Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 02-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
ACS2006
Cooling Neophyte

Default Snap 2200, losing drives and my mind.

Hi all,
I have a 2200
Model: 2000 series
Software: 2.4.790 (us)
Hardware: 2.0.3
Server# 801690
BIOS: 3.4.758

It originally had two Maxtor 80gb disks in it set up as a mirror. One of the two failed so I backed up all my data. I came across another 80gb disk and installed in place of the failed drive. The server formatted the "new" 80gb disk and all was ok for a minute. I looked at the disk status and it still showed failed mirror. Had I known of this forum at that point I might be in better shape however...

So, being that the "old" drive was noisy, I removed it and the SNAP booted fine with the new drive, it just didn't have any data (which was ok as I have backups). I went into the share area and changed all my shares to this new drive and all seemed ok. I began to move my data back onto this single drive SNAP unit and it was working great for the first 40gb. At that point, something happened (nothing physical like power outage or anything obvious) and the data simply stopped copying. I was getting about 4mb/sec throughput, and it dropped to 1.5k/sec and then nothing at all.

So I began troubleshooting it, tried various methods of getting data on there and nothing worked. Odd thing is that access to the data that did make it on is super fast, and I can pull data OFF with no problem, just can't put anything on it. I can create new folders and create documents, just can't copy from any source to the SNAP.

Thinking that the issue could be the disk and as I have backups, I decided to do a chkdsk. Well, it starts the check and gets to 5% and simply stops.

I'm at a loss for what to check or do next. I think that my only copy of this O.S. is what is on the disk that's in there and won't check past 5%.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Tony
ACS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
blue68f100
Thermophile

Default Re: Snap 2200, losing drives and my mind.

Make a backup of your boot tracks from any of your working drives. We normally use DD for this. Instructions in the wiki section, or links in faq's.

Do your have quata setup?
And are you still in a raid 1 setup?

Make sure your cooling fan is working, and have you allowed the 2200 to cool off? Have you rebooted the 2200?

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
ACS2006
Cooling Neophyte

At this point, it has no RAID at all and only one drive in it. I have tested this drive with an application, and it passes the diag. Both the original drives now fail the same diags. I'm not using quota's and have the networking stripped down to just windows over TCP/IP.

The fan is working, although I think that cooling may be an issue as I have the case stripped off because of all the disk switching I'm doing. I have rebooted several times and each time by the time I can get into the admin, it's checking and at 5%. It is currently off cooling completely down to see if that makes a difference.

I guess I'll start the process of getting dd installed on a boot disk and attempt to backup the files.
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
ACS2006
Cooling Neophyte

Is there a way to manually cancel the disk check?
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

The XFS file system keep what is know as a superblock data and ft in a section about 5% into the drive.

I used SpinRite on several HD that I suspected were bad and they all fell in the same 5% area. This is a media/disk problem with the drive. I suspect the XFS use this part of the drive very heavy, maybe cache of file table. So if you have a copy of SpinRite give it a try. I suspect you have a drive(s) going south. Run the maintance (2) option. It will switch over to recovery if it encounter a problem.

Have you looked at "co de info" to see if the drive is reporting properly.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #6
ACS2006
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, have a little time today to take a crack at transferring the OS image. My first question is, can I use the DD for windows to do this, or do I have to boot to the CD? I'm reading the FAQ and it seems like the DD for windows came after the FAQ was written.
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
re3dyb0y
Cooling Savant

The windows should be fine

At worse, you need to run a live cd of linux - ie knoppix

Snap Server 2200 v3.4.807
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
w/ UNIDFC601512M Replacement Fan

"Did you really think it would be that easy??"

Other NAS's
1x NSLU2 w/ 512mb Corsair Flash Voyager
Running Unslung 6.8b

1x NSLU2 w/ 8Gb LaCie Carte Orange
Running Debian/NSLU2 Stable 4.0r0

250GB LaCie Ethernet Disk
Running Windows XP Embedded
re3dyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Phoenix32
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by re3dyb0y

The windows should be fine

At worse, you need to run a live cd of linux - ie knoppix
Sam, I am not sure I agree with that. I would use the Boot CD. I would not take any chance of Windows mounting the drive, because if it does, the data goes to bit heaven.
Phoenix32 is offline   Reply With Quote