Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-23-2001, 12:06 PM   #1
YardPig
Cooling Neophyte

Default Cooling Tower

What are your thoughts on cooling towers. I am presently considering building one for a H20 system I'm putting together.
I have only been able to research one article on the advantages over a radiator.
I love Pro's, but where's the con??
YardPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2001, 02:13 PM   #2
LiquidCool
Cooling Savant

The only con so far is you have to watch your water levels. I have heard of some people losing up to a quart an hour to evaporation... That and you cant use any antifreeze because of the evaporation...
LiquidCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2001, 03:06 PM   #3
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Yeh it will raise humidity levels, increase corrosion in your cooling system as you cant use any anti-corrosions additives, Humidity increase's can lead to mold growth around where the tower is located also.

and constant monitoring either by automated means or by hand of water levels is critical cause if you do let the coolant evap out .. you got one hot core..

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2001, 03:10 PM   #4
YardPig
Cooling Neophyte

So if the X came by, then antifreeze is recommended??
The article I saw the guy used a screen on the outlet (above the shower head) and a screen around the fan on the intake. This cut his coolant loss immensely. I guess with a high powered fan, it ends up blowing all the coolant out. I think I will stick with a 80mm chassis fan.
IYHO what temps should I consider "good" for a H20 setup no peltier?
I'm sitting at a warm 25C ambient.
My system generic air cooled see's 25MB 39CPU at an idle, 27MB 50CPU full load.
A7V133 Duron 800 @ 1072

I guess it all depends on the setup, but I need some motivation here.......

Thanks
YardPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2001, 05:35 AM   #5
LKraven
Cooling Neophyte

A big con as far as I'm concerned is having a big fricken bong constantly dripping water next to my computer, but I'm odd that way.

Evaporative cooling works though.

Neil
LKraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2001, 10:35 PM   #6
imagex
Cooling Savant

I just made a large prototype that realy works good.I have found a answer to the cons!!! I run my ac all the time so this will work for me ,my closet is right on the other side of my ac unit i am going to duct the air into the inlet side,this will pull the water out of the air,then you know that line that goes outside comeing from you ac unit that drips water ,well it's going to be driping back into my evap system to keep it full. this thing with no load runs 10F bellow room temp! one thing no lan partys unless there at your house!
Unread 05-25-2001, 01:06 AM   #7
LKraven
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
I just made a large prototype that realy works good.I have found a answer to the cons!!! I run my ac all the time so this will work for me ,my closet is right on the other side of my ac unit i am going to duct the air into the inlet side,this will pull the water out of the air,then you know that line that goes outside comeing from you ac unit that drips water ,well it's going to be driping back into my evap system to keep it full. this thing with no load runs 10F bellow room temp! one thing no lan partys unless there at your house!
Keep an eye on the water level anyway. The odds of the evaporation being equal to the rate of replenishment is slim at best. Worse case scenario, it evaps faster than it replenishes and your core is turned into ash. Better, but still bad, is if the replenish rate is too fast, and you have a little flood.

Neil
LKraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2001, 07:07 PM   #8
imagex
Cooling Savant

i'm going to have to try it to find out,but i think that the run off from my ac unit will be more than what evaps from my system do to the fact that it is pulling humidity from the air in my house also. if it is more i will use a very small tube at the water level i want and since the system has +psi it will push the extra water out.then just run the tube out side. I don't give up
Unread 06-19-2001, 11:06 AM   #9
nportelli
Cooling Neophyte

Is there articles about this? I'm curious. Just to let you know I have a fish tank(I'm guessing a much larger surface area) and I evaporate over 1 gallon a day. I have a float switch to keep adding water.
nportelli is offline   Reply With Quote