Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 12-11-2002, 09:59 AM   #301
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's a pic of the threaded reducer (1 1/2 to 3/4) along with the 3/4 barb (teflon please!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 1-2 to 3-4 adapter and 3-4 barb.jpg (22.1 KB, 481 views)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 10:01 AM   #302
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

and finally, here's a revised schematic (not to scale) of the seperating res and block:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cube final2.jpg (37.3 KB, 508 views)
Unread 12-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #303
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

One more, of that tee, with the side adapters mounted:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tee 4-way 4.jpg (18.7 KB, 473 views)
Unread 12-11-2002, 10:19 AM   #304
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Oh, and here's the stuff that's going to hold the polycarbonate pieces together (thanks to gone_fishin):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic welder.jpg (28.9 KB, 532 views)
Unread 12-11-2002, 11:46 AM   #305
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

New digicam Ben?
Unread 12-11-2002, 11:55 AM   #306
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

He, no, just the latest batch from my trusty 35mm camera (Minolta Maxxum 7000).

Wall-Mart has something for $50, 640 by 480 (with macro!), with 8mb integrated and USB connection, but my 'puter doesn't have a USB connector, and anyways, it's still running the ole Win 95!

HP also makes a scanner that will scan negs, so I might go that route instead, because I don't care for the low resolution of the digicam. Processing becomes cheaper.

It all depends on price!
Unread 12-11-2002, 02:42 PM   #307
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Great finding that of the polycarbonate fissures! Although that methilene chloride seems to be difficult to buy.

I was always amazed by that crack stories, because my experience was that it was unbreakable.

I’m impressed by the patience you have to read through all kind off stuff, to find information.

About your block: all that setup is going to put a great torque on the mounting system. How’s going that?
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 02:44 PM   #308
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

And beware of that cheap scanners with slide adapters, those are pure crap. :shrug:
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2002, 03:04 PM   #309
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicozeg
Great finding that of the polycarbonate fissures! Although that methilene chloride seems to be difficult to buy.

I was always amazed by that crack stories, because my experience was that it was unbreakable.

I’m impressed by the patience you have to read through all kind off stuff, to find information.

About your block: all that setup is going to put a great torque on the mounting system. How’s going that?
Thanks.

The original block designed called for a flexible tube, but since I got a piece of it, I could see that the torque was still going to be an issue.

I gave Utabintarbo the dimensions of the inside of my case. In short, It'll hang from the crossbar. Hopefully that'll be OK. I might have to use a shim for fitting it all, and figure out a way to get around the pump...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump in case 2.jpg (31.0 KB, 1180 views)
Unread 12-11-2002, 04:00 PM   #310
mfpmax
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k

Wall-Mart has something for $50, 640 by 480 (with macro!), with 8mb integrated and USB connection, but my 'puter doesn't have a USB connector, and anyways, it's still running the ole Win 95!
Stay away...

$50 more will get you a "decent" crappy 1.3MP Digital camera.

But the USB thing will still hold you back.
mfpmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2002, 09:16 AM   #311
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The McMaster order arrived yesterday, minus the inner tube which may ship in a week. The size of the o-ring really puts the size of it all into perspective!

Got confirmation that the US Plastics order shipped yesterday, so I expect it by Friday.

The next order will be for the endmill bit(s) and/or cutting disc(s).
Unread 12-12-2002, 10:45 PM   #312
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Nice to see your project coming along A question on the case/pump pic. You have the discharge facing down and the suction almost reaching the back and near the processor area, will this create the use of a lot of otherwise unnecessary elbows?
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2002, 09:39 AM   #313
MeltMan
Cooling Savant

Judging by the size of that pump, it wont make a whole hell of a lot of difference.
Unread 12-13-2002, 12:03 PM   #314
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

A valid question Gone_fishin.

Since I've opted NOT to put the pump at the bottom of the case (because it may interfere with the PCI slots), I'm left putting it as shown. The tee at the pump inlet is for a ball valve, for draining, but since the pump is no longer the lowest point, the tee will be removed and put somewhere else in the loop.

However...

The pump in that configuration may get in the way of the block and res! So if need be, I'll bolt the pump vertically on the side panel (inside). "Little Giant" specs state that it is OK to run it in any orientation.

Since I've gone to 3/4, I am going to pick up a volute for a Little Giant 3-MDQ-SC (once dimensions are confirmed, thanks to Hellion_Prime), which will give me the 3/4 inlet and outlet that I want on my 2-MDQ-SC. It may also resolve any issues that may come up with the small inlet.

Hopefully, this will not affect pump performance/specs: the 2-MDQX-SC has that volute, but is rated for lower pressure.
Unread 12-16-2002, 11:21 AM   #315
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Latest report:

The US Plastics order hasn't arrived yet, but the invoice made it.

I'm thinking about sending some of that polycarbonate to Fixittt, for a prototype (once I've got the endmill(s) ).

Res assembly is progressing. I'm trimming the window. Polycarbonate is hard! (wishing I had my Dremel with me!). BTW, the "1/4" sample is about 1/32 short of being 1/4 thick, but I expected that. It's 5.5 mm, so if Fixittt makes a prototype, it'll leave 0.5 mm as a baseplate.

A lucky coincidence: the threaded adapters don't give me a tight fit, when I screw anything into them. I thought that the teflon tape would help, but that was like wishing that paint would mask some scratches. As it turns out, the o-rings fit perfectly in the adapter, so I no longer have a potential seal problem! And of course, they only came in a pack of 25
Unread 12-16-2002, 01:00 PM   #316
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Cant wait to see the results BEN.

Hows the performance with your new A7V8X board? Any problems so far??
LiquidRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2002, 04:12 PM   #317
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I can't wait either

I don't have an A7V8X, but I might pick up the A7N8X over the holidays, if my patience fails me just because I need measurements on the location of that socket!
Unread 12-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #318
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

US Plastics order arrived yesterday.

That flex PVC elbow is nicely flexible! (well worth it).

The nylon adapter fits nice and tight: no need for an o-ring there. It's also nicely tapered inside, a la ASME.

The flange and neoprene gasket (darn thick stuff!) will work well, but it's pretty big, so I might rebuild the airtrap in 1 inch, I dunno yet, depends on how it's all going to fit in the case. I can pickup the flange locally, as long as it's smaller than 1 1/2...
Unread 12-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #319
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
I can't wait either

I don't have an A7V8X, but I might pick up the A7N8X over the holidays, if my patience fails me just because I need measurements on the location of that socket!
Sorry dude. I meant A7N8X. Is the socket supposed to be in a different place?

I must check into that because that would surely throw a wrench into my plans if it is. I just assumed that the A7N8X would go by the usual AMD socket A specs.:shrug:

I hope you get it all put together soon. Id really like to see how it performs. Sounds promising.
Unread 12-18-2002, 08:56 AM   #320
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

My main concern right now is the placement of it all: if the socket (which would be on top of a mounted mobo) causes the seperating res to interfere with the seperating plate (mid-level) in the case, then I'd have to cut into that plate.

The inlets and outlets of the pump, block, rad and airtrap might end up at really odd distances from each other, but I won't know how it's all going to fit until I have the mobo.

Xmas shopping is putting a dent in my budget, so I'll have to wait until January to pick up the mobo, which is a good thing, because I want to see what KT400A has to offer.
Unread 12-23-2002, 01:59 PM   #321
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

If anyone ever wondered why McMaster shipping is so high...

I received the last part of my order, Friday: the 4 foot long 3/4 OD 5/8 ID tube. It was packed in a 4 foot long box (4 x 4), which was in turn stuffed into a 5 foot long box (6 x 6), with stuffing paper.

Of course, I only need a few inches

I got casters for the case .
Unread 12-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #322
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I almost forgot...

A non-progress item: where I work, there's a big shop for the oil drilling tools, and wandering through it all Friday, I found a particularly interestint area: the "Lapping room".
Unread 12-30-2002, 09:47 AM   #323
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Yesterday's progress:

I finished shaping the window, but I haven't glued it yet, because I may need to be able to slip my fingers in there!

I cut a 1 1/4 piece of tube, and tried to glue it with the (above) "Plastic Welder" to the cold side inlet, but the connecting point was the polypropylene 3/4 barb (inside), and the glue just wouldn't stick to it. On the plus side, I didn't need a clamp to join the elbow to the tube, so I opted to use Goop only, and forego the clamp. Also, the "Plastic Welder" bonded with the polycarbonate in a chemical reaction, which is the best one can hope.

So after lining everything up, I ended up using the Goop to connect the tube to the (screw in) inlet adapter, and fixing the tube, elbow and all.

I also had to shape/trim that 1 1/2 barb, to be able to slip the bigger tube over it, but again, I didn't glue it, since I had already found out that the "Plastic Welder" had no effect on polypropylene.

The next step is to send off a piece of Polycarbonate to Fixittt, for a prototype. In the mean time, I can finish the top (inner tube, and block top) and run some flow tests.
Unread 12-30-2002, 01:43 PM   #324
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

I have a few questions as I have tried to read as much of this thread as I can but I know I missed some stuff.

I looooong time ago myv65 made a statment (I belive it was at amdmb.com)(and this is not at all a quote so correct me if I am off base). You cannot get below ambient temp with strait water cooling and in fact ambient is not possible as any type of flow be it air or water creates it's own heat by friction from the moving matter against the non moving matter. That was not exactly as he said it but that is what I got out of it.

At the time I argued this a little, but come to know it as fact. So is it also true that the faster that flow is going the more heat it will make? So one question is with that massive amount of flow rate, what kind of self generating heat will be made by the water and whats in it? And second, with that massive pump, how much heat will be added to the water from it? That impellor has to be creating some serious friction with the water and I would think it would add some heat, not to mention the elecrtric motor itself adding a lot of heat. And then the air going through whatever radiator you have in mind. (have you calculated the offset of the restrictve radiator in your flow calculations?)

So my main question is will this extra added heat outway the actual performace gain you think you might get from this setup compared to more conventional setups? And being you cannot go below ambient or at ambient how much better do you expect this to be over the best now. I can't see it being much better than what cathar has done as it has to be getting close to the limit. And I mean close being 5-8C of ambient which may not be close for some but it is to me.

Sorry if these are a dumb questions as I honestly have no clue about any of the scientifc data compiled in this project. It is over my head.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #325
LiquidRulez
Cooling Savant

I dont think ANY watercooling solution' performance is getting close to its limit for cooling with water.
I think it still has alot of tweaking to do.
After all, water is the best liquid thermal conductor known to man isnt it?? We still have a way to go before we hit the wall with water for cooling.