Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 11-05-2003, 01:33 AM   #26
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
This will be the base for all the NB and GPU blocks. it all just works out to well. This is designed on the KT333 which should be the same size as the KT400 on my Asus and Abit boards.
Looks huge considering the fact that the mounting holes are actually in the base...why don't you post some measures. IGES file would be nice as well...

BTW could you, please, let me know the exact KT400 NB measures?
tex707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #27
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by tex707
Looks huge considering the fact that the mounting holes are actually in the base...why don't you post some measures. IGES file would be nice as well...

BTW could you, please, let me know the exact KT400 NB measures?
Here is a Acad2000 2D .dxf and a SolidWorks2003 3D IGES of the KT400. Note these are my measurments. they are not 100% perfect. They are slightly rounded. According to my micrometer I am about 1/32-1/64th off on the die, but the body ahould be good.

http://www.customcomp.us/KT400/kt400.zip
http://www.customcomp.us/KT400/NB.zip

Also here is a IGES of my NB block pictured:
http://www.customcomp.us/KT400/GPU.zip

And a picture of the ACAD2000 drawing:

Once I get the drawing done in ACAD of the GPU I will post a .dxf of it aswell.

Also be warned I have not doubled checked the mounting hole spacing. I was going to cut out a template on the laser at work today but didn't have time. Will try agin tomorrow. So if anyone makes one before I do just keep that in mind.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #28
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Here is the deminsions for the cooler:

Once again I have not confirmed the mounting holes.
Unread 11-06-2003, 02:39 AM   #29
tex707
Cooling Savant

OK, it looks like KT400 is smaller than KT133A NB....or at least smaller than the 3D model of KT133A I am using for CAD.

Here are three screenshots...please don't mind bad render, I haven't had too much time to fiddle around with it. From the drafting enclosed you will see that NB HSF mounting holes distance that I've measured vary slightly from those you have posted. However, I have a waterblock attached to my BM and these dimensions seem to work fine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nb.jpg (70.0 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by tex707; 11-06-2003 at 02:45 AM.
Unread 11-06-2003, 02:53 AM   #30
JokerF15
Cooling Neophyte

hrmm good source of information here for those who want to make NB blocks =P.

tex707: The design posted above that looks liek the double ying yang, its identical to the Gemini Blocks www.geminicool.com. =P.

You got some good skill though as far as rendering, wish I had that.

-JokerF15
JokerF15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 07:42 AM   #31
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerF15

tex707: The design posted above that looks liek the double ying yang, its identical to the Gemini Blocks www.geminicool.com. =P.

You got some good skill though as far as rendering, wish I had that.

-JokerF15
I've mentioned that it is made to look like a block I've seen somewhere....please take a look at the previous page:

"This is done with CATIA V5...and is just a model of a W/B I've seen somewhere...will make a 3D model of the acrylic top and the whole assembly these days."
Unread 11-06-2003, 08:56 AM   #32
JokerF15
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I've mentioned that it is made to look like a block I've seen somewhere....please take a look at the previous page:

"This is done with CATIA V5...and is just a model of a W/B I've seen somewhere...will make a 3D model of the acrylic top and the whole assembly these days."
Yup I did read that, wasn't criticizing, but letting you know which block you had remembered =P.

It's not a bad thing, it just shows that the idea isn't bad and that it is useful if more than one person has thought of it.

-JokerF15
JokerF15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2003, 09:49 AM   #33
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerF15
Yup I did read that, wasn't criticizing, but letting you know which block you had remembered =P.

It's not a bad thing, it just shows that the idea isn't bad and that it is useful if more than one person has thought of it.

-JokerF15

OK, thanks for letting me know. However, I've just visited the page from the link that you've mentioned and found out that it is NOT the W/B I've seen....those guys make simple spiral blocks, and the one I've seen is not nearly like that....will try to find the original photo.

Here's the complete assembly I've just finished....maybe we should work on some new design here since it is obvious that we have enough knowledge...let me know what you think, guys...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg complete_assembly_2.jpg (44.4 KB, 269 views)
Unread 11-06-2003, 10:31 AM   #34
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
OK, it looks like KT400 is smaller than KT133A NB....or at least smaller than the 3D model of KT133A I am using for CAD.

Here are three screenshots...please don't mind bad render, I haven't had too much time to fiddle around with it. From the drafting enclosed you will see that NB HSF mounting holes distance that I've measured vary slightly from those you have posted. However, I have a waterblock attached to my BM and these dimensions seem to work fine...
That isn't a correct drawing. I got a ABIT KT7A with the KT133A I brought to work and just measured it and it is identical to the KT333/KT400.

[EDIT] Well that drawing might be right. The mounting holes seem to very from board to board... But the body and die are the same regardless.

Last edited by jaydee116; 11-06-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #35
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

BAH!! The mounting hole pattern for the pin block is for the AMD761 NB on the Epox 8K7A. I totally forgot I used that board for the specs.

Once I get home tonight I will measure the hole pattern for the ASUS A7V8X-X. I will have to measure the pattern on the ABIT KD7 later. Those are the two boards these will be going on. When I pull the ABIT out I can then measure up the GF 440MX aswell.
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:31 AM   #36
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
That isn't a correct drawing. I got a ABIT KT7A with the KT133A I brought to work and just measured it and it is identical to the KT333/KT400.

[EDIT] Well that drawing might be right. The mounting holes seem to very from board to board... But the body and die are the same regardless.

Well...I don't know what to say....right now I use the very same W/B with the same clamp (mounting holes 60mm apart = 2.362") on my new NF7-S with nForce2 NB and it fits perfectly...I've modded the board so the NB is pushed up to 2.1 V and the rear face of the board right under the NB is not even warm...
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:35 AM   #37
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
BAH!! The mounting hole pattern for the pin block is for the AMD761 NB on the Epox 8K7A. I totally forgot I used that board for the specs.

Once I get home tonight I will measure the hole pattern for the ASUS A7V8X-X. I will have to measure the pattern on the ABIT KD7 later. Those are the two boards these will be going on. When I pull the ABIT out I can then measure up the GF 440MX aswell.

I have a 3D model of a GF2...with a W/B attached (the same one I am using right now)...will send you an IGES file if you want it....
Unread 11-06-2003, 11:43 AM   #38
tex707
Cooling Savant

This is what I had in mind when mentioning a 3D model of a GF2 video card....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gf2.jpg (38.2 KB, 255 views)
Unread 11-06-2003, 12:02 PM   #39
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
I have a 3D model of a GF2...with a W/B attached (the same one I am using right now)...will send you an IGES file if you want it....
Sure. And I just confirmed the AMD 761 hole pattern on the EPOX 8K7A is also identical to the KT133A and I got 2 5/16" center to center diagnaly. I got both HS in my hand from both boards and the holes line up perfectly.

BUT on my ASUS A7V333 the hole pattern is way different! I got 2 1/16" center to center diagnaly AND the holes are NOT at the tips of the corners. I will measure up my other boards when I get home tomight...

here is a pic of my Asus A7V333 NB hole pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nba7v333b.jpg (28.5 KB, 249 views)
Unread 11-06-2003, 12:58 PM   #40
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I just confirmed my hole pattern for the Abit KT7A and the EPOX 8K7A. I cut a peice of plastic out on the laser with the deminsions in the pic. Sure is going to suck of the A7V8X-X and the KD7 have a different hole pattern. Well just more design work I guess....
Unread 11-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #41
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Forgot to attach pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kt133afinal.jpg (27.1 KB, 247 views)
Unread 11-06-2003, 03:36 PM   #42
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I just confirmed my hole pattern for the Abit KT7A and the EPOX 8K7A. I cut a peice of plastic out on the laser with the deminsions in the pic. Sure is going to suck of the A7V8X-X and the KD7 have a different hole pattern. Well just more design work I guess....
Well...the difference between 1.65" and 1.67" is marginal....if you have just a little bit of play between the bolt and the holes in the motherboard, it could pass unnoticed.

Of course, I'll change my 3D motherboard model according to your measurements...
Unread 11-06-2003, 03:43 PM   #43
tex707
Cooling Savant

OK, jaydee....how about this impossible-to-machine version of your NB waterblock...???....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nb_3.jpg (70.2 KB, 253 views)
Unread 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM   #44
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
OK, jaydee....how about this impossible-to-machine version of your NB waterblock...???....
That is pretty damn cool! It is millable but not sure I can do it.

Quote:
Well...the difference between 1.65" and 1.67" is marginal....if you have just a little bit of play between the bolt and the holes in the motherboard, it could pass unnoticed.

Of course, I'll change my 3D motherboard model according to your measurements...
Yeah it souldn't matter. I am not sure which is to specs but I know mine works. The holes line up perfectly with the HS holes. Also note this is slightly different than the first block in the zip file. I had 2.38" diagnaly on it and this one is 2.33". I am concerned about the ASUS and ABIT board i got at home which these blocks are being built for. If this ASUS A7V333 has different specs it is almost a given the ASUS A7V8X-X has the same. If that is the case I will have some remodeling to do as the holes are much tighter... Will check it out later tonight when I get a chance.
Unread 11-06-2003, 04:17 PM   #45
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
That is pretty damn cool! It is millable but not sure I can do it.

Yeah it souldn't matter. I am not sure which is to specs but I know mine works. The holes line up perfectly with the HS holes. Also note this is slightly different than the first block in the zip file. I had 2.38" diagnaly on it and this one is 2.33". I am concerned about the ASUS and ABIT board i got at home which these blocks are being built for. If this ASUS A7V333 has different specs it is almost a given the ASUS A7V8X-X has the same. If that is the case I will have some remodeling to do as the holes are much tighter... Will check it out later tonight when I get a chance.
This is, maybe, going to sound silly...but are you able to swap those two MoBos for two identical ones?
Unread 11-06-2003, 04:32 PM   #46
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
This is, maybe, going to sound silly...but are you able to swap those two MoBos for two identical ones?
Not sure I understand what you mean?
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:20 PM   #47
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Not sure I understand what you mean?
What I mean is...sell that ASUS and get another ABIT....or get two nForce2 boards...preferably ABIT....
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:50 PM   #48
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
What I mean is...sell that ASUS and get another ABIT....or get two nForce2 boards...preferably ABIT....
I see. No I am sticking with what I got. I looked at pictures off newegg.com of both the boards and it looks as iff the Abit should be ok, but the Asus looks wrong. Just have to make a modified version for it.
Unread 11-06-2003, 05:52 PM   #49
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Reading this thread is VERY interesting and informative. While I relize this may not be of great imprtance to JD as his set up will not be in a case I'd still like to add one thought.

Most GFX blocks have the barbs going in the side of the block to avoid taking up space(flow here does not impact the base, so cooling could be slightly better), or the second option I've seen used is to use 90 degree barbs intering the top and directing the flow aginst the base (flow gets hurt).

Tex707 your aid here would be very valuable as I've no real skill at depicting designs like you have.

JD's 16 pin base has got lots going for it, but cut one side of the blocks top at an angle (35-45 degree?) and install the barbs in that sloped face. My reasoning is this:

1) Flow now is directed at the blocks base giving better heat removal.

2) Barbs now clear any heat sinks you'd care to use on RAM chips. Yet they do not take up a prohibative amount of space, no more than those 90 degree type barbs, and I'd guess a bit less.

One other thought JD, why not use copper tube for the inlet/outlets as in some of your other designs for the superior flow they offer?
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2003, 05:30 AM   #50
tex707
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackeagle

<snip>

Tex707 your aid here would be very valuable as I've no real skill at depicting designs like you have.

JD's 16 pin base has got lots going for it, but cut one side of the blocks top at an angle (35-45 degree?) and install the barbs in that sloped face.

<snip>

I will do all that's within limits of my skill and time. BTW, this is not just depicting, but full CAD.

I'm not quite sure if I understood you well enough...so here are some screenshots of the Plexi top with a threaded hole for one barb at an angle that ensures the water flow to be directed right at the center of the bottom of W/B's pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plexicover.jpg (65.2 KB, 208 views)