Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 10-28-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Default Question for Cathar

On my thread about using copper/silver alloys you said you were going to make a few blocks with silver in part of the block.

I've read your info about your block on your thread here. With your thin base how will you do a silver insert? Or will the base be silver and the top/upper portion be copper?

If I've missed something and a insert is possible how do you minimize the boundry between the two metals reduction in thermal performance? How much % increaqse do you feel the silver will give your design?
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Also while on the silver/copper subject, what kind of corrosion/growth effects can accure (if any) with the two metals? I never seen any info on how water reacts with silver.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2002, 10:40 PM   #3
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Another really good question.
Unread 10-29-2002, 03:30 AM   #4
MadDogMe
Thermophile

The whole bottom section would be silver, inserts are a waste of time, the Thermal Interface between them is derogatory...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 03:37 AM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile

The whole bottom plate is silver.

The top two plates will still be copper.

Am toying with the idea of making Lexan top/middle plates just for the silver based blocks but will investigate strength considerations.

Nice engineering before rice engineering.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 03:56 AM   #6
MadDogMe
Thermophile

Is there a difference in the Cu used in your blocks?, I mean the middle/jet plate always looks like brass?. are you really going to call your block 'little river/rapids' Cathar?, IMO White Water would be better, 'specialy for a silver one...
MadDogMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2002, 04:00 AM   #7
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMe
Is there a difference in the Cu used in your blocks?, I mean the middle/jet plate always looks like brass?. are you really going to call your block 'little river/rapids' Cathar?, IMO White Water would be better, 'specialy for a silver one...
Hmm, I like that one. White Water.

Yeah, maybe I'll reserve that name for the Silver specials.

It's all the same copper in my blocks. The base block is bead blasted for increased surface area, and gives it that pink color.
Unread 10-29-2002, 06:54 AM   #8
Blackeagle
Thermophile

I may have missed something here. I thought your block was in 2 sections with a jet insert in the center barb/inlet. If you have made a improvement to this could you post a pic? And is this change for better manufacturing needs or better performance, both?

What are the costs going to be when you build some for sale, or is it to soon to tell. I'd be interested in the price for both the all copper and the silver or silver/plexi types.

That silver/plexi while more expensive would have to be really sharp. Sharp might not be strong enough of a term for one that had a plexi top on the silver.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 10-29-2002 at 07:01 AM.
Unread 10-29-2002, 06:59 AM   #9
Cathar
Thermophile

Picture of final production block.

Email me at slf@connect.com.au (spam filtered email ) and I'll send you some email back from my real address.

The blocks are already being made and sold to those requesting and paying. The first blocks will ship this Friday.
Unread 10-29-2002, 07:24 AM   #10
Blackeagle
Thermophile

I sent you a e-mail Cathar.