Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Geek Bits > Hardware and Case Mod's
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Hardware and Case Mod's You Paint it, Cut it, Solder it, bend it, light it up, make it glow or anything like that, here is your forum.

Unread 08-20-2002, 07:44 PM   #1
imatation
Cooling Neophyte

Default How to spray an even coat of spray paint

Ok. I need the help of the pro cooling forums once again. This time on painting cases. It all started when i was grinding a hole in the top of my case for a water inlet, when the dremel carbide bit slipped right out of the hole and onto my cases black paint job. I went to the hardware store and picked up a can of rustoleum flat black spray paint. I decided to repaint the entire top because i knew it wouldnt exactly match the black of the case.
On my first attempt i lightly sanded the scratches on the case with some 400 sandpaper and painted directly over the existing paint. That didnt work at all, the paint barely stuck to the case and was very uneven. So i took all of the paint off of the top and sanded down to the metal. I put on one coat of primer and waited two hours and put on a coat of paint. It was still blotchy and uneven, and also seemed to be fuzzy, but i could wipe the fuzz stuff off with a cloth. So i sanded that coat smooth and put on another coat. This time instead of putting on one coat i decided to try putting on a bunch of really lite coats, waiting about 10 - 20 min in between. Again it came out fuzzy, and underneath the fuzz it was rough, this time it was somewhat the same shade. I wet sanded it with 600 till it was smooth (barely at all) but when i wiped off the water it was again uneaven. My question is, How do you put on an even coat of spray paint, and also what is the fuzzyness in the paintjob? I tried holding the can an even distance and all that, but nothing seems to work. Im not looking for a prize finish since my computer sits on top of my desk where i cant see the top, but i do want it to atleast look even. Any help is appreciated. thanks.
imatation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
Can O' Beans
Cooling Savant

First off, I'd ask what brand/kind of paint is it?

I've gone thru a bunch of brands/types of paints before I'd find one that was acceptable.

One very helpful thing is a flat test surface. Apply the primer you're using, then the paint & see how it comes out before applying it to case.
Can O' Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
gogo
Cooling Savant

There are lots of reasons why the paint may not have stuck initially. Incompatable paint, a thin layer of greese... it doesn't really matter now as you've gone to the metal.

I would go with at least 3 coats of primer.
make sure you clean with soap and water.
try to stick with the same type & brand of paint for all coats.
Check out other threads for techniques, i think a few months ago many of us wrote at detailed leangth.

As for the fuzzieness, what do you mean exactly?
Unread 08-21-2002, 11:06 PM   #4
gogo
Cooling Savant

what the ?!?! (painting problems)

Case Painting Help!!!!!!!!

These are just one's I know of, there's most likely more.
Unread 08-22-2002, 02:36 PM   #5
imatation
Cooling Neophyte

Ok, finally i got it right. I put on a few more coats, sanding in between with 400 and 600 sandpaper. Finally on my last try i tried putting on a really thick coat (thinking the paint mist was causing the fuzz) and tried to make it as even as possible. It came out almost perfect, eccept for some barely noticable splatter I am satisfied with it. The finish not very durable at all and will scratch really easy so im gonna buy some satin polyurathane and put a coat of two of that on there. Thanks for all your help and advice.
imatation is offline   Reply With Quote