Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Snap Server / NAS / Storage Technical Goodies The Home for Snap Server Hacking, Storage and NAS info. And NAS / Snap Classifides

Unread 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Redux
Cooling Neophyte

Default make dd image under windows

Hello,
I need to make an image of my snap 2200 to upgrade the disks. The issue is that i only have access to a laptop that does not have PATA/IDE only Serial so i cannot directly attach the Snap drive with a 44 to 40 pin adapter. I do have a USB -> IDE adapter. The question is does any one know how to back up the image using the USB adapter under windows? There is a port of DD to Windows at this link and of course there are a lot of other low level raw cloning tools for windows like MS ImageX, DriveImage XML and HD Workbench. Any one have any ideas? Thanks
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Redux
Cooling Neophyte

Default Re: make dd image under windows

I have found this free tool Roadkil's Raw Copy which will let you copy a Snap drive from one Drive to another but not to an image
Unread 02-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Redux
Cooling Neophyte

Here is another app/port of DD to windows this one is much more sophisticated then the one i first mentioned above
Link
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
Redux
Cooling Neophyte

I have managed to create an image with the Forensic Acquisition Utilities version of DD. Saveral things are different when doing this on windows. First you need to determine what PHYSICALDRIVE number for the drive you want to clone is. I used WMI Object Browser which is part of WMITools to look up the drive number needed. If you have only 2 drives its likely that the snap drive is PHYSICALDRIVE1 where PHYSICALDRIVE0 is your win boot disk. The other difference is that the default count=25000 used in the wiki was insufficient so i used count=125000

Here are the commandsIi used
HD to IMG
dd if=\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 of=c:\snap.bin bs=1024 count=25000 conv=noerror --localwrt

IMG to HD
dd if=c:\snap.bin of=\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 --localwrt

I will post more when i have a bit more time.
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
blue68f100
Thermophile

Not really necessay if your running RAID1 Mirror. There is a live CD version of DD. I use it now and then for imagaing HD because it supports Network Drives. Once you boot you have to mount the drives then drop to the cmd line and only copy the 25-40meg of it. You should be able to use a USB to IDE adapter, too. I have one I guess I could test it but there are may mfg of these.

Instruction for using DD is well documented in the wiki, and may even be in the FAQ.

But any utility that supports RAW Copy will work. But most do not like being interupted, the reason cmd line utilites are needed.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Redux
Cooling Neophyte

The issue is my laptop is by no means a standard. Its actually not a laptop but an intel itanium portable reference board without an IDE connector and i don't have any SATA optical drives sitting around. The thing is a lot like a sun ultra 3 mobile worksation. My system is running windows server 2008 for IA64. Not many live cds i know of support my hardware let alone have drivers for the USB to IDE device i have.
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
blue68f100
Thermophile

If your upgrading the HD use the procedure in the FAQ's. If your drive config is single drives. Just make sure your original is in the master postion. Once the drive has been init, just copy the drive contents over to the new one. Then do the same thing with the other drive. Once completed just install the new drives, should be good to go. All you need to do this is time and terminal that will give you access to the admin page.

Link to SnapOS FAQ's http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13820
blue68f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Redux
Cooling Neophyte

Well i got it to work just fine going the image route with DD under windows so I am set now but thank you for your advice. If any one else is intrested in doing this under windows all you need to do is fallow the general outline I have in post 4.

Thanks all