Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #51
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

Am I the only one that actully thinks the current hold downs actually look good but just need a color change?
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #52
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

the in-house philosophy is that "MC_" is a recognized branding
comments ?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #53
scopEDog
Cooling Neophyte

Quickly came up with a hold down: Image

Center circle could be clear blue plexi with the word "swiftech" etched into it..and a LED to light the circle. Just kicking around ideas..

I remember acura when they started switching their named cars into letters/numbers (ie. integra to RSX, legend to RL). If memory serves me it was because they felt the american buyer would remember RSX better. Not sure if thats true or not but food for thought.
scopEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 04:19 PM   #54
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered
the in-house philosophy is that "MC_" is a recognized branding
comments ?
Does it actually stand for anything?

Its pretty hard to remember - I mean, even you've accidentally put MCP6002 before

The longer the name, the more confusing in my opinion - I mean, at the end of the day, names are for the newbies - when you're new to a topic, with all the info floating about its hard to remember a name that long, and thats not the best thing for a product. Many successfully branded items in the past have very short, simple names - ipod (what the hell does that even mean?) is an example, along with imac etc etc.

Finding a nice sounding name without either sounding pretenious or cheesy is the hard part - the whole 3 letter thing that people like to use is overdone, in my opinion (and im sure a road that you dont want to go down).

Even adding 'swiftech' to the front/end of the names wouldn't be a bad idea, and perhaps reducing the waterblock number length; but making it a more permanent thing - I understand taking the branding off the front might be a bad thing, but enforcing the use of the brand name could be better.

ie

Swiftech 62s-64
Swiftech 60s-A
SWB62s-P4 (Swiftech water block)
SW60s-64 (Swiftech waterblock)

ha, just looked at dictionary.com in search of some words that would pertain to it - the 'swiftech aquajuice 6000'. Amazing what random words can come up

Re: laser - yeah, probably wouldn't be cheap - wonder if it would be possible to press out a smaller top layer, and join it to a thicker bottom layer - may as well be etched then though. Although, you could make the two layers pressed, and have the swiftech logo slightly larger in the top layer, and you'd have a nice stroked internal effect on the lettering, which leaves a few options (especially for modders, if you could paint the two parts seperately) for painting - ie, two tone paint for a specific mod is always nice.

I personally like the see-though aspect though, and when people are installing the blocks is when they'll notice it most. Its little touches like that which make the buyer think that the designer has taken every step to make the product an enjoyable experience-

Tripe time (yes, Industrial designer by trade) -

Every product is an experience, treat it as such when you're designing it. Pick it up, out of the box, and treat it like its the first time you've seen one - what strikes you instantly?
Probably the non-bling copper, so something would have to be done about that first. Do they come with the plate preinstalled? If not, I'd do that personally... but make it a requirement that the plate has to come off somehow (perhaps plastic wrap the block so the paint doesnt get damaged, if you decide to paint the blocks).

Perhaps the mounting kit and instructional details need a bit of bling factor? Make a small stainless/alu bracket that holds the mounting kits together, much like a model airplane set - you have to 'twist' out the mounting kits (just physically because of the design, not the fact they're attached to the alu), making it seem like they're the first person to touch it.

The packaging and how its arranged can be done very cheaply and make a big impression - a nice segmented flat box will make a better impression than the boxs that you're using now, by the looks of it.

If you make the experience pleasant (ooh look at this pretty chrome, and this seethrough bit!) then people are going to be more likely to recommend it, regardless of whether it cools well or not - unless its a subpar performer, of course, which we know this block isnt. I know this has been said already, but its vitally important to a product at the end of the day.

/end tripe

Guess I missed out on the prize hah

Last edited by Etacovda; 10-15-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #55
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Am I the only one that saw the MCP series of pumps and thought about the "MCP" character from Tron?

In regards to MC as a branding name, I'd have to say it fails. Most of my friends who are casually into WCing (basically, the people not on this forum) typically refer to it as a "swiftech 6000 waterblock" or the "swiftech 600 pump" or "that swiftech 12v pump" back when it was only the 600.

Maybe if the MC was spelled out (I'm sure it means something) on occassion and used to support the brand then it would be worth it, but as it stands I don't think it gains you anything.
Unread 10-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #56
Tempus
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofunk
Am I the only one that actully thinks the current hold downs actually look good but just need a color change?

I've got a 6002 with the blue hold down and I like it just fine as is.

I'm not saying I'm be upset if we had more/other color choices but I'll paint it if I really care.
Unread 10-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #57
Voodoo Rufus
Cooling Neophyte

As far as blocks and bling go, I tend to like black everything (I think the black Storm is very nice). Stainless/chrome barbs are cool too. Mainly function over form (or I might have reconsidered getting a 6002.

I miss the engraved Swiftech logo on the older blocks though like my MCW462B. That looked cool.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #58
psychofunk
Cooling Savant

The mc thing to me is waste. Brand recognition is what is important and swiftech provides that, especially because of swiftech commitment to excellence. The only problem is that until recently I think swiftech has also been known for being expensive. And I am right there with Tempus, because I really like that swifty 6000 block in black with the chrome hold down.
psychofunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #59
Groth
Cooling Savant

The MC thing is okay, but you guys should use it to appeal to a younger crowd. For example, rename the MCP650 to "M C Pumpin' m' Ho".

MCW6002? MC Grand Master Chill!

Instead of fill and bleed, gunna make you bleed.

MCR80 rad? L'il Chil and the 80 Mil Posse.
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #60
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groth
The MC thing is okay, but you guys should use it to appeal to a younger crowd. For example, rename the MCP650 to "M C Pumpin' m' Ho".

MCW6002? MC Grand Master Chill!

Instead of fill and bleed, gunna make you bleed.

MCR80 rad? L'il Chil and the 80 Mil Posse.
Classic.
(10 characters)
Unread 10-15-2004, 07:13 PM   #61
Bigmack
Cooling Neophyte

Logo,,,,,, Atomic Motion Transfer System AMTS6002
Bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #62
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

too much Groth
Unread 10-15-2004, 08:52 PM   #63
bozo
Cooling Neophyte

back to the topic....
so are all the colours of the blocks so inconsistant?
bozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 09:00 AM   #64
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

no, all now have the matt finish
Unread 10-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #65
snowwie
Cooling Savant

i'm with psychofunk here

I think they look great with the current design...is it really a good idea to sacrifice the barb orientation versatility that is there with the current design?

but of course i've never been the most bling-minded computer consumer.
snowwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #66
bozo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
no, all now have the matt finish
wth? my stock just arrived last week??!
Unread 10-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #67
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

from heaven ?
perhaps a dristributor ?
from Swiftech directly ?

hard to say how stock gets mixed, or where, or when
could have been in QC (probable if it has a shiney bp), or passed through rework for relapping
many possibilities
Unread 10-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #68
Gabriel Rouchon
Cooling Neophyte

[quote=Etacovda]Does it actually stand for anything?

Yes .. It's a reference to E=MC2
My very first cooler was a sandwich design for slot1 Celeron called the MC2.
Good job on the hold-down plate :-)

Gabe
Gabriel Rouchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 02:39 AM   #69
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

[quote=Gabriel Rouchon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etacovda
Does it actually stand for anything?

Yes .. It's a reference to E=MC2
My very first cooler was a sandwich design for slot1 Celeron called the MC2.
Good job on the hold-down plate :-)

Gabe
Thanks Gabe Cheers for the explaination also.
I'm always happy to throw ideas Bills (& Swiftechs) way, because all benefit from his work; ive learnt more at this forum than all the other forums i visit combined.

edit - for those interested, a review on the MC^2
http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/c...ch/index.shtml

Last edited by Etacovda; 10-17-2004 at 02:45 AM.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 05:06 AM   #70
bozo
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
from heaven ?
perhaps a dristributor ?
from Swiftech directly ?

hard to say how stock gets mixed, or where, or when
could have been in QC (probable if it has a shiney bp), or passed through rework for relapping
many possibilities
was from swifty direct.
Unread 10-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #71
thelostrican
Cooling Neophyte

they look fine, the thing i like the most about the new blocks is that they are a "one piece" design. noobs fear leaks, and the love that type of design.
if they could be anonadize black they would look good, with the tie down in chrome. some new type of hose clamps something that would looks nice. nobody else has that, and could probably be added for cheap.

i personally like the blue tie down, it reminds me that i have a swiftech block, which in my mind equals quality. i also like the way the come packed, they have this industrial look that i like, when i am aircooling a computer i want it to look fancy, when i am watercooling i like it to be profesional, and industrial looks profesional.

i would think that if polarflo has been outselling the 6000 and the 6002. is not because of the bling, much less their performance.

it looks to me, my personal opinion

1.swiftech blocks are or have been nowhere to be found. maybe they are made far away? he all i see in websites is people asking where to buy them. swiftech could not get better support from the different forums. and billa is always around to help.something that no other major manufacturer has.

2.swiftechs need some matching gpu and chipsets block to match the 6000 series block. those are easy bling points. people like to match there blocks, at least i do, and so most of my friends, (cathar are you listening. gpu block hint hint.j/k)

3.polarflos are everywhere, they dropship to all their sellers, and do it fast.

4.polarflo have supplied everybody that have a website and can take photos for a review.

5.ordering thru their website is good, they ship stuff fast.

some little rants and observations from my part, excuse my english as i am not a native speaker. spanish is my languague.

thx
jacs

fixed number 4 i meant to say polarflo. and i havent seen any reviews from the 6000 besides oc.com and here :shrug:

Last edited by thelostrican; 10-17-2004 at 11:53 PM.
thelostrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #72
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

4. Isn't true. And in fact I'd guess* Swiftech gives out more review parts than all other water cooling companies combined.

*I'm pulling this outta my ass but it seems reasonable considering their global marketing
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #73
JWFokker
Cooling Savant

I like this one a lot, but I also like the blue theme Swiftech has though. I think it'd screw everything up if there were suddenly a different color scheme. I know it might cost more, but I'd like the current design a lot more if the copper were brought to a mirror finish, kinda like the Aqua Joe blocks or whatever those really plain but highly blinging blocks are.

Square off the edges to facilitate easier blingicization (polishing) and use a cooler looking hold down bracket, simliar to the above pictured. Instead of cutting out the letters simply painting them on like the current design would be fine. The combination of a harder blinging block with a fancier bracket will make the whole thing more of a 'blong'. So hard it warps the bling.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:16 AM   #74
killernoodle
Thermophile

One thing that I would like to see are some 3D mounting brackets of some kind. I see a lot of paintball guns that use some kind of aluminum casting to give them shape before they are finish machined (some of them simply polished on the bare casting job). A 3D flame shape or something like that (perhaps a 3D Swiftech logo?) all polished up with aluminum would look rather pimp. So far, most blocks besides the new Polarflo and some of the silverprops have been flat, square, round, and barren. Perhaps this is the secret to polarflo's bling?

Something resembling these shapes and contours would certainly be blingin, even the color scheme:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goodright.jpg (23.0 KB, 15 views)
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #75
threeputt
Cooling Neophyte

Here's a Swiftech bracket idea for MCW600x. Make it mobo upgradeable without taking off the tube. If you look at the bracket, they all have a hole in the middle for the inlet. If you want to upgrade or swap mobo, you have to take the tube off the inlet at least to take the bracket off and put a new one on. I believe that lots of Swiftech product users are tinkerer (is that even a word?) and will swap mobo/upgrade but not necessarily empty and refill the loop at the same time.

Hmm...looking at the compatiblity list, maybe that's too small of niche market.......