Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 06-25-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
pavlov
Cooling Neophyte

Default New at this - need advice

My OCed Barton 2500 is running dangerously hot with low noise air cooling so after a crash course on liquid cooling I've decided to order the following items:
- WhiteWater Waterblock for Socket A
- D-Tek FSB Northbridge cooler
- AquaeXtreme 50Z DC12 pump
- Bay - Rez (placed in top bay)
- 1 Black Ice Micro 80mm PC radiator (push - pull setup) Will this be sufficient? I have no room for a 120mm fan/rad without modding the case (Antec SX1030)
Any comments/advice/suggestions?
Can you please specify what additional hardware(hoses, fittings, clamps, etc.) I would need to complete a typical 1/2'' setup on an Asus A7N8X Rev 2.0
Also - Do you know of a good online installation guide ?
pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #2
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

You are getting a high-performance CPU WB, a Chipset WB, a Great pump, and in the end you ruin all with that rad :O.

IMO, If you can, Mod the case.
If you cant, no need for that pump. AND you will need to use a noisy fan to keep things cool.
Unread 06-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
pavlov
Cooling Neophyte

Do you mean that there are no worthwile 80mm solutions out there? That I might as well stick to the inadequate/silent or adequate/noisy air cooling?
pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Titan151
Cooling Savant

You may want to consider doing some research for a good radiator for your needs. If you have no room or are limited by space perhaps you could mount your radiator outside of the case. Many people have come up with some interesting ways of mounting a radiator on the top of the case then putting two 120 mm fans on top. One thing you may want to try is to hold off on the Northbridge cooling until you see how your setup handles the heat from the Barton. After that you can add blocks one at a time. My initial use of a small radiator with a good shroud was not so impressive. I quickly stepped up to a larger black ice 2 which has room for 2 120 mm fans. (They sell these on eBay for something like $40). There are also a large number of people who are quite pleased with radiators purchased from auto parts stores.

All of the components you have chosen seem to be pretty good. There are a number of well done studies around this forum that will point you to some of the data on how they perform. Try doing a search for each item and see what you find. Oh and welcome to the forums!

As for install guides, there are a ton of them available on the web. I tend to like reading through the various worklogs pasted at this and other sites.
2 Gigs Corsair 3200
7800 GTX

Last edited by Titan151; 06-25-2004 at 01:55 PM.
Titan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
satanicoo
Cooling Savant

pavlov, the problem is with a 80mm radiator you have litle dissipation area.
Check thermaltake aquarius II, it has a 80mm radiator with a quiet fan.
It does cool, just not very well.
But if you dont want to overclock, it is a solution.
But then again i would put a lower wattage pump.
Unread 06-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
firtol88
Cooling Savant

You could always try a dual 80mm radiator in the rear and a Single 80mm up front.
Ask around there are plenty of people running a similar setup.

Or if you want to mod it, a 120, or 6x6 will fit up front with the bottom drive cage and mount removed.
I have seen the Swiftech dual 120 mounted on the motherboard mounting side of the case behind the drive cages or at the top starting above a 5.25 bay, personally I'm a bit interested in that rad but can't claim to know how they perform.

Last edited by firtol88; 06-26-2004 at 12:26 PM.
firtol88 is offline   Reply With Quote