Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-27-2004, 05:20 AM   #176
BalefireX
Cooling Savant

Whats that missing?

Chrome High Flow Barbs.
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #177
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalefireX
Whats that missing?

Chrome High Flow Barbs.
Well the barbs are 10.5mm ID. 1/2" OD barbs don't come with much wider ID than that. Indeed I am giving very serious thought to getting them chrome plated.

Yes, the material is black delrin.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:17 AM   #178
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Well here's a piccy of a somewhat dirty prototype G4. Sides don't quite align properly, but since people always ask for pictures....

Very similiar so far to what I got. Will be interesting to see the internals soon and how much of a difference that makes. I like the delrin, makes for a light weight block. Is it cheaper?

SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:20 AM   #179
Cathar
Thermophile

Yes, the delrin certainly seems to be less dense than polycarbonate. Seem to be able to use a lot of it and still not add that much in weight.

LOL - I like the game of cat'n'mouse between you and I Syscrusher. Actually am not too sure that pictures of the internals of the G4 would be all that helpful to many. Unless you really understand what you're looking for you'd be forgiven for thinking - "Yeah? So what's the big deal?"
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:24 AM   #180
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Wonder if I can find it in different colours other than black or white. Must be easier on the mill?
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #181
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Wow no THAT is a useless picture. The only thing it really shows is the black delrin, and we already knew about that... We want to know the underlying theory!!! I can't think of anything involving storms (excepting thousands of tonnes of water moving) that would be applicable to cooling. Calling a storm the most destructive force of nature is really misleading, I must say.
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:37 AM   #182
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
LOL - I like the game of cat'n'mouse between you and I Syscrusher. Actually am not too sure that pictures of the internals of the G4 would be all that helpful to many. Unless you really understand what you're looking for you'd be forgiven for thinking - "Yeah? So what's the big deal?"

lol Your probably right. I remember my first design and all I got was "So?" or "Why?". I wouldn't show it at all if it was me up until the last minute. Though I'm itching pretty bad to see how you done it. I know all those little details make a difference. One of those details is not much of a difference but add all those little details and your on to something.
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:40 AM   #183
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
Wow no THAT is a useless picture. The only thing it really shows is the black delrin, and we already knew about that... We want to know the underlying theory!!! I can't think of anything involving storms (excepting thousands of tonnes of water moving) that would be applicable to cooling. Calling a storm the most destructive force of nature is really misleading, I must say.

Are you always this negative? Not really misleading, sometimes it's just better to keep the other side guessing.
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #184
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAlpaca
LOL - Now, now AA. I know you're frustrated.

A storm is not one of the most (mass) destructive forces of nature (on the planet)? Guess you better head down to various states in SW USA and tell them that.

"Storm" is just a code-name anyway. I already have a name for the block. "Storm" is not it.
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:56 AM   #185
BalefireX
Cooling Savant

Storms aren't destructive? Check today's news.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5054522/
Unread 05-27-2004, 08:57 AM   #186
AngryAlpaca
Cooling Savant

Quote:
An atmospheric disturbance manifested in strong winds accompanied by rain, snow, or other precipitation and often by thunder and lightning.
That's a storm. A tornado, as would probably be found in the SW USA, is much more destructive, as is a hurricane. If THOSE are the effects of which you speak (I think they may be) that's an entirely different story. I suppose a storm in Peru (one of those crazy newage ones) would be really destructive as well, I guess, but once again, just a lot of water.
Quote:
Are you always this negative? Not really misleading, sometimes it's just better to keep the other side guessing
Mostly, but I'm on drugs to fix that.

The fact that I'm bitching about this indicates to me that I've got far too mcuh time on my hands in the morning...
AngryAlpaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #187
Cathar
Thermophile

While you've got the dictionary in hand, look up some of the words you just used and tell me that the word "storm" does not appear in any of the definitions...It certainly does in my dictionary.

Look, it's just word play. You're getting way too fixated on it. What? You want me to start spelling stuff out for people exactly what the cooling effect resembles and name it as such so all can run off to their mills and ferret away on it?
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #188
Pug
Cooling Neophyte

Well, I'm guessing it's unlikely you've replicated anything along the lines of an earthquake so I'm gonna guess "Tsunami".

Nice idea with the Delrin btw.
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:29 AM   #189
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Derlin? We used to use it to make embossor dies at stamp works. We would use the Laser to make a design, then flip the design and make a matching die. Then put it in the crimper and it crimps the design into paper. It is a very stroung material although kind a flexable. Jfettig made a block with a derline top and couldn't get he O-ring to seal because the derlin flexed to much. Although the massive o-ring used didn't help either.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #190
Cathar
Thermophile

Unsure of the specifics of what JFettig was doing. Have no such issues here with sealing. The block clamps together very nicely, although I am using a 1/2" thickness of the material on the top plate. Fairly inflexible (for purposes of O-ring sealing) at that thickness. The stock material isn't totally flat from the shop though, and the pieces do get a run-over with a fly-cutter to flatten them out.
Unread 05-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #191
Joe Camel
Cooling Neophyte

Default NO inside pics...EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pHaestus
needs more "i will kick your ass" stickers across the individual platess to seal it up (think Danger Den meets Schwartzenneggar)

WARNING: Water Block will Self Destruct if opened! (you'll LOOSE fingers, not just CUT them, pHaestus!!)

something like that?

A64 Phase cooled:
FX-55 @ 3204MHz (267x12) - MSI Neo2 - MachII - OCZ DDR Booster & VX @ 3.6V , 267 @ 2,2,2,5 1:1 - x800 XT-PE @ 665/608 - DD Maze4 with 172w TEC 14V TEC PSU - 500W X-Connect PSU

A64 Water cooled:
3500 Venice @ 3000MHz (300x10) - DFI LP Ultra-D - Storm G5, D4 pump @ 16V, BIXII, 4x100+ CFM fans - OCZ VX @ 3.6V , 300 5:6 = 250 @ 2,2,2,6 - x850 XT @ 600/630 - socket A HSF & 80mm Tornado , copper mem sinks - OCZ 600W PSU
Joe Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #192
Jabo
Cooling Savant

What about a little glass container with violtile chemicals which mixed together react producing massive amounts of heat (non-explosive to avoid shrapnel) to melt insides if tampered with? Gentlemen, meet Mr James B. LOL
If derline (or however it is spelled) is so flexible why not make a little sharp upstand and use more than 4 bolts to secure tow parts together?
Unread 05-27-2004, 03:19 PM   #193
JFettig
Cooling Savant

Looks good stew, (I sent you a pm at overclockers)

about the O-ring problem, I was using too thin of material, dont worry about it with the half inch stuff.

Jon
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2004, 09:47 PM   #194
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Updates? ?
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #195
Polski Radon
Cooling Neophyte

Check the OCAU website.

Addicted to folding club member #4

Visit Gdansk!

Dulce et Decorum est pro Patria Mori
Polski Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 12:58 AM   #196
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackeagle
Updates? ?
Back in Australia again.

The Cascade SS and the G4 have been tested by Phaestus and should be heading back my way. Interesting results with the SS actually, and somewhat puts the regular Cascade to shame.

The G4 test was an interesting scenario. The G4 results, while excellent, weren't quite what I expected (I expected a little better).

Now I test with pure water. Phaestus tests with a 25% glycol mix. I am acutely aware that one of the principles in the operation of the G4 is more heavily affected by the kinematic viscosity of the liquid than some other designs. I had pretty much designed around kinematic viscosities typical of water/alcohol, but a 25% glycol mix is around 5x more viscous than water, and I strongly suspect that this is causing an issue. Certainly in the models, the kinematic viscosity is very important.

For example, in one of the accidental prototypes of the G4, in which the machinists had misprogrammed the block and left off the very things that makes the block do its job, and resulted in performance for me that was somewhat behind what Phaestus saw, basically falling to around regular copper Cascade performance.

As viscosity goes up, the effect of those elements is diminished as they are not "significant" enough to push the goop about in the way that they do with plain water. Get the goop thick enough, and they may as well not even be there.

So the plan is to very slightly modify the design to be slightly more goop tolerant, and also be a little less restrictive. These things were already planned before with a question mark, but with these results, will most likely go ahead.

I just need my blocks back again to emperically confirm the mathematical explanation to the results that Phaestus saw, and this will prompt the final design. As a result, I'll also have to include an explanation about not using >10% concentrations of glycol in one's mix to achieve best performance.

Once that is finalised, I can then get the G5 (silver) plans finished and get a prototype of that made up.

So yeah - slight spanner in the works until I can establish what the full story is. Nothing major, it just needs to be investigated, explained, and accounted for.
Unread 06-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #197
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
... I am acutely aware that one of the principles in the operation of the G4 is more heavily affected by the kinematic viscosity of the liquid than some other designs. .

An example of the temperature effect on h of as predicted by Sieder-Tate and Flomerics.
Although have not isolated Kinematic Viscosity, this is probably partially responsible.
Have you anything similar for "one of the principles in the operation of the G4" ?
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2004, 02:49 AM   #198
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Have you anything similar for "one of the principles in the operation of the G4" ?
Nothing I am willing to discuss.

Actually the effect is not something that I've ever seen modelled mathematically and I do admit to somewhat fumbling in the dark myself with it through extrapolating and modifying similar models. Overall I seem to keep hitting the mark, with theory matching up with results most of the time.

The nature of the problem has more to do with the elements not impacting the fluid as much when the fluid is more viscous. The closest analogy I guess would be stirring a cup of water as opposed to a cup of honey. The effect of the stirrer on water has lingering effects, but when stirring honey the effects dissipate very soon after the stirrer passes. The problem is not so much directly related to how the viscosity affects the convectional process, but how the viscosity affects the turbulence enhancement down the track.

Sorry Les, I know that you really want some hard numbers and maths for all this. Sadly I am partially unable to explain it adequately in theory, and even for what I do have, I am unwilling to share at this point in time.
Unread 06-23-2004, 02:51 AM   #199
Les
Cooling Savant

Deliberately not inquiring about the principle.
Not trying to educe which principle
Just interested in the effects
Unread 06-23-2004, 03:03 AM   #200
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Actually the effect is not something that I've ever seen modelled mathematically and I do admit to somewhat fumbling in the dark myself with it through extrapolating and modifying similar models. for all this.
So what is this?
Quote:
.... to emperically confirm the mathematical explanation to the results .......