Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 11-21-2002, 12:49 AM   #1
IFMU
Cooling Neophyte

Default Dual PSU Question...

Ok heres the deal. I presently have 2 PSU's running the equipment on my system.
Specs
Tyan Tiger 2466
2 x 1.3 Durons
256 ECC Reg Corsair Mem (about to order more!!)
Raidmax 530? I believe? Its 5 something.
Antec True 430w
blah blah blah hardware.... But that covers the majority that should effect most of this. If you need more info let me know and Ill post it up.

Now, I have tested the 12 and 5v reading using several programs. Sandra and MBM for starters. Im presuming they are not both reading them wrong. Both read the 12v at arround 12.59 (cant recall exacts) but the 5v stays around 4.88. As I write this it is actually at 4.93.
From my understandings, this is a little too low.
So, I am curious if I can take and plug the 2nd PSU into the Motherboard, in the molex that is next to the ATX Plug.
Ive been told the 4 pin (square) connecter is what helps handle the 12v, which is fine. So no reason to mess with that correct?
So if I was to do this, would it hurt the board? Or would I need to set the 2nd PSU to start when the system starts? At this point, it is on another switch entirely. (I power it on right before I power the system on.)

So... any help?

Image!

Ah yea, one more thing.. I do not have access to the hardware to physically read the power from the lines either.. so I have to go off of software readings... is it possible that I just didnt set it up right on the MBM install? or???
IFMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2002, 01:10 AM   #2
Brad
Thermophile

I have never tried to run two psu's connected to the same board. I have hotswapped ATX12v, AUX, and 4 pin Molex's before, in a variety of boards, it never resulted in dead hardware.

I could see a possible problem if you turned on your secondary psu before your main psu, it could cause problems with the rest of the 12v items on your board.

If you aren't suffering with any stability issues then I just wouldn't bother with what you are suggesting, there is just too much chance to blow something up.

Even if your system was unstable, I'd just buy a single large power supply, and be done with it

2x 2400+ at 2288mhz (16.0 x 143), Iwill MPX2, 2x Kingmax PC-3200 256mb sticks, 4x 20gb 60gxp in Raid 5 on a Promise SX6000. Asus Ti4200 320/630. Cooled by Water
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2002, 11:18 AM   #3
jtroutma
Cooling Savant

I concur with Brad on this one.

Does anyone else have a problem with his 12V line being 12.59V; thats too high for me.

Personally, I would replace that PSU ASAP with a reading that high on the 12V line and with a sort of low reading on the 5V line (4.88 I have heard is pushing the stability mark)

BTW, you dont have access to a volt meter?!? Thats all you need in order to test the 12V and 5V lines on your PSU! (OH! and a paperclip )
SCSI Raid 5 x (3) Cheetah 15K HDDs
LSI Express 500 (128MB cache)
OCZ PowerStream 520W PSU
ATI X850XT PE (Stock)
DTEK WhiteWater + DTEK Custom Radiator
Eheim 1250
jtroutma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2002, 07:16 PM   #4
IFMU
Cooling Neophyte

Unfortunately, not I dont have access to a meter to read this thing.

Im not too worried about it really. Ive been running this now for quite some time with 2 different PSU's and still get about the same reading. Im thinking theres something in the board thats reading it wrong. One of these days, Ill get a meter to read it and see what its all actually at. Just a po' boy that cant at the moment.
IFMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2002, 01:12 AM   #5
Boltz
Cooling Neophyte

I wouldnt use the 2nd PSU to power the aux power, this as far as i have seen is usually from the same power supply

so

by getting a newer ATX p4 compatible 300 or higher watt supply you will get the required connectors to properly do what you want.

I know that the motherboard monitor is sometimes not exactly accurate for measuring the voltage. I suggest going to radioshack or an electronics store, even canadian tire..... and puck up a cheap analog or digital volt meter... go digital if you can. there are cheap ones for arround $20 tha dont have many functions.
Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote