Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Xtreme Cooling
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Xtreme Cooling LN2, Dry Ice, Peltiers, etc... All the usual suspects

Unread 01-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #26
Brad
Thermophile

you need to feed it more voltage really, 1.85v is barely above default.

if I was in your position, I'd do a vmod on the mobo, unlock the cpu, and go for it
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:13 PM   #27
Butcher
Thermophile

In socket thermistors are useless. I wouldn't be surprised if the temps were 10 or even 20C out.
Unread 01-14-2002, 09:27 PM   #28
Brad
Thermophile

yeah of course, they all are, but even for one, that is quite a good result
Unread 01-27-2002, 12:46 AM   #29
PsyKoRealm
Cooling Neophyte

Default Peltiers!

I have used various pelts from different places TEC dis. and local stores. What i did notice about TEC Dis. is that there pelts dont' cool as much as the one i ordered localy. Even when compared to a pelt of lower rating it did not hit the low temps that i thought it would. Yes of course the 176W pelt that you have is powerful but it seems to be that if you clamp the pelt down hard and have sufficient water flow then your temps should be around 10C. Something about the temps dont' seem right. Maybe you should try getting the water very cold ie. putting frozen bottles of 2 liter sodas in. Have the water temps as low as possible and then see what kind of temps you get. If you go lower , which you should then its the water, it you stay the same then its the waterblock, pelt, clamp, core configuration thats wrong.
256MB DDR400
300w PSU
20GIG Western Digital
40GIG Quantum Fireball
MSI Gefore 4 Ti4200 @ 280 / 610
48X Lite-On @ 52X Fireware Flash
16X DVD
SBLive! Value
10/100 LAN
Zalman HSF
PsyKoRealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2002, 04:59 AM   #30
Brad
Thermophile

hmmmm, thats an interesting idea, but I've heard of people getting great temps from the pelts bought at DDen, which as far as I know are all TeDist pelts

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 02-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #31
immudium
Cooling Neophyte

Hello again. It's been while since I've posted here and since I've been able to work on my water cooler. But also I've been waiting on a digital thermal probe I ordered from Frozencpu which finally came.

I might be better off starting a new thread on this one, but I had been wondering how well my Danger Den super cube radiator was performing and so now with this new thermal probe of mine, I'm attempting to find out.

Anyway, I moved the pump after the radiator so I wouldn't be adding heat to it. I then taped the probe to the silicone tubing just before the radiator intake and then again just after the radiator exhaust. My system had been running for an hour and the cpu was at idle. I left the probe on for 5-10 minutes before moving it:

Pre-Radiator - 41.5 C
Post-Radiator - 40.5 C
Post-Pump - 43.5 C
Ambient - 22.0 C

Ambient was measured both with the thermal probe and a traditional mercury based thermometer and they were within 1 degree of each other. Anyway, this doesn't seem right at all. I've read that water blocks favor high flow rate and radiators favor low flow rates unless you increase the volume of the radiator which is where I thought the Super Cuber would come into play for me. Therefore, I am a little stumped as to why I don't see more of a dramatic drop in temp from the radiator. Also I find it very odd that the "hose" temp, if you will, leaving the pump is actually higher than the hose temp entering the radiator. Once the water leaves the water block it travels about 16" to the radiator so maybe a lot of heat is disapated during that time.

Anyway, I've been known to do some dumb things in my time, but I'm pretty sure I at least got the flow direction right. It is an Eheim 1250, water comes in the side opposite the power cord and leaves out the top, pretty straight forward. I also need to mention that I don't know what I was smoking when I posted earlier, but I am not using two 7200 rpm 120mm fans, they are 2700 rpm 120mm fans I ripped out of an old 4X Pentium Pro server, so I apologize for my overstatement. But two of these, one on the front and one on the back should be providing adequate airflow.

Anway, any ideas on what I should target to get my water temps closer to ambient? I've tried finding reviews and real world data on the super cube, but for some reason they are either amazingly hard to find or non-existent. Would I have better luck switching to a heater core? Or how about adding another (albeit expensive solution) Super cube in series or parallel?

As always, thanks for an advice or input!
immudium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2002, 06:44 AM   #32
Brad
Thermophile

it might be an idea to buy another super cube, to have uniformity, it would look a lot better than two differant sorts of radiators. I'd probably run them in parallel as well btw.

Or just buy one big heatercore

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Unread 02-15-2002, 11:52 PM   #33
EMC2
Cooling Savant

Default Just some silly thoughts in passing

Attaching the probe to the outer wall of the silicone tubing might not be giving you a decent reading of the water temps. Silicon has a thermal conductivity in the 1.3 W/mK range (for comparison good ole pure copper is 388 W/mK). In other words, it's a poor thermal conductor. (Granted the walls are thin, but none the less)

You said you put the pump after the radiator to prevent adding heat to it. Which of course means you are adding heat to the water just before it enters the block, instead of letting the radiator shed the heat added by the pump before it goes to the block.

You might want to measure the inlet and outlet air temps to/from the radiator (will give you an idea of how much heat is being dumped to the air by the rad and let you know if part of the problem is the inlet air temp to the radiator).

Water temps of 41C (if that really is the water temp) with 22C ambient (if ambient air is going into the rad) is pretty high for a system that is [/b]idling[/b].

Regarding cube vs heatercore... I would suggest a good heatercore(s). More efficient, less expensive. Whatever you decide on, if there are more than two, then I would suggest running them in parallel.
EMC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 01:48 AM   #34
Brad
Thermophile

40C temps or above are seriously not good, most people have their temps slightly over ambient, replace your rad, or increase airflow over the rad