Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 01-30-2003, 12:06 PM   #401
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

The last time I told Utabintarbo to change the fin diameter, I said: "I'm increasing the diameter of the fin pattern to 25 mm". ( think I asked him to change it at least 4 times! Sorry Bob!)

Well, that was meant to cover the Barton core, plus 2mm.

Seeing that we now have some more accurate (!) measurements here, it looks like a 20mm diameter would do just fine.

(Go ahead, calculate it!)

Bob, are you there? (ducking)
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 01:38 PM   #402
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

I had a crazy idea this morning: what if I used this new flow seperator, the one that drops into the channels, and reverse the flow? I'd have a jet directed at that deadspot!

Problem is, the baseplate is actually hotter than the fins, so the center inlet is actually best: the jet works best against a hot surface, not along it's side. Oh well.
Unread 01-30-2003, 04:48 PM   #403
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
I had a crazy idea this morning: what if I used this new flow seperator, the one that drops into the channels, and reverse the flow? I'd have a jet directed at that deadspot!

Problem is, the baseplate is actually hotter than the fins, so the center inlet is actually best: the jet works best against a hot surface, not along it's side. Oh well.
How about this. Cut your fins just right where they meet in the middle so you end up with a circle pin dead center. Raise this pin slightly higher than the fins so it's just poking up through your nozzle. An idea I was thinking about trying with mine. I don't know if it would work but you never know.
SysCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 05:21 PM   #404
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by SysCrusher
How about this. Cut your fins just right where they meet in the middle so you end up with a circle pin dead center. Raise this pin slightly higher than the fins so it's just poking up through your nozzle. An idea I was thinking about trying with mine. I don't know if it would work but you never know.
Some mills even have a swieling head to where you could tapper the middle pin like /\. My mill can, but I havn't played with that option much. That might help keep the middle pin from creating more restrictiveness (is that a word? ).
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2003, 07:04 PM   #405
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Now I know you haven't been paying attention!

Cutting the center fins is not an option! If anything, I'd like to hear how I could connect the next set of 4 fins, without hindering flow!
Unread 02-01-2003, 10:05 AM   #406
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
The last time I told Utabintarbo to change the fin diameter, I said: "I'm increasing the diameter of the fin pattern to 25 mm". ( think I asked him to change it at least 4 times! Sorry Bob!)

Well, that was meant to cover the Barton core, plus 2mm.

Seeing that we now have some more accurate (!) measurements here, it looks like a 20mm diameter would do just fine.

(Go ahead, calculate it!)

Bob, are you there? (ducking)
Yeah, you better duck!

I will see what I can do this weekend. Any other requests, O lord and master? Shall I modify the top as previously suggested?

Bob
Unread 02-01-2003, 11:43 PM   #407
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Ah! My minion is back!

Let's go with the modification to the top's outlet, as I stated earlier.

Since that'll be the final design, and because I'll be doing the insert/nozzle seperately, I shall release you!

I should have SW2k3 up and running soon enough. Thank you very much; you've been an absolutely enormous help. How you put up with me for so long, I don't know...
Unread 02-03-2003, 10:36 AM   #408
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Ah! My minion is back!

Let's go with the modification to the top's outlet, as I stated earlier.

Since that'll be the final design, and because I'll be doing the insert/nozzle seperately, I shall release you!

I should have SW2k3 up and running soon enough. Thank you very much; you've been an absolutely enormous help. How you put up with me for so long, I don't know...
It boggles the mind, eh?

See what I can do....

Bob
Unread 02-19-2003, 07:54 AM   #409
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's the latest render (Thanks to Utabintarbo), as close to final as it's going to be!

Now to solve the inlet problem...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radial_fin_base5_large2.jpg (25.4 KB, 483 views)
Unread 02-19-2003, 08:11 AM   #410
hara
Cooling Savant

I'm sure you've already said this but i'm too lazy to check back but...what is the diameter of the + ?

Also, what is the base thickness?

Thanks
hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #411
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Fin pattern diameter has recently changed, it's now 20mm, to cover a Barton core.

BP thickness was originally 2mm, but I might reduce it down to one.
Unread 02-19-2003, 01:31 PM   #412
hara
Cooling Savant

20mm seemed a bit too small when designing this block. I'm really surprised as we both came to the same "radius".

Also that block currently has a 2mm base but we're currently opting for it to become 2.5mm as it will be used in a low flow environment.
Unread 02-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #413
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Interesting...

I used Cathar's estimate, by which the fin pattern covers the die, then extends past it by 2mm. I then calculated the required diameter, based on the AMD spec die size for a Barton core.

As for the baseplate, the thermal simulation (i believe) used a 2mm bp (Right Bob?), so I may have justification to go to 1.5, if I can ever resolve my inlet problem...
Unread 02-24-2003, 11:20 AM   #414
hara
Cooling Savant

That simulation is based on quite a high flow though.
- FMZ
Unread 02-27-2003, 08:20 AM   #415
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Interesting...

I used Cathar's estimate, by which the fin pattern covers the die, then extends past it by 2mm. I then calculated the required diameter, based on the AMD spec die size for a Barton core.

As for the baseplate, the thermal simulation (i believe) used a 2mm bp (Right Bob?), so I may have justification to go to 1.5, if I can ever resolve my inlet problem...
I believe bp thickness has been consistently set @ 1.5mm. At least that is what the drawings show me. :shrug:

Bob

Last edited by utabintarbo; 02-27-2003 at 10:38 AM.
utabintarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2003, 11:43 AM   #416
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Easy enough, thanks Bob!

So I may yet reduce the BP thickness by 0.5 mm, but I'm going to run some calcs first.

Keep an eye out for another thread. (I'll link it back here).
Unread 03-10-2003, 08:00 PM   #417
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicozeg
With an 1/4 nozzle, your effective intake area is going to be really small, about 12mm2, cause the fin area has to be substracted. I'd go for a bit wider nozzle, plus the tip removal.
I calculated the actual area of the opening, and it came out to 13.00 mm^2. Nice guess! (I might post my calculations, if there's an interest, PM me!)

Tonight, I'm trying to calculate the hydraulic equivalent. I'll be using 4 rectangles, 1 by 3.25 mm. I can't think of any other way to try to estimate the pressure drop.

My latest considerations: dropping the BP thickness to 1.0, and/or dropping the fin height to 4mm. I'm still thinking about it...

Now how'd I let this thread drop to page 2?

ref 19632
Attached Images
File Type: gif flow.gif (8.0 KB, 297 views)
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:47 PM   #418
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Ben, I'd drop the fin height to 4mm too. Also, think of your inlet as if it was 4 separate nozzles. With your hose barb sitting almost ontop of the center crossed fins, it's basically 4 nozzles in one. With my calculations and experimenting, though I'm no pro at either, roughly a 4 - 5 mm opening for a round nozzle is best. That is what I found but that is for a round nozzle where your's is a triangle with a rounded bottom. I suck at geometry so calculating that area is beyond me. You could make your inlet square to meet a round hole for the barb. An idea that may be easy?
Unread 03-11-2003, 01:17 PM   #419
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I calculated the actual area of the opening, and it came out to 13.00 mm^2. Nice guess! (I might post my calculations, if there's an interest, PM me!)
Cough cough, and if you substract the four fillets at the central corners it will end up closer to 12

The four rectangles seems a good aproximation
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2003, 01:32 PM   #420
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Ben, I'd drop the fin height to 4mm too.
I don't think anymore than 4 is needed, because I've seen the thermals but why do you think so?

Quote:
Also, think of your inlet as if it was 4 separate nozzles. With your hose barb sitting almost on top of the center crossed fins, it's basically 4 nozzles in one. With my calculations and experimenting, though I'm no pro at either, roughly a 4 - 5 mm opening for a round nozzle is best. That is what I found but that is for a round nozzle where your's is a triangle with a rounded bottom. I suck at geometry so calculating that area is beyond me. You could make your inlet square to meet a round hole for the barb. An idea that may be easy?
Well, what concerns me is to make sure that the jet isn't going to be sucked out to the side/outlet. As it stands, the opening (of a quarter of the area) is 3.25mm by 1 (or equivalent), and the outlet is 5mm by 1mm, twice. That means that my inlet is much smaller than the outlet, so the jet should work fine, even if I drop the height to 4mm.

But I have to revise the thermal before I make that decision.

The jet has to hit the baseplate, but I'm kinda hoping that it'll pickup some heat from the center fin too.

From the original flow analysis, only the bottom 1mm is moving at any significant speed: that bothers me, a bit.

As for the square inlet, it would only make the calculations simpler Otherwise, I am indeed considering it as 4 nozzles.

If 4-5 mm round nozzle is best, what pump would that be for?
Unread 03-11-2003, 02:09 PM   #421
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicozeg
Cough cough, and if you substract the four fillets at the central corners it will end up closer to 12

The four rectangles seems a good aproximation
No, I accounted for those (that's what took me so darn long to calculate!)
Unread 03-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #422
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

A small update.

The hydraulic equivalent to a 1 by 3.25 mm rectangular opening is: 1.53 mm (diameter). The closest imperial measurement is 1/16. There are, of course, 4 of these.

Now I can drill 4 * 1/16 holes in a PVC cap, and run a flow test, but off-hand, it's gonna be awfully small.

In the meantime, here's a render of the latest revision of the top (thanks again to Utabintarbo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (20.5 KB, 314 views)
Unread 03-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #423
nicozeg
Cooling Savant

You're wright, just realized that I considered the fillet radius at 1mm instead of 0.5mm

Anyway theres a very fast way of calculating circular areas; just consider them squares and multiply by Pi/4 (0.785)
nicozeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2003, 05:33 PM   #424
SysCrusher
Cooling Savant

Quote:
I don't think anymore than 4 is needed, because I've seen the thermals but why do you think so?
Because of jet slightly loosing it's velocity after it exits the nozzle though it is a slight difference. If your nit-picking for every last performance gain then the smallest gain counts too. With a larger flow/pump, the further the distance between the base plate and nozzle can be without hurting performance greatly.

Quote:

Well, what concerns me is to make sure that the jet isn't going to be sucked out to the side/outlet. As it stands, the opening (of a quarter of the area) is 3.25mm by 1 (or equivalent), and the outlet is 5mm by 1mm, twice. That means that my inlet is much smaller than the outlet, so the jet should work fine, even if I drop the height to 4mm.
I think It'll work fine. More than 5mm with our type of pumps we use will just kill the effect we're looking for and that 5mm is right on the edge of loosing performance.

Quote:

The jet has to hit the baseplate, but I'm kinda hoping that it'll pickup some heat from the center fin too.
It will pick up any heat in the center fin and it should hit the base unless the pump is so weak it won't push it.

Quote:

From the original flow analysis, only the bottom 1mm is moving at any significant speed: that bothers me, a bit.
I'm lost there. Have no idea what you mean.

Quote:

As for the square inlet, it would only make the calculations simpler Otherwise, I am indeed considering it as 4 nozzles.
That's how lazy I can be.

Quote:

If 4-5 mm round nozzle is best, what pump would that be for?
I did this for a hydorL30 pump. About 300G/6Ft. head and one foot of hose If I remember correctly. Going with a smaller nozzle can actually decrease performance. It has to do with the velocity and size/shape of the impingement. The pump can only produce so much velocity/pressure with a given size nozzle. Once you reach the highest velocity you can with a nozzle, going smaller won't produce any more and will just effect the size of the impingement area. Of course the bigger the better the pump, the smaller you can go until you see negative returns providing the pump heat isn't a "big" concern. I can draw it on ms paint to better explain it.
Unread 03-12-2003, 09:53 AM   #425
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

My pump is fairly powerfull: Little Giant 2-MDQ-SC (see PQ curve below). Max flow around 525 gph, max head 14.6 feet.

I understand what you mean about the nozzles: I recently (tried to) run the calcs for LiquidRulez here.

What I meant about the flow being at 1mm is just that: if you look at the first graph I posted (from Roscal's analysis), it shows that out of all the channels, most of the flow is concentrated at the bottom 1mm: the rest is almost stagnant. I'm kinda hoping that the new inlet geometry will kinda help this too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump spec.jpg (28.6 KB, 284 views)