Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Random Nonsense / Geek Stuff All those random tech ramblings you can't fit anywhere else!

Closed Thread
Unread 01-28-2002, 01:00 PM   #1
AllTalkSebrasky
Cooling Neophyte

Default Building computers

Im an 18 yr old college student whos interested in building computers... as a career. im wondering if any one can give me some pointers as to where to start out. help would be apriciated. i have a little experience but not much.
Unread 01-28-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Brad
Thermophile

just build one for yourself, then some for your uncles, friends, whatever.

then try to find a place for employment

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 01-29-2002, 11:56 AM   #3
resago
Cooling Savant

see if there is a local computer store or repair shop that would let you work for cheap or for parts.
Also, when you head off to college, most colleges have a student computer help desk that the profs call for help. you can learn a lot from doing that.

still running 2000!!!!

Help with Coding
www.resago.com
Unread 01-29-2002, 02:06 PM   #4
AllTalkSebrasky
Cooling Neophyte

thanks guys! much apriciated
Unread 01-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #5
Lonely Raven
Cooling Neophyte

Just a heads up though from someone in the field of computer
repair....

There is very little money in "building" computers. a "Break/Fix"
tech averages about $12-14 an hour. Which might sound
pretty decent to some people now...but when your doing
it 10 years later and still making $12-14 an hour, it don't look
so good.

I hate to say this, but it's a great way to get your feet wet, and
get some great experience...but Try CompUSA. It's a hard
environment, lots of stress, lots of wierd issues come through
the door, and you have to deal with customers. Sounds pretty
crappy right? Good, cause it is...and that's the way break/fix is.

If you want to go where the money is....you NEED to learn
networking. Get your MS Certs and Cisco Certs and just as
importantly, get a college degree! I know people who have a
college degree in English, and they make more as techs then
people without any degree, simply because they finished college.
I'm sure being a computer science major helps...but it's the paper
that all too many companies look at.

For help getting a job in the future, make sure you keep a list
of references. Even if it's a friend of the family that you build a
kick ass PC for. Everything helps.

One thing that I did, that not only helps for references, but is
also good for the community.....I called up local grade schools,
perocial schools, and some high schools and offered them a
resume with my PC experience and certs listed with a note saying
"I fix as much as I can in on day for a flat rate fee of $150 for the
day- XXX hours of work". I was laid off earlier last year and doing
that saved me from losing my apartment and having my
electricity shut off. You have to figure, when a place like CompUSA
or CDW or even the big boys like Compaq or IBM offer a tech to
a school, they say something like $49 an hour for 8 hours. So
$150 flat rate looks pretty damn good to a school with a tight
budget.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I just thought I'd share some tips from my 6+
years of experience. Right now, I make more then my dad, I drive
a SAAB Tubro, and I race D Class Porsches as a hobby. So I think
I'm doing OK.

Jack of All Trades,
Master of None

IT Samurai
Unread 02-03-2002, 05:54 PM   #6
Pyrotechnic
Cooling Savant

ya, techs dont make much, but onsite work does pay.....
Unread 02-15-2002, 08:36 PM   #7
Jim
Cooling Savant

Lonely Raven was right when he suggested you get the College Degree. It seems to always make a difference no matter what you do.

Jim
Unread 03-06-2002, 01:19 PM   #8
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

I've built 6 computers so far, and they all work great. I only do pentiums, though (amds are knockoffs, cheap, and the p4 commercials are better!!).

I would suggest taking a few certification cources (I didn't, and started a fire!), and getting all the know how.

Then get a job at a small computer store, that coustom builds computers for coustomers. You'll learn FAST!!

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Unread 03-06-2002, 01:47 PM   #9
Brad
Thermophile

heh, you can do pentiums all you want, I build mainly Celeratins, P3's and Athlons here, noone in NZ is stupid enough to buy a P4 (says something about you americans). AMD cpu's do produce a lot more heat, and the cooler will typically be louder, so I only recommend them for high performance stuff, and keep the Celeratins/P3's for normal suff

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:11 PM   #10
cristoff
Cooling Savant

dude us americans arent that stupid.... I have an athlon... but only if they coupled it with rdram... think of the possibilities... argghhh....
Unread 03-06-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
Brad
Thermophile

yes, bandwidth which the cpu can't use, couple with high latencies. Lets turn our Athlons into K6's

Unread 03-06-2002, 03:12 PM   #12
cristoff
Cooling Savant

lol.. if they did take the route of rdram systems... i with pc800 or even the newer ram that is coming out... it would topple p4 systems even more perhaps even macs... think about it..
Unread 03-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #13
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

Default I'm insulted

P4s rock the free world, literaly!! I built a P4 system for a friend, and it is so fast, windows (yes, I do dare to utter that evil word) loaded in 15 minutes! FAST!!

I don't own a P4 (yet). But I have a P2 and 2 P3 computers (350, 600, and 700 MHz respectivly. W/O overclock!).

I heard from a reliable source that Intel is now using 266 ram, instead of PC-800!! Too bad, the pc-800 is WAY FASTER!!

Signing out..

Affordable webhosting!
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:16 PM   #14
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Quote:
Originally posted by Yo-DUH_87
I've built 6 computers so far, and they all work great. I only do pentiums, though (amds are knockoffs, cheap, and the p4 commercials are better!!).

I would suggest taking a few certification cources (I didn't, and started a fire!), and getting all the know how.

Then get a job at a small computer store, that coustom builds computers for coustomers. You'll learn FAST!!
wow there is so much wrong with that post I wont even start.....

ok maybe I will

1. Learn from doing, not from a text book... theres nothing more sad than seeing someone quote a text book while building a machine... sorta likea 50 Yearold mid life crisis hipster.. just sad.

2. if you can start a fire or blow shit up on your first build, maybe computer construction isn't what you are meant to be in... take a hint god is trying to tell you something

3. Only P4's... you must have some rich SOB clients... whole lotta money, little speed. But its the peice of mind knowing they just spend a ton of money on a rather small machine... cause price always means its better.

Beware, if you are burning PC's stay away from networking please... we dont want you to strangle yourself by accident.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:18 PM   #15
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default Re: I'm insulted

Quote:
I heard from a reliable source that Intel is now using 266 ram, instead of PC-800!! Too bad, the pc-800 is WAY FASTER!!

Signing out..

<sarcasam> ROFL... Rambus RULEZ j000! < /sarcasam>

aahahaha yeh right, I got a Pinto somewhere that rulez also

DDR is by far a better Standard, not that proprietary BULL SHIT that Rambus is ripping people with.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Unread 03-06-2002, 09:28 PM   #16
OcPunK
Cooling Savant

Quote:

Since your so smart I would like to recommend a cert for you its called SYITH aka Shoot Yourself In The Head. I would highly recommend it to smart people like you, it will make the world a better place for all to live.
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:12 PM   #17
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by OcPunK

Since your so smart I would like to recommend a cert for you its called SYITH aka Shoot Yourself In The Head. I would highly recommend it to smart people like you, it will make the world a better place for all to live.
Tried that kind of therapy, but I'm such a poor shot, that I missed.

I am not extremly smart, building a computer is as simple as inserting adapter a into slot b, multiple times. If you are a member of these fourms, you should be a computer nut!!

As for you, Joe, all my computers work fine. And I do network all 4 of my computers, just fine (my dad actually started the electrical fire inside the floppy drive, the power connectors are supposed to be fool proof, but, brute force counteracts all those "safty" efforts!).

I could quip about the "advatages" to putting watter into your computer, and using AMD procesors. But I will abstain, for now!

Signing out

Affordable webhosting!
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:22 PM   #18
Brad
Thermophile

Quote:
lol.. if they did take the route of rdram systems... i with pc800 or even the newer ram that is coming out... it would topple p4 systems even more perhaps even macs... think about it..

as i said before, the athlon can't handle the bandwidth of rambust, and the increased latencies of rambust would slow the athlon down. I'd say kt133a would be faster than a rambust chipset

Quote:
Yeah, that reliable source is everywhere for the last 3 months. Actually, the bandwidth of 2100mb/sec vs 3200mb/sec isn't as much as the names of pc266 and pc800 would let you imagine. Generally the sis645 with pc333 is faster than 850 with rambust, and all the other pc266 chipsets are 5% slower to the same speed as the 850 with rambust. And because rambust doesn't like very high speeds, you'll probably get much better performance when overclocking with ddr anyway

Unread 03-07-2002, 10:28 AM   #19
mx-6*
Cooling Savant

Default Re: I'm insulted

Quote:
P4s rock the free world, literaly!! I built a P4 system for a friend, and it is so fast, windows (yes, I do dare to utter that evil word) loaded in 15 minutes! FAST!!

I don't own a P4 (yet). But I have a P2 and 2 P3 computers (350, 600, and 700 MHz respectivly. W/O overclock!).

This guy has to be either joking or an idiot.

There is no third option.
Unread 03-07-2002, 11:30 AM   #20
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Damn I hope you're not serious. Yeah AMDs are knock offs of the P4 made by the hands of illeagle slave child labor in 3rd world countries. We all know the P4 is the best, made by the hard working hands of American Unionized Labor....Uh huh

Quote:

Damn man, it's a Wintel world out there and they've got you to believe it!!!!
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
Unread 03-07-2002, 12:48 PM   #21
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

You have to admit, Intel and Windows are the devices that all things run on! Just the other day I was looking at a game that said a 300 P2, or a 450 AMD!! Does this telll you something? And I don't see you sporting the penguin in the tux!! I do have a linux workstation, but it is currently unoperational (Old acer 100 MHz, pentum!).

I have been on computers since I was 3, using prodigy (evil!). Eventually, I wanted a computer of my own. So, I took my megar savings, and got a P2 350, that I assembeled myself. I had no experience, had read no books, no websites, hadn't even known someone that had done it!! It still works great, but it is a little slow for todays games

I now build and repair computers for friends and family, free (unless I am hungry). It is a nice skill, and I am branching into other computer-related hobbies, like Webpage building, programing, etc.

I still think a cert cource would be a good idea, it might keep you from messing your $2000 Pentium 4 system up! But, as I have proven, you can learn from experince (although, while you are learning, stay far away from my computer ).

Signing out...

Affordable webhosting!
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #22
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Quote:
You have to admit, Intel and Windows are the devices that all things run on! Just the other day I was looking at a game that said a 300 P2, or a 450 AMD!! Does this telll you something? And I don't see you sporting the penguin in the tux!! I do have a linux workstation, but it is currently unoperational (Old acer 100 MHz, pentum!).
Um not trying to be rude or anything but seriously have you been living in a cave for the past 2 years or so? It's called the K7 and since it was released nothing Intel has come up with since it was released can hold a candle to it. Northwoods are starting to approach the level of the k7 but it costs 3x as much and still is slower. Man Intel and Microsoft have got you washed like a black board, there is more to computing that Windows and Pentiums dude, open your eyes.

Quote:
I have been on computers since I was 3, using prodigy (evil!). Eventually, I wanted a computer of my own. So, I took my megar savings, and got a P2 350, that I assembeled myself. I had no experience, had read no books, no websites, hadn't even known someone that had done it!! It still works great, but it is a little slow for todays games
Damn man, I think it's about time to upgrade!! How can you possibly have any experience with GHz+ computing if you are on a P2 350??? You have been using computers since you were 3? Well thats not exactly all that uncommon these days, but I assume that was about 1990 or so...put it this way when I was 3 things were a lot different.

Quote:
I now build and repair computers for friends and family, free (unless I am hungry). It is a nice skill, and I am branching into other computer-related hobbies, like Webpage building, programing, etc.

I still think a cert cource would be a good idea, it might keep you from messing your $2000 Pentium 4 system up! But, as I have proven, you can learn from experince (although, while you are learning, stay far away from my computer ).

Signing out...
Cert courses are pretty much a formality these days anyway, and anyone who thinks they will get a job with nothing but certifications and no experience is in for one rude shock. I have seen many an A+ certified tech totally stuff something up that most anyone who has built a system before totally would have known. I hope you deciede to do a little reading and research before you make such broad and generalizing statements in the future, they are grossly counter productive.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:14 PM   #23
Butcher
Thermophile

Quote:
You have to admit, Intel and Windows are the devices that all things run on! Just the other day I was looking at a game that said a 300 P2, or a 450 AMD!! Does this telll you something?
Yes it tells me that a couple of years ago intels were better. Big deal we all knew that a couple of years ago. It says NOTHING about P4 vs Athlons.
If you really want to know why P4s suck btw I can quote you a lot of stuff, but doubtless you wouldn't understand it, if you really want to know read (and understand) AMD techdoc 22007 and Intel techdoc 24896601. These explain the workings of the two cpus (note these total maybe 600 pages of information).
For the nutshell summary; P4s may have higher clocks, but they do one hell of a lot less per clock than an AMD.
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:39 PM   #24
sunblade

Quote:
Originally posted by cristoff
dude us americans arent that stupid.... I have an athlon... but only if they coupled it with rdram... think of the possibilities... argghhh....
Bleh, PC800 rambus has a bandwidth of 1600MB/s, so it's no better than PC1600 DDR (but it also has those latency issues). PC1066 RDRAM will have a transfer rate of 2100MB/s. The P4 likes RDRAM right now because it's used in dual-channel on the mobo, so it reaches 3200MB/s, and the DDR P4 mobos only use the RAM in single-channel.
Unread 03-07-2002, 04:52 PM   #25
Techguy
Cooling Savant

Quote:

Signing out...
Window is the major OS... yes
Intel may be the major CPU, but AMD is gaining rapidly in market share.

IF the P4 is SO much better:
please explain this:

(1st example I saw, I'm to lazy 2 find a good one)
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q...s/image013.gif

1866MHZ athlon XP beats the shit out of a P4 at 2600 MHz.
There are TONS of benchmarks that illustrate this point.
AMD is cheaper in cost. AMD kicks Intel's ass even at lower MHz. AMD's IPC is 9. Intel's is 6.
Closed Thread