, not only me, so i would need to install it as if I were the administrator...

OK another idea: as a service, the program runs with no window or systray icon. How should my foldit.bat be configured to run this way?
Im thinking now on putting a shorcut on the startup folder of the all users folder!
Unread 08-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #5
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Let me reiterate what jaydee said...

That being done, if you check out this link , you may get a few ideas.

No need to be a l33t HaX0r.

Bob
Unread 08-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by utabintarbo
Let me reiterate what jaydee said...

That being done, if you check out this link , you may get a few ideas.

No need to be a l33t HaX0r.

Bob
thanks dude! exacly what i need!
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
BrianW
Cooling Savant

Will only work, if school admins are lame, and allow booting from other devices. But most are, so you should have no problem.

BrianW

Flow: Res, Pump, CPU watervlock, Y into both rads, both rads into res independently.

Athlon XP 1800+ (@ 1731 - 150mhz fsb.), on a Asus A7N266-c, and a Radeon 9000 *waiting for RMA'd Saphire 9800 ultra from Newegg)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2003, 07:29 PM   #8
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

You very well may get charged with computer crimes if you use that on someone else's machine. Be careful, man ... I don't want to hear about you going to pound-you-in-the-ass prison for a tour ....
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote