Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-28-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
h4rm0nix
Cooling Neophyte

Default Sand in the Rad?

I ordered a new D-Tek Heater Core/Rad this week. I was rather impressed with it when it came in, however I just set it aside and went back to my work.

This morning I decided to go over some things and pulled out the core. As I turned it over in my hand I heard a sound not unlinke sand running through it.

I was stunned, so I kept shaking it and watched as very small (sand like) pieces of metal or something fell out of the inlets..

So I shook it until nothing else would come out, but there is still that faint sand sound.

So I'm wondering, I think I should return this thing, but I don't know, what are your thoughts? I could just hook it up to the pump and try to pump out the remainder?

H
h4rm0nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 08:28 PM   #2
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Just rinse it out.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
h4rm0nix
Cooling Neophyte

Sweet, thanks.

While I've got you here, one more thing. I picked up some clearflex tubing...wrong size (too big) however I was at Home Depot today for other stuff and found Vinyl Tubing at 1/10th of the price of Clearflex.

Now granted it's not as strong when you bend it, but is all this Tygon/Clearflex stuff worth it?

Thanks!

H
Unread 06-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by h4rm0nix
Sweet, thanks.

While I've got you here, one more thing. I picked up some clearflex tubing...wrong size (too big) however I was at Home Depot today for other stuff and found Vinyl Tubing at 1/10th of the price of Clearflex.

Now granted it's not as strong when you bend it, but is all this Tygon/Clearflex stuff worth it?

Thanks!

H
Yes and no. I use the vinyl myself as it is dirt cheap. Problems with it is kinking. It is PLENTY strong enough, that has nothing to do with it. The Tygon and Clearfex bend much much easier without kinking and is a favorite because of that. There might be some other positives I don't know about I guess, but the vinyl works great for me, but I have no tight bends as I don't even use my water cooling systems in cases. If I Was going to stuff it in a case i would probably get Clearflex though.

Also it probably IS sand as I am pretty sure they sand blast them before painting. They should be capping the inlet/outlet though. But like Ben said flush it out. Should be fine.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2003, 10:20 PM   #5
h4rm0nix
Cooling Neophyte

Great, Thanks.

I guess the Vinyl will end up having to go once I get the new case in and looked over.

I appreciate the speedy response.

Also, I wish I had seen your personal site before I ordered my pump, that's a sweet pump you've got on there for only $30 bucks.

ahh well, perhaps next time.

H