Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-18-2001, 02:58 PM   #1
YardPig
Cooling Neophyte

Default Closed loop setup losing water

Is it normal for my closed loop setup to lose a small amount of water every week or so? The fill/bleed tube has gone down an inch in the last week and there are no leaks. I do have a bolt in the line and the line is 1/2"ID hose.
Is this just normal evaporation?

Take care
YardPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2001, 08:51 PM   #2
Eldraad
Cooling Neophyte

I wouldn't think it was normal for a closed system. I have been on mine for 1 month and swapped waterblocks for testing today. I had no loss of water in my system. By the way, is yours an inline system or with a tank. Could there be any way that the watervapor is getting past the bolt via the threading or is it tight under pressure?
Unread 06-18-2001, 09:33 PM   #3
YardPig
Cooling Neophyte

Mine is an inline setup. Yeah, the bolt is not a real tight fit with the tube. You figure the vapor could be going right past?
Hmmmm, very interesting.
Unread 06-19-2001, 01:52 PM   #4
Eldraad
Cooling Neophyte

Well, not knowing if there is a small leak elsewhere (1 drop every few hours?)that is the best guess for me. Try a plastic hose barb that fits tight and "cap" it with a rubber cap like they use on car air lines. The ones I use are Vacuum Caps from the local auto store. The hose barb is for splicing two hose ends together. That was how I was bleeding the air from the tube on an old system. Good luck and see if you still loose water...hope not!
Unread 06-19-2001, 01:58 PM   #5
Eldraad
Cooling Neophyte

By the way, I could never see what was wrong with a small tank for the water. It gave a place for the air to go and made it real easy to fill the lines with water/water wetter etc...

My heatercore system (still testing outside the box for best flow etc...) is using a real small tank...a model airplane/car fuel tank. $2 for it at a hobby store clearing old stock and using it changed the air bleed in the inline system from 20 mins to about 2 mins. I will always be fond of the Tank idea I guess...
Unread 06-19-2001, 03:03 PM   #6
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

I had that issue to... and I found out there was a very small leak on the pump. All I found was Water wetter residue all over the bottom of the pump as a clear trace that it has leaked off and on a bit.

Closed systems that are sealed should never loose coolant, there may be air bubbles from from air in the water being worked out in the first day or so. But water should never dissapear. Fist place you should look is at yer pump, second is in yer PC to make sure the block/fittings on the block arent leaking.

If in doubt put in some of the Tracerline Dyelite ( stuff I used in DH3) the REAL stuff, not the knock off dye thats around. ( Check the DH3 article there is a pic of the lil brown bottle of the real deal.. they also sell kits with a UV Flashlight) The tracerline UV Dye is made to leave a residue if it leaks so you can go around with the UV light and see where the leaks may be taking place, or have leaked in the past, all it would take is like a drop or 2 for the entire cooling system. prolly onle 1 drop.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2001, 03:37 PM   #7
YardPig
Cooling Neophyte

So even if the fill/bleed line was left open, the system would retain the same amount of water??
If thats the case, maybe the water is evaporating around the plug (fits like a dink in a shirt sleeve)

Take care
Unread 06-19-2001, 04:09 PM   #8
Joe

No .. in a SEALED system it wont loose water. any opening... ANY will alow water vapor to escape.

Unread 06-20-2001, 08:58 AM   #9
gmat
Thermophile

In his case i think he collected some bubbles. 3 days after priming my system a few bubbles were still coming out when i put the system upside down and so forth.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2001, 10:06 AM   #10
Joe

yeh, in the coolant air is suspended when you fill the sytem. That normaly comes out and collects in a few days as the coolant is heated/cooled.

The pump can also hide a good deal of air as well as the water block.

And lastly if you have any Oxidation going on or Bio's living in your coolant that all can also generate gas pockets in the system. But it wont lower the amount of coolant you have much at all, especially to the point that you would need to re-fill the system.