Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 11-05-2002, 03:42 PM   #251
Dix Dogfight
Cooling Savant

Or it could be something else!!!!

/ Wierd mode ON/
If you hadn't said it was a piece of vinyl tube. I would have guessed it to be a screenshot from the motionpicture Ghostbusters. It looks like a ghost trapped inside some kind of forcefield(with a little imagination). If you say you are in the picture. I can only deduct that you (BB2K) then must be the ghost and therefore you are inside the tube IN MY COMPUTER!!!!!!!
Are't firewalls supposed protect against all evil?????
/ Wierd mode OFF/

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Setup:
Dual Duron 1100 | Voodoo 3 2000 | Addtronics W8500(WTX) | Eheim 1250
| Car radiator | 2 Innovatech WB |
Dix Dogfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 04:18 PM   #252
myv65
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Reynolds calc?

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
Reynolds calculation

v=14.2 m/s
a=0.001 m
b=0.005 m
A=0.000005 m^2
P(or C)=0.031 m

d'=0.00167 by 8 channels= .0134

So Reynolds = 14.2 * .0134 / 8.9*10-4

= 107 ?

(didn't I say I needed help )
Sorry Ben, but it's time to get yourself a decent fluids text. You are mixing "hydraulic diameter" and "characteristic dimension". A hydraulic diameter applies to calculating an equivalent diameter for a non-circular flow pathway. It's really useful when working with channels, which are typically rectangular or v-shaped (or something else comprised of straight sides). Before you try calculating and applying a Reynolds number, ya really ought to know what it represents (and why one would bother to calculate it).

Once you do that, you'll find that pressure drop across an orifice is not something that's analytically defined. There are general relationships that use coefficients dependent upon the shape of the orifice. The relationships are based on classical physics while the coefficients are the "as measured fudge factors" determined through careful lab experimentation over the years. You're really, really putting the horse ahead of the cart right now. You can run all the "calcs" you wish, but until you get the understanding behind them they are of little value.

Honestly you will be hard pressed to find existing data to determine how your intended entrance will perform with your pump (and the rest of your system). You can take pot shots at it, but the only way to be confident that you're even within +/- 20% is to build and measure. Even then, you'll only be just starting to find out what is really "best".

Find out more about orifice calcs, pressure drops, and Reynolds numbers. Rough out where you think you need to be (range of +/- 50%). Start prototyping some stuff to see where you really are.
myv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 04:04 PM   #253
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

All right. It turns out that Kryotherm has this calculation already, and that the dynamic viscosity (which is labelled kinematic viscosity) of water at 20 deg C = 1.006 E-6. At 30, it's .805 E-6 .

The thermal conductivity W/(m*K):
Water@20: 0.599
Water@30: 0.618

That's for a flow rate of 1 m^3/hr (264.2 U.S. gallons/hour).

Reynolds comes out at 15279, for a heatsink (cooled by water at 20 deg C), where the "forcer mounting" (whatever that is) is set to "on the top of the heat exchanger". The other option is too fuzzy, I'll have to read the help file. Heatsink is roughly the area of the first set of fins, before fin set#2, so fin width = 1.5 mm, channel width (I averaged between 1.0 and 2.0) to 1.5, length = 5 (from radius = 2.5 mm). Copper Thermal conductivity adjusted to 391 W/(m*K).

The resulting "Heat Exchanger thermal resistance" (K/W) = 0.420 .

Those are preliminary numbers. I'm just playing with Kryotesc today.
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 05:11 PM   #254
myv65
Cooling Savant

Might want to verify the units on viscosity. Using units of N-s/m^2, my tables show 1080*10E-6 at 290K and 959*10E-6 at 295K. As Alchemy noted, my first value should have read 8.9*10E-4 at 25°C. If you're using the same units, it sounds like you are off by a factor of 10. If you're wondering about the "10E-6" vs "10E-4" or the "K" vs "°C", it's the difference between a table in one book (my heat transfer text) and a graph in another (fluids text).
Unread 11-06-2002, 05:34 PM   #255
Les
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by myv65
If you're using the same units, it sounds like you are off by a factor of 10.
My only checks on the Kryotherm numbers suggest they are correct. eg
http://www.coolingzone.com/Content/D...iz/default.htm
However .......
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 06:07 PM   #256
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Thanks Les.

The above link suggests that the "Dynamic Viscosity" of water at 21.11 deg C is 980 E-6 kg/ms .

KryoTesc shows this:
(the unit is fuzzy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water properties.jpg (36.8 KB, 404 views)
Unread 11-06-2002, 06:33 PM   #257
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Now if I can only get Windows 2000 Pro to open the Russian help file...

[edit]
Got it. I added "Cyrillic" to "Regional settings".

Last edited by bigben2k; 11-06-2002 at 06:54 PM.
Unread 11-06-2002, 07:27 PM   #258
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

[edit]
rambling removed
[/edit]

Last edited by bigben2k; 11-06-2002 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 11-06-2002, 07:47 PM   #259
Alchemy
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Thanks Les.

The above link suggests that the "Dynamic Viscosity" of water at 21.11 deg C is 980 E-6 kg/ms .

KryoTesc shows this:
(the unit is fuzzy)
Well, that dynamic viscosity is alright.

What do you mean "the unit is fuzzy"?

I can tell that those kinematic viscosity measurements don't coincide with either kinematic or dynamic viscosity units, if you didn't know that already.

I'm with myv65. We've given you our best guesses as to how this device might pan out, but aside from extensive computational modeling, you're not going to learn much more through theory.

I still think the basic idea of micro-channels is inferior to high-flow, low pressure drop design, but I would be happily surprised if you proved me wrong.

Alchemy
Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:09 PM   #260
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Thanks, but I'm not done yet.

I want to try using Kryotherm, and seperate the different rings, where the number of fins changes i.e. within radius #1, 4 fins, within radius #2, 8 fins, within radius #3, 16 fins, then equate each one with a square heatsink out of kryotherm.

Besides, I haven't figured out the entrance area yet...

The Kryotherm unit appears to be blocked out (bad programming?). One really can't tell what "10-6 *m/s" really means.

Note: this isn't relevant. Kryotherm displays this value, it's not a variable that can be changed.

Last edited by bigben2k; 11-06-2002 at 08:16 PM.
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:22 PM   #261
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Thanks Les.

KryoTesc shows this:
(the unit is fuzzy)
Waterloo shows this, 9.5131E-4 kg/m.s for the dynamic viscosity of water at 21.11C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterloo.jpg (69.2 KB, 380 views)
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 08:29 PM   #262
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

9.5131E-4 kg/m.s is 951.31 E-6 kg/m.s .

Thanks G_F.
Unread 11-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #263
myv65
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by gone_fishin
Waterloo shows this, 9.5131E-4 kg/m.s for the dynamic viscosity of water at 21.11C.
This is why I said you might want to check the units (and why I listed the units I use). Since F = m * a, Newtons = grams (or kg) * m/s^2. If you replace N in my units above with kg-m/s^2, the resulting units will be kg/m-s. Just realize that when you plug all the units into an equation, such as for Reynolds number, you must be certain that all unit conversions are done.
Unread 11-06-2002, 11:40 PM   #264
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Thanks for the pointer Dave!

(that's what I figured, but I removed my ramblings!).

On to the numbers...
Unread 11-07-2002, 10:03 AM   #265
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's a hand drawing of the bottom turbulator:

It's a 1 mm drill bit hole, every 2 mm, 0.5 mm deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbulator bottom 1.jpg (24.8 KB, 370 views)
Unread 11-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #266
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Here's another drawing of the cross-section:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radius cross-section.jpg (25.2 KB, 382 views)
Unread 11-12-2002, 02:44 PM   #267
Ion
Cooling Neophyte

Don't we see the main problem with cpu cooling here AGAIN?
We have limited space around our cpu, so we can't put the radiator directly on it, instead we use water as a transfering medium to transfer the heat from the cpu to the big radiator (simplified and not counting on all factors).
But now we're even having troubles transfering the heat from the center of the waterblock to the rest of it in order to use contact area in a good way.
Do you get my point? bigben2k had a rather nice design, but not good enough right where it counts. As I see it, the best design to use in the middle of the chip would be fins in a row, like the heatsinks om grapic cards memory. And that would spoil the whole radius idea. (And would probably be very hard to manufacture with small enough fins)
The main goal must be this: To as fast as possible transfer all heat from the center of the block, to a bigger surface. The rest of the block, or later, the radiator.
And this obviously can't be done much better with copper than we are already doing.

We must use heatpipes!

(don't you think?)
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2002, 03:17 PM   #268
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

Well, unless you're trying to pitch a new product, I disagree. In fact I disagree anyways! If you're going to go with heatpipes, you might as well go with phase change cooling, and that's a whole different ballgame.

In order to "as fast as possible transfer all heat from the center of the block, to a bigger surface" is accomplished with fins. Copper is a limitation, but the only affordable solution.

The fin pattern may be optimal in a straight-through design, but that assumes an even heat source. This fin pattern has the same characteristics as a straight one, with one fundamental difference: the coolant speed is much higher in the center, where most of the heat originates. Optimal flow, for an optimal fin pattern.

Update: 3/16 is the nozzle of choice, for the moment. Still running the thermal calculations (spent a weekend with a cold).

Utabintarbo and I are going over minor details for the block, mount and seperating res. I've spec'ed out most parts, and will start purchasing soon. Polycarbonate top.

In the mean time, here's an example of Utabintarbo's excellent work: an AMD Athlon, rendered with all the pins!
Attached Images
File Type: gif amd duron render.gif (27.6 KB, 338 views)
Unread 11-12-2002, 03:51 PM   #269
Albigger
Cooling Savant

whoah! awesome rendering job there. i HAVE to ask though - why would you need the backside of a cpu modeled in 3D like that?

anyway - can't wait to see your design as a final product. I know you've put a lot of work into it.

So you are going to use a 3/16" nozzle to increase water velocity right over the center?
Albigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2002, 03:55 PM   #270
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

3/16 is in the works, but that'll be about the size of it, yeah.

Flow rate will still be in excess of 250 gph.

As for the render, no the pins aren't necessary: that's a tribute to Utabintarbo (too much time on your hands, buddy?).
Unread 11-12-2002, 03:59 PM   #271
Yo-DUH_87
Cooling Savant

Quote:
As for the render, no the pins aren't necessary: that's a tribute to Utabintarbo (too much time on your hands, buddy?).
Ditto lol

I would love to have that much time, but, some people like have these anoying things called lives (darn!)...

If it works, fix it until it's broke!
Then, after it's broke, add duct tape!

Affordable webhosting!
Yo-DUH_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2002, 07:24 PM   #272
Albigger
Cooling Savant

well, i guess it wouldn't take all that much time, just extrude a small cylinder and then pattern it X times (if you know the pin spacing)

regardless...its a nice job!
Unread 11-12-2002, 08:08 PM   #273
gone_fishin
Cooling Savant

Quote:
3/16 is in the works, but that'll be about the size of it, yeah.

Flow rate will still be in excess of 250 gph.

250gph through a 3/16" hole?
gone_fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2002, 09:06 PM   #274
Albigger
Cooling Savant

Holy Sh**!! If you really are pushing 250 gph through a 3/16" diameter hole, your water velocity is about 15 m/s coming out of that nozzle (by my calculations - read: could contain errors)

doing a rough calculation of my block, i would have roughly 3 m/s coming through my inlet

so how much of an improvement does higher water velocity yeild in terms of ability to remove heat??
Unread 11-13-2002, 07:59 AM   #275
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Albigger
whoah! awesome rendering job there. i HAVE to ask though - why would you need the backside of a cpu modeled in 3D like that?

Well, I was learning a new CAD package, I had the dim's, and I DO have too much time on my hands!

Besides, I like to be accurate! Now I need to add the ZIF lever to the socket....

Bob