Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Unread 09-30-2003, 01:18 PM   #1
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Default no POST :/

hi ive constructed my own watercooling, but now im in troble :\

Ive installede everything and the water cools fine - the trouble is that the computer dosent boot. Everything lights up but the screen dosent turn on. Ive checked that everything is plugged in and ive reset the bios, what else is there to check? it has run with water before but ive custumized it to have bigger ID in the blocks. I dont think that there needs to be fans connectede since it has run with water before.

He-eeelp plzzzz!

thx in advance
*klonk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
SGSeeker
Cooling Neophyte

My motherboard does that after messing around with it sometimes (with beeps). I have to leave it unplugged from the outlet overnight for it to work. I don't know why it does it, but it does. The same thing happened when I first bought it.

Give it a try. I don't guarantee it'll do anything though, as I don't even know why it does it.
SGSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

ok, that was what i intented too cuz im friggin tired now been working on it for 9 hours straight.

One of my fears is that i somehow damaged the core when i mounted the WB but there dosen't appear to be any physical damage. What about the RAM? should i be able to gather that from the behaviour? I don't have a buddy who has neither the same kind of CPU or RAM so i could test it :\

Anyways thx, ill try to see if it works again tomorrow and anybody else are welcome to point me in the right direction in the meantime
Unread 09-30-2003, 02:41 PM   #4
joemac
Cooling Savant

Default Re: no POST :/

Quote:
Originally posted by *klonk*
hi ive constructed my own watercooling, but now im in troble :\

Ive installede everything and the water cools fine - the trouble is that the computer dosent boot. Everything lights up but the screen dosent turn on. Ive checked that everything is plugged in and ive reset the bios, what else is there to check? it has run with water before but ive custumized it to have bigger ID in the blocks. I dont think that there needs to be fans connectede since it has run with water before.

He-eeelp plzzzz!

thx in advance
Does it beep ? If so try reseating the video card. Listen for beeps, if you get no beeps you either don't have a speaker or the cpu is dead.
Unread 10-01-2003, 02:24 AM   #5
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: Re: no POST :/

Quote:
Originally posted by joemac
Does it beep ? If so try reseating the video card. Listen for beeps, if you get no beeps you either don't have a speaker or the cpu is dead.
I tried another gfx-card and no dice. Are you -certain- it's the CPU? what about the RAM or something else? On the other hand, if the chipset was ruined then there would be no lights or nothing right?
Unread 10-01-2003, 02:44 AM   #6
msv
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by SGSeeker
My motherboard does that after messing around with it sometimes (with beeps). I have to leave it unplugged from the outlet overnight for it to work. I don't know why it does it, but it does. The same thing happened when I first bought it.

Give it a try. I don't guarantee it'll do anything though, as I don't even know why it does it.
If Your patience doesn´t allow a overnight wait, do the good old exorcism: Unplug the PSU from the wall socket (no incoming power to PSU) and start the computer. Of course the computer won´t start but it drains all capacitors on motherboard immediately.
A friend raised a dead motherboard after a BIOS upgrade this way.
regards
Mikael S.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnen mihi habis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
msv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 03:28 AM   #7
leejsmith
Cooling Savant

You could try removing everything including cpu , ram , any pci cards , agp cards and all hdd / fdd cables.

if you mobo has a clear cmos jumper set that to clear and power up the mobo.wait a couple of mins then power down.
remove the clear cmos jumper and put the cpu back in the socket.

Depending on the mobo it should give a post error indicating you have no ram.
power down and insert 1 stick of ram and try again. this time you should get a differant error for no vid card. If you have any spare ram it might be worth trying that just in case.

also check mains cables for duff fuse or even faulty psu.

I am sure you have tried all this but it's worth trying each part.

good luck
Unread 10-01-2003, 04:36 AM   #8
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by leejsmith
You could try removing everything including cpu , ram , any pci cards , agp cards and all hdd / fdd cables.

if you mobo has a clear cmos jumper set that to clear and power up the mobo.wait a couple of mins then power down.
remove the clear cmos jumper and put the cpu back in the socket.

Depending on the mobo it should give a post error indicating you have no ram.
power down and insert 1 stick of ram and try again. this time you should get a differant error for no vid card. If you have any spare ram it might be worth trying that just in case.

also check mains cables for duff fuse or even faulty psu.

I am sure you have tried all this but it's worth trying each part.

good luck
I sounds like good advice and i will try it soon as possible (i have to move around my desk and stuff to make room for the comp). I have a couple of Q's though: there isn't one of those "batteries" of LED's that is used for troubleshooting (like i have on my MSI - this is a ASUS mobo) so i need the vid (which is working), so are you talking about deciphering beeps from the pc-speaker?
2'nd Q: my native tongue isn't english so could you pls. explain what duff fuse is?

Thx, i hope some of your advices will raise it :\
Unread 10-01-2003, 04:42 AM   #9
leejsmith
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by *klonk*
I sounds like good advice and i will try it soon as possible (i have to move around my desk and stuff to make room for the comp). I have a couple of Q's though: there isn't one of those "batteries" of LED's that is used for troubleshooting (like i have on my MSI - this is a ASUS mobo) so i need the vid (which is working), so are you talking about deciphering beeps from the pc-speaker?
2'nd Q: my native tongue isn't english so could you pls. explain what duff fuse is?

Thx, i hope some of your advices will raise it :\
A1 yes the number of beeps from the speaker will tell you what is wrong.

A2 the fuse in the mains lead.
Unread 10-01-2003, 05:31 AM   #10
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

i *think* i found the fault - it seems that one of the tiny(argh - no native english tongue remember? :P ) 'wires'/printcircut/pffft around and leading up to the CPU has been cut :\ it sits just by the mounting holes and apparently the bolt has cut it. Dosent that seem very likely that that is the fault? that would account for the CPU seeming dead right?

I think i have to send in the mobo and play innocent and see if they will replace it (X my fingers)
Unread 10-01-2003, 05:49 AM   #11
leejsmith
Cooling Savant

yes that will kill the mobo or at least stop it working correctly.
you should use plastic washers on your bolts.

good luck with the return.
Unread 10-01-2003, 01:33 PM   #12
joemac
Cooling Savant

Do you have any pic's to show ? You could try soldering the cut trace...
Unread 10-01-2003, 01:58 PM   #13
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by joemac
Do you have any pic's to show ? You could try soldering the cut trace...
I don't have pics no, i sent it in today. The techsupp. said that they usually just replace the ASUS mobos so i hope they wont see it.

I thought about soldering it, but looking back at my skills with soldering much bigger stuff i concluded that that would be a very bad idea to attempt

My fater-in-law teaches Robotic tech. at a university so i suppose he could do it - if they decide to throw it back at me i will forward it to him

It is something that would require a needle point soldering iron which i don't have.

Thx for all of your replies - been very helpfull and informative
Unread 10-01-2003, 07:23 PM   #14
SGSeeker
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally posted by msv
If Your patience doesn´t allow a overnight wait, do the good old exorcism: Unplug the PSU from the wall socket (no incoming power to PSU) and start the computer. Of course the computer won´t start but it drains all capacitors on motherboard immediately.
A friend raised a dead motherboard after a BIOS upgrade this way.
regards
Mikael S.
That's what I have to do to reset the cmos, otherwise the system starts when I pull the jumper. Leave it unplugged for a few minutes and hit the power button a few times within that time. It doesn't do anything. I have to leave it for 7 or more hours. I'd like to believe this is only my board, but the KT3 Ultra and Ultra2 aren't great boards in the first place. Dad had a fully loaded Ultra, I have a feature-stripped Ultra2.
SGSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #15
winewood
Cooling Savant

Did you reseat your processor? Then only time my board did this, was when my processor was loose or not in all the way.
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #16
*klonk*
Cooling Neophyte

still waiting for the vendor to send my mobo back *sob*

One week and counting *bitch bitch whine whine*

On the positive side, ive found something almost as good as plastic washers, made out of rubber that had to be cut to fit the mobo. Can't get hold of plastic washers....

Damn i don't have to tell any of you how hard it is to be without your 'preeeciiious' for a whole week :\

When it gets around PM ( 0.53 AM now) i'll call 'em up and put some pressure on them ( like i have anything to threat with heh)

When i get it back i'll let you all know how my new homemade watersys works - accompanied by some pictures maybe