Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-09-2004, 03:38 PM   #251
slavik
Cooling Neophyte

Same with NYC tap water

Only think they add is the chemical which makes it easier for calcium to get into body cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Something similar to that. It's just a basic sits-on-the-bench water-filter that uses a 10 micron carbon filter. For the price and the amount of water needed, it would be perfectly acceptable to just buy a couple of litres of bottled drinking water. I'm somewhat fortunate to live in Melbourne, Australia which mostly has the cleanest and softest drinking water found in the country. Only a total paranoid would ever feel that drinking Melbourne tap water was bad for them. Chemically it's purer than many bottled drinking waters. We just filter it to get rid of any localised particle matter.
slavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2004, 11:07 PM   #252
j813
Cooling Savant

Quote:
My inline-filter is a "barrel and basket" micro-irrigation filter which I picked up for US$3 from a local hardware store. It's the one on the right in the below picture:
I can't find those here in my country.
Could you share what Brand & Model is that if there's any info please.

Here even using bottled h2o has slime said by a friend.
j813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 07:54 AM   #253
Chewbacca
Cooling Neophyte

[quote=j813]I can't find those here in my country.
Could you share what Brand & Model is that if there's any info please.

You should be able to find it in the sprinkler section of you local hardware store.

IIRC some members on OCAU pointed out that filter after he bought the one of the left, and he had never noticed it despite walking down that isle a number of times.

So it may be a little hard to find, but any hardware store/sprinkler shop will have it. They are fairly big.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #254
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

I brought a similar one today... it was 10.99NZD, a bit dearer, but a similar filter i think. It was in the garden irrigation section of my local hardware store.

Apologies for the thread hijack Cathar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter.jpg (53.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg filterinside.jpg (42.0 KB, 23 views)
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2004, 08:56 PM   #255
j813
Cooling Savant

K guys thanks!

It's just that I'm living in a third world environment not too many have the luxury of having a garden.
What we mostly have here are (h2o for drink) filters or water filtration in gen & these things has so much restrictions especially the price.

Will scout for it though & if there's not any, maybe I can buy there online. Am kinda near you Mates. BTW I'm using an Evap Tower, yeah I know me better scrap the idea whenever using a jetted block(s). I'm in process of having a special made Rad or Core.
j813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #256
timtalizing
Cooling Neophyte

Cathar how is the block coming? Have you started talking to resellers yet?
timtalizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2004, 07:45 PM   #257
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtalizing
Cathar how is the block coming? Have you started talking to resellers yet?
No. Still waiting on the tweaked block so I can make my final decision. I am now very confident in my own results of the G4 vs the Cascade SS, after relapping both blocks after they came back from review. Both the G4 and the SS had degraded from numerous remounts, with the SS and its soft silver being particularly affected. Upon close inspection I could almost make out a few core imprints left by myself and Phaestus in the soft silver. A careful relapping with 2000-grit paper cleaned it up and it picked up performance (a small amount). The block would have been through, perhaps 30 mountings since the last time it was lapped.

The Storm/G4, with its harder copper, wasn't as bad, but it had been through perhaps 40-50 remounts by the time I decided to lap it again.

Arctic Ceramique has been good to use as a thermal paste - with noticably less (if even noticable at all) curing variance, and so I've been able to build up a stronger level of confidence in my results. With my old thermal paste I was seeing 1-2C drops after a few thermal cycles which made it hard to guage what was going on, whereas with the Ceramique what I see on the first mount doesn't change in any detectable way even after 3-4 thermal cycles. The Ceramique starts out better than the Silver 5, but the Silver 5 over time cures to be ~0.5C better than it.

So I'm very confident that given the same pumping characteristics (i.e. any given fixed pump from an Eheim 1046 up to an Iwaki MD40-RZ) that the Storm/G4 is a stronger performer than even the re-lapped SS.

Once I get the tweaked version back, hopefully this week, I can put the two Storm blocks head-to-head, gather a clean-water base-line, add glycol (although I don't believe now that this is a significant issue), and make a choice, and then start down the road to ramping up.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2004, 12:46 PM   #258
timtalizing
Cooling Neophyte

Are you still haveing problems with the storm getting clogged?
timtalizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2004, 06:07 PM   #259
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtalizing
Are you still haveing problems with the storm getting clogged?
I never had a problem with it getting clogged. Read back in this thread for context on that issue.
Unread 08-05-2004, 02:53 AM   #260
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

*bump*
Had any time to do some testing Cathar?
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:35 PM   #261
Cathar
Thermophile

Default Piccy of final block

Well here's what the final block will look like in basic Socket 462 (Socket A) format. There will be an aluminium universal adaptor plate that fits over the top for Sockets 423/478/603/604/754/775/939/940. Presently considering getting the plate anodised in black as well. Don't have an adapter plate in hand yet though.

Unread 08-31-2004, 10:40 PM   #262
Groth
Cooling Savant

Silver bases are definitely needed. Got to go all the way with the black/silver thing. Shiny plated adapters?
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:44 PM   #263
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Chrome/Nickel barbs, SS screws, Silver base, and chromed, stylised chrome adapter plate

mmmmmmm sexy
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:49 PM   #264
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
Chrome/Nickel barbs, SS screws, Silver base, and chromed, stylised chrome adapter plate

mmmmmmm sexy
Actually you're describing the silver/g5 now...
Unread 08-31-2004, 10:55 PM   #265
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Yeah, its what im expecting it to look like
Unread 09-01-2004, 12:33 AM   #266
BarryG
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I apologize if this has already been explained earlier in the thread, but what does it take to get on the waiting list for one of these? I imagine that it is quite long already!

Thanks!!!
-Barry
BarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 01:30 AM   #267
saperboy
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG
I apologize if this has already been explained earlier in the thread, but what does it take to get on the waiting list for one of these? I imagine that it is quite long already!

Thanks!!!
-Barry
I think you don't have to do anything to wait... I too, am waiting.
Cathar said pre-order is not open just yet. We'll just have to wait.
saperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #268
leejsmith
Cooling Savant

at overclockers.com.au he said end of september and there would be enough for every one for the g4/copper
Unread 09-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #269
threeputt
Cooling Neophyte

Quit teasing us please....
Unread 09-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #270
Cathar
Thermophile

I posted this over at OCAU. Figured some of you guys might be interested:

Quote:
Okay, I've decided to relent and post some piccies I snapped today of part of the block in action, being the jet acceleration stage of the block. I spent a lot of time tweaking and refining the block to get this level of pressure -> velocity transition taking place.

In general the jets are converting most centrifugal pumps' pressure into velocity to a point that is between 80-90% of the peak possible jet velocity achievable with that pump. Increasing restriction/velocity beyond the point I selected saw overall flow rates start to drop away very rapidly with very minimal gains in water velocity. As flow-rates drop, so does the thermal capacity of the water per unit time. Much juggling with calculated and predicted heat transfer co-efficients, pressure drops, pump PQ curves, and pressure-drop considerations of other components in a water-cooling loop, saw me settle on a point that I believe is as close to a one-size-fits-all balance point as is possible.

The jet intakes were carefully tweaked in a cost/machining effective fashion to provide a highly efficient level of pressure drop into the acceleration jets. In terms of flow rates with a given pump, and taking into account the rest of the block's resistance, it was calculated that perfect jet intakes would be unlikely to boost flow rates by more than a further 2-3%, so overall I was pretty happy with the compromise.

Okay, enough of the babble, here's the piccies:

For a frame of reference, the block is being held at a measured 1.5m above the ground, and where the water is hitting the ground is a measured 5.5-6.0m away. The pump being used was the Iwaki MD-30RZ (50Hz power).
No Flash:

With Flash:

Gratuitous fountain shot. Fountain reaches around 3m into the air.

Unread 09-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #271
killernoodle
Thermophile

Good lord! That is one helluva pump! Nice, Its hard to imagine that in a computer. Nice jets!
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:14 PM   #272
Blackeagle
Thermophile

HEHE,

No wonder you can get AMD mobiles to 2850mhz. !

Looking forward to seeing it done and a full comparison vs Cascade or others. I hope you'll also send pH a production version Cathar.

Great work man!
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #273
saperboy
Cooling Neophyte

It certainly is awesome.

Maybe I can use this in my Mom's garden too
saperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:17 PM   #274
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
No wonder you can get AMD mobiles to 2850mhz. !
2850? I guess I didn't post anything here about it. Time to correct:

Room temperature water-cooling. Not benchmark stable though.
Unread 09-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #275
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
Good lord! That is one helluva pump! Nice, Its hard to imagine that in a computer. Nice jets!
Pump is strong no doubt. Calculated jet nozzle velocity there is up around 10.0-10.5m/s based on the flow rate being seen in that test. Peak possible velocity with the MD-30RZ is around the 12.5m/s mark, but only through restricting volumetric flow rates to a mere trickle (~1LPM) with the restriction required to achieve that.

Still, even with an Eheim 1250 in a full assembled 1/2" system the Storm block's jet velocity is around the 5m/s mark, while with the Iwaki MD-30RZ on a Cascade the jet velocities were around the 6m/s mark.

It's not really possible for me to eke out significantly more velocity without choking flow rates to a near stand-still.

Last edited by Cathar; 09-04-2004 at 10:45 PM.