Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 06-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #1
Monty
Cooling Neophyte

Default Dirty water tower...how to clean

I recently built an evap tower using a 5 gallon bucket and 4" pvc pipe....about 5 feet tall. Temps are great, about 25c full load. Problem is, my cooling loop is getting dirty, I can actually see dust/debris clining to the inside of my lines. I don't think I have a bio-funk problem as I'm using tap water and add about a gallon of fresh each day. I think it's just a normal collection of dust and crap from the air.

First thing I'm doing is adding a fan filter, and I've flushed the loop with several bucket loads of fresh water. Unfortunately I still have a lot of funk clinging to the inside of my lines and I'm sure to the insides of my blocks.

Is there any type of chemical I can use to flush the system? Particulary anything that is safe for my pumps (ViaAqua 1300's) and blocks (swifty cpu and gpu). I'm not particularly in the mood to tear the whole thing down, take apart the blocks and clean it all up. I will if I have to, but its only been running about a month and I was hoping there was some way I could flush it some how.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

I was thinking that an aquarium filter might be good here, though it might require a second pump :shrug: (/me + fish = dead fish).

Bob
Unread 06-25-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
Got KarmA?
Cooling Neophyte

I'm interested as well.

I was thinking a humidifier tablet but it might foam.
Got KarmA? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 07:20 PM   #4
Freaek
Cooling Neophyte

I read in another thread (can't remember which?) that someone used pine sol? or something and that cleaned their gunk really well.

What we need is some nanobots in the coolant to automatically clean gunk from the system, and repair any leaks they find (I saw the Hulk last night
Freaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Nanobots aside (even though it's a cool movie ), Airspirit is the one that tried it, here.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2003, 09:29 PM   #6
Got KarmA?
Cooling Neophyte

Interesting read, thanks BB.

I was hoping for something that could be run in a permanent basis on my bong setup ... I'm not sure if that UV thing would work, however. *shrug*
Got KarmA? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 12:11 AM   #7
Monty
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the link BigBen.....might try the pinesol solution.....but I'll likely just scrub since I don't think my gunk is bio.....
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote