Go Back   Pro/Forums > Site News and Blogs > Pro/Site News
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

Pro/Site News The News you see on the front page, but in the forums... Uhh or something like that.

Unread 03-02-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Default Joe Posts a review!!! OMG!

Hehehe, well about 1.5 years since I did my last Mobo review I got this one up. I just got the AOpen AX4GE Max mobo review posted! Delayed one month due to some real life struggles, but its all good and posted now.

Check it out, and Enjoy!
Get the hook up here

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
ItsSoLARGE
Cooling Savant

Nice review once again....
And dont take this the wrong way...
I love what happens at procooling but it just seems like anotehr mobo review was just adding to already done list.... especially one that isnt a spectacular watercooling dream mobo. But im not ungrateful. It was better than other reviews because it didnt just base the usefulness of a board on ocing options and things like that.
Unread 03-02-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

That was an excellent hands down review! I like the lack of tests; they don't really show much anymore, except if the memory bandwidth is significantly better or not.

What I'd like to see is a list of Intel chipsets out there, with release dates, and their relative performance against each other, but that's just because I haven't kept up with Intel mobos.

If Asus' rumored dual Athlon board ever comes out, I sure would like to see a review of that!
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 09:58 AM   #4
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k

If Asus' rumored dual Athlon board ever comes out, I sure would like to see a review of that!
Are you talking about this one http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...htm?m=a7m266-d that has been out for several months now or a different one?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Joe I thought that was a very good review; I also prefer to see a full list of the features rather than a lot of graphs that show me that the mobo works exactly like every other board with the same chipset. The onboard hardware monitoring/fan PWM is ****ing slick! You know that every motherboard's winbond ICs support that, and that Aopen is the only one that bothers to wire it all up and code an app for it. I have had a few motherboards that worked well with Alfredo's Speedfan app though.

A couple of questions about the review:

Can the onboard video work at the same time an AGP card is used to get dual display (like the ThunderK7)?

How is the quality of onboard video? Ok for 1600x1200 display?

I buy baseline mobos for overclocking, but I am now seeing that I have a need for a family/multimedia PC for things like general gaming/movie/music duties and also connecting the DV camcorder and making dvds of family stuff. This looks like a great board for that.

On the budget comparison, I think the Albatron mobo that is around $80 online is a better choice if you aren't wanting big features. I can't believe you quoted newegg prices. Dave is gonna kick you in the sac if we go back down there in march
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 10:37 AM   #6
Joe
The Pro/Life Support System

Yawn.. just woke up...

No Embeded video is off the AGP bus, so you can only use one at at time. ( I will add that in the revew after I have my Cereal with the Spooky-Fun marshmellows this morning)

I ran the onboard at 1280x1024 @85Hz, and it was good. Now the monitor I tested it on sucked... but it was no worse than my Gainward Ti4600 GS.

ProCooling archive curator and dusty skeleton.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2003, 10:49 AM   #7
cybrsamurai
Cooling Savant

Nice review, but is it still breakfast if it has spooky-fun marshmallows or does that turn it into desert?
Unread 03-02-2003, 03:11 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydee116
Are you talking about this one http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...htm?m=a7m266-d that has been out for several months now or a different one?
Ahh, I just figured out what your were refering to. The rumored FX one. Yeah don't think i can hold my breath long enough.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote