Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

View Poll Results: Which block will perform better on a hi-flow 1/2" setup?
Sidewinder TC-4 39 66.10%
GeminiCool "high flow" 20 33.90%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 03-29-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Default Sidewinder TC-4 vs Geminicool spiral block

Quote:
The Sidewinder TC-4 is another excellent addition to the high performance "True" 1/2" blocks that we provide. The TC-4 block has a 1/2" Turbulator channel design which swirls the water inside the channels to provide extremely efficient heat transfer to the flowing water without sacraficing flowrate. Comes polished and utilizes and includes the 4-bolt hold-down hardware.
or the geminicool Hi-flow one
Quote:
High water volume Spiral Copper CPU cooler.For us in water cooled systems with a system flow rate above 240gph. The larger channel reduces backpressure for use with larger pumps. The cooler is mounted using nylon screws and fasteners. The fasters surface mount on the motherboard so it is not necessary to remove your main board to install this cooler. Spring washers are included to insure proper claming pressure. Comes with 3/8" hose barbs and possibly an option for 1/2" Includes all mounting hardware.
gonna order one of these..which one guys? which will perform better with my super hi-flow Eheim 1060 all comments appreciated!
ablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:39 PM   #2
ablaze
Cooling Savant

oh it'd be great if after you've voted to post and share your reason/logic for your choice..thanks!
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:56 PM   #3
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

No Maze3?
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 03:59 PM   #4
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Niether one, rather I would recomend MAZE 3 or Fixittt's Spir@l. Reasoning? I have seen zero review or compairisons on the TC-4s performance and quite honestly it looks like it would impact flow too adversly to reep the benefits of the turbulators. Perhaps time will tell and I'll be prooved wrong, but regardless I would not purchase this block at this time. The geminicool? Ot uses 1/8" NPT fittings with a 3/8" barb. This will certianly have a severe impact on flow and defeats the whole reasoning behind creating deeper channels to reduce back pressure. It sure looks perdy, but I am leary about it's performance and impact on flow.
but i'll never be top of the line again
...i'd rather be nothing...
decodeddiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:05 PM   #5
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

I won't buy a block that doesn't accept 3/8" NPT threaded fittings. At this time, that only leaves #rotor as a potential manufacturer of blocks for pH
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:06 PM   #6
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
No Maze3?
nah..looks too pretty to me..too pretty to be taken seriously..like a really hot chick hehe

anyway, yeah. thanks for all the opinions guys. I may not reply, but I'll be sure to take note of everyone's opinions in making my choice thanks!
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:09 PM   #7
Kevin
Slacking more than your weird uncle

Too pretty for a Maze3?! That second block is more of a hotty than the Maze3 . I like the big channels of the first one...
-Kev
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:09 PM   #8
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by decodeddiesel
Niether one, rather I would recomend MAZE 3 or Fixittt's Spir@l. Reasoning? I have seen zero review or compairisons on the TC-4s performance and quite honestly it looks like it would impact flow too adversly to reep the benefits of the turbulators. Perhaps time will tell and I'll be prooved wrong, but regardless I would not purchase this block at this time. The geminicool? Ot uses 1/8" NPT fittings with a 3/8" barb. This will certianly have a severe impact on flow and defeats the whole reasoning behind creating deeper channels to reduce back pressure. It sure looks perdy, but I am leary about it's performance and impact on flow.
the geminicool had a really solid review at overclockers.com .. you must've read that right..

and the tc-4..well..not a review in sight..but danny at dtek says performance is right up there with the big guys..well..
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:10 PM   #9
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
Too pretty for a Maze3?! That second block is more of a hotty than the Maze3 . I like the big channels of the first one...
-Kev
:laugh:

can somebody tell me which is better..and all copper block like the sidewinder..or an lexan/acrylic topped one like the maze3 and the geminicool and the spir@ls..
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:10 PM   #10
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

The Maze3 is a beautiful block, but my money is on it having some serious thought and prototyping behind it as well. The geminicool block did well with hoot's testing and little fittings, but that was with a lot of pressure behind the water and not a normal magdrive type pump.

Put a standard 1/2" hose barb on it after drilling it out for lower pressure drop and it will spill over to multiple channels. That's no good. The geminicool looks like the same deal as the OCH Z4: A well milled block for 3/8" setups but NOT good for 1/2". And if the blocks are all going to be 3/8", then I would look also at the Swiftech.
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #11
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:
The Maze3 is a beautiful block, but my money is on it having some serious thought and prototyping behind it as well. The geminicool block did well with hoot's testing and little fittings, but that was with a lot of pressure behind the water and not a normal magdrive type pump.

Put a standard 1/2" hose barb on it after drilling it out for lower pressure drop and it will spill over to multiple channels. That's no good. The geminicool looks like the same deal as the OCH Z4: A well milled block for 3/8" setups but NOT good for 1/2". And if the blocks are all going to be 3/8", then I would look also at the Swiftech.
well i've decided to go for the Eheim 1060..and thats probably gonna give me more flow than I need..together with a 1/2" setup..shouldn't that give more than enough flow for the geminicool? or the TC-4..mm..confused I am
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #12
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
-Kev
No way! The maze3 pic is my desktop wallpaper it looks so sweet!
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:13 PM   #13
Cyco-Dude
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by decodeddiesel
Niether one, rather I would recomend MAZE 3 or Fixittt's Spir@l. Reasoning? I have seen zero review or compairisons on the TC-4s performance...
...and you've seen reviews or comparison's of the Maze3 or Fixit's Spir@l? by all means, post some links................................
Cyco-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:14 PM   #14
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:

No way! The maze3 pic is my desktop wallpaper it looks so sweet!
issit just me or does the maze3 look horribly SHALLOW?? doesn't look like it'll perform very well to me..
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:15 PM   #15
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Quote:
Originally posted by ablaze

well i've decided to go for the Eheim 1060..and thats probably gonna give me more flow than I need..together with a 1/2" setup..shouldn't that give more than enough flow for the geminicool? or the TC-4..mm..confused I am
You should get acceptable flowrates, but you would get acceptable flow rates with pretty much any block and the 1060. You said you wanted a high flow system, and just because they say the block is high flow doesn't actually make it so
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:15 PM   #16
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude

...and you've seen reviews or comparison's of the Maze3 or Fixit's Spir@l? by all means, post some links................................
thats a good one there've been NO REVIEWS whatsoever of the maze3 and yet people are already hell-bent on it being the next best WB..
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:18 PM   #17
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:

You should get acceptable flowrates, but you would get acceptable flow rates with pretty much any block and the 1060. You said you wanted a high flow system, and just because they say the block is high flow doesn't actually make it so
well its supposed to perform better with higher flow rates..I figured if their low-flow block performs at up to 10F lower (according the www.geminicool.com) at "normal" flow rates..the hi-flow model must perform best with high flows..and the 1060's as high as it gets right
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:19 PM   #18
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

The poll starter initially stated they were looking for a high flow block. Without reviews, one can still look at channels and draw some conclusions about flow rates through the block.

Especially since I doubt anyone on this forum (except maybe fixxitt) has either a TC-4 or a geminicool either.
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:20 PM   #19
ablaze
Cooling Savant

yeah thats me: poll starter
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:48 PM   #20
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyco-Dude

As a matter of fact I have seen numerous reviews of the Spir@l, although I do not have the URL of one handy ATM I'm sure if you google it you will find one also. As to the MAZE 3, to be honest I implicitly trust Dangerden. They would not release something without a shit load of research, experimentation, and design. You are probably seeing MAZE 3.5 or 3.6 as the released item. Quite honestly I trust Dangerden for one, but more so I've studied fluid dynamics during my college years and watercooled long enough to reconize a good design when I see one. The MAZE 3 is going to rock, and you can quote me on that.
Unread 03-29-2002, 04:58 PM   #21
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

HEHEHEHEHE that pic of the gemini block........... that was taken on MY POOL Table.

I got some other interesting pics to show U guys when I get home
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2002, 05:06 PM   #22
decodeddiesel
Cooling Savant

You've got a pool table??? Fix you SUCK
Unread 03-29-2002, 05:09 PM   #23
ablaze
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Fixittt
HEHEHEHEHE that pic of the gemini block........... that was taken on MY POOL Table.

I got some other interesting pics to show U guys when I get home
thats YOUR gemini fixitt? so how's it compare to your spir@l?
Unread 03-29-2002, 05:43 PM   #24
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

never tested it yet.

Its just sitting here on my desk

No Time!
Unread 03-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #25
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

Ok made a new thread for the photo shoot.