Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
but it's not going to hurt anything.
Wrong. Do I really need to say why?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:02 PM   #27
Groth
Cooling Savant

Someone less lazy than I should write an article/sticky about pelt chillers. Anyone?
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #28
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
Wrong. Do I really need to say why?
Well, it'll hurt the wallet, with an extra to the electric bill that's mostly wasted... but running a rad along with an in-line, low-power chiller won't hurt anything, no.

Do you see something that I don't? :shrug:
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #29
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben2k
Well, it'll hurt the wallet, with an extra to the electric bill that's mostly wasted... but running a rad along with an in-line, low-power chiller won't hurt anything, no.

Do you see something that I don't? :shrug:
Two things come to mind.
1) The pelt was to be run off the computers PS. What is the reason most people want extreamly cold temps in the first place for? What happens when you suck up to much of the PS's power?

2) What does a chiller (that doesn't add any cooling benifit to the loop) do to the flow rate? Has it not been proven that more flow rate is better?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #30
Groth
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee116
Two things come to mind.
1) ... ? ... ?

2) ... ? ... ?
Hey! Quit stealin' my personality!
Groth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:20 PM   #31
muffy
Cooling Neophyte

laying the smack down

hi guys i was thinking of doing the same idea as this guy but with way more power
i've got 2 120mm radiators 1/2 inc pipe @ 400 l/h with 100cfm of air blowing through them and i was going to run 2 80watt tec's inline with them, cooled by 100cfm of air with massive heat sinks on the back of each . i obviously know this is over kill, to cool the cpu and vga card . i guess at max it'd only need 80watt's output from the tec's so i'll have a switch to run them at that...........

Anyway all this aside. I think were all happy with the fact that a tec inline with radiators, at best will only be able to keep the water temp at ambient. So is'nt the most obvious question whether or not the radiators can actually in practice keep the water temp at ambient temp ? i know theoretically radiators should be able to keep the water below ambient temp. but does it actually ? .......... my last setup which had about 1/4 the size radiators didn't keep the water temp at ambient.(which might be why)

so my point is can't you stick a thermometer in the water and test the water temp at full load and however much over ambient the water is ( suggesting it is )that should be the maximum temp drop that could be expected from the tec's

After reading this thread i think i'll stick a 172watt tec between the cpu and water block now. cause there seems little point in an inline system. However i'd still be willing to put money on the fact that that water won’t be running at ambient when i load it up with the vga card and 172watt tec. but i guess we'll just find out. So I might do both. Well only if there’s a point to it. But it’s simple to test who’s right or wrong.

So in conclusion a 5 degree drop or more may be obtainable depending on how efficient your radiators are and how much wattage the tec’s are. ( I wouldn’t however put money on whether or not this guy who started this thread’s system will work or not, cause I don’t remember seeing much detail about his system and that valcan cooler isn’t very big).

michael dixon
muffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:44 PM   #32
HAL-9000
Cooling Savant

Default The water will get warmer in your setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffy
hi guys i was thinking of doing the same idea as this guy but with way more power
i've got 2 120mm radiators 1/2 inc pipe @ 400 l/h with 100cfm of air blowing through them and i was going to run 2 80watt tec's inline with them, cooled by 100cfm of air with massive heat sinks on the back of each . i obviously know this is over kill, to cool the cpu and vga card . i guess at max it'd only need 80watt's output from the tec's so i'll have a switch to run them at that...........

Anyway all this aside. I think were all happy with the fact that a tec inline with radiators, at best will only be able to keep the water temp at ambient. So is'nt the most obvious question whether or not the radiators can actually in practice keep the water temp at ambient temp ? i know theoretically radiators should be able to keep the water below ambient temp. but does it actually ? .......... my last setup which had about 1/4 the size radiators didn't keep the water temp at ambient.(which might be why)

so my point is can't you stick a thermometer in the water and test the water temp at full load and however much over ambient the water is ( suggesting it is )that should be the maximum temp drop that could be expected from the tec's

After reading this thread i think i'll stick a 172watt tec between the cpu and water block now. cause there seems little point in an inline system. However i'd still be willing to put money on the fact that that water won’t be running at ambient when i load it up with the vga card and 172watt tec. but i guess we'll just find out. So I might do both. Well only if there’s a point to it. But it’s simple to test who’s right or wrong.

So in conclusion a 5 degree drop or more may be obtainable depending on how efficient your radiators are and how much wattage the tec’s are. ( I wouldn’t however put money on whether or not this guy who started this thread’s system will work or not, cause I don’t remember seeing much detail about his system and that valcan cooler isn’t very big).

michael dixon
If you run your 172w Pelt at optimum voltage and current for QMax, it will load another 277w into your loop on top of the other heat sources in your system. It will definitely make the water warmer.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote