Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 07-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
imbabawu
Cooling Neophyte

Default WEI HI-END Pure Copper 1/2" Water-Block, test with STORM G4!!

The WEI HI-END Pure Copper 1/2" Water-Block is our new advanced water block, I have disappeared for a long period to prepare this test because the procooling still have not accepeted our apply, so I decided to do it by myself.

The base is 5n 99% pure oxygen free copper polished to mirror finish manually with 155 copper pins, and the copper imports from Germany. The base, housing and barbs soldered together. 1/2" barbs, compatible with socket 478, socket 775, socket 603-604, socket 462, socket 754, socket 939, socket 940.

here are some pictures
p1
p2
p3
p4
p5
p6

****************TEST*****************
e1 e2 e3 e4 e5 e6 e7

test system:

water-block: WEI HI-END Pure Copper 1/2" Water-Block
Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance Universal Water-block
Processor: Intel P4 540E LGA75 @3.2G 1.39V
Motherboards: ASUS P5P800
Video Card: GF6600GT
Memory: 512mb*2
Power Supply: blue storm 500w
Operating System: WIN XP SP2
pump: Swiftech MCP655
Radiator: custom-made 4*12CM fan radiator
thermometers: Aerocool Gatewatch
Coolant: 30L water

Testing Methods:

1.clean the blocks with Brasso metal polish
2.OCCT is run at high priority, the inlet water and cpu temperatures are recorded at 30 second intervals for 10 minutes. The MCP655's flow rate is 5. (I dont have a flowmeter, so i use MCP655 to control the flow rate)
3.run occt at high priority for abot 30 minutes, change the MCP655's flowrate from 1 to 5 and record the inlet water and cpu temperatures at 5 minutes intervals
4.mount another block, allow the system to cool down for 30 minute and get another 30L water.
5.repeat method 1-3.

(all tempratures are monitored by Aerocool Gatewatch not software)

firstly is the G4

the test started at 19.2 C ambient temprature, the inlet water was 17.4 C and the initial cup temprature was 20.6 C.

this figure refers to method 2, the G4 is doing a amazing job on my system as well

and this one is the relationship between waterblock performance and flow rate

g41 g42 g43 g44

now it is our WEI

started at 19.4 C ambient temprature, the inlet water was 17.6 C and the initial cup temprature was 20.3 C.

from these figures, these two blocks' performance are very close, so we need some comparisons

wei1 wei2 wei3 wei4 wei5

from these two figures, we can find the data are very similar and close, but WEI is just a little bit better than G4.

from this figure, it shows that the WEI is very stable, although the flowrate level is 1, it still keeps the cpu at a relatively low temprature and the delta T does not change a lot as well. However, the performance of G4 affected by flowrate a lot, the difference between the highest and lowest temprature is 2.3 C and the delta T increases with flowrate obviously.

in conclusion, from my personal test, our WEI block is at the same level as G4, and just a little bit better than G4 under 1200 LPH water flow, but from the last figure, we can imagine if with a much higer flowrate, the result could be different. In short,the WEI is suitable for most kinds of pump, the G4 is only for those high performance pump, so who is the big winner? :shrug:
imbabawu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Where can I get one to test?
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
Cathar
Thermophile

Am I the only one who considers it highly inappropriate for people who are waterblock manufacturers posting their own internal competitive test data in order to promote sales, and to draw conclusions against products they are competing against? In all my history on various forums, I have yet to see that ever be done, until now of course.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
BRiT
Cooling Neophyte

A few questions...

When you say G4 are you using Cathar's original G4 or did you obtain a Swiftech G4? As I understand it, the Swiftech G4 has some tweaks implemented to improve its performance over the original.

Was any mounting/testing/unmounting/remounting/retesting cycles performed for each block to eliminate possible bad mounts?

How was the Aerocool Gatewatch calibrated? Do the two different temp-probs measure the same temperature for the same medium (ie: potential skews between probe 1 and probe 2)?

What fans were used and what voltages were they run at?

From quick glances it looks like it would have a dramatic effect on flow rates... How restrictive is that radiator? How does it compare to the more common 2x120 or 3x120 rads?

Thanks...
Unread 07-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #5
BRiT
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathar
Am I the only one who considers it highly inappropriate for people who are waterblock manufacturers posting their own internal competitive test data in order to promote sales, and to draw conclusions against products they are competing against? In all my history on various forums, I have yet to see that ever be done, until now of course.
I too find it rather dubious, untrustworthy, and inappropriate to see this behavior.

It's not the first time I've seen it happen either. I think it happened on here or XS within the past 5 months. My memory faulters...
Unread 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #6
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
I seem to remember at least one instance. Had to do with a block that I have never seen since. Was a soldered together channel block claiming to beat all. But anyway it is probably not in their best intrest to do such, especially at ProCooling of all places. I want one to test myself with my test bench.
Unread 07-29-2005, 11:03 PM   #7
wasserkool
Cooling Neophyte

don't worry guys..alphacool's Nexxxos XP will rape what piece of copper there
wasserkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserkool
don't worry guys..alphacool's Nexxxos XP will rape what piece of copper there
I think that is already known. The question is by how much. The highest performance is not everyone's agenda.
Unread 07-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
Etacovda
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbabawu
Testing Methods:
1.clean the blocks with Brasso metal polish
i saw this, then stopped reading

aerocool gatewatch? what accuracy do they have? their website says nothing at immediate glance (www.aerocool.us)

Last edited by Etacovda; 07-29-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Etacovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
imbabawu
Cooling Neophyte

there are some reviews for the aerocool gatewatch, if u ar saying the accuracy, both of those blocks were monitored by it; the whole test were repeated 3 times and the Swiftech g4's test were repeated 4 times; 5n 99% pure oxygen free copper's price u can easily find out and u can check how many blocks ar using this copper. when u ar talking about the price, i want to say if u let me to make a g4, i can keep it within $50 AU dollars, and how many of u will use a sandpaper spend half hour to polish the base to mirror finish? and how much will u charge that?

i posted this test on both OCAU and this site is because i am very confident of this block, i do not want all of u believe my personal test as i said before, i just want to attract some big people's attention and help me to do a test, such as pHaestus. i have applied a test for 2 or 3 months, but i am still waiting, and everyone tell me they have no problem to contact with pHaestus, so wat is the problem!?

and when mention the big person, i am so disappointed with "Cathar", i asked for help before but he just repeats that my test is dubious, i am a manufacturer. is that because i am comparing with ur block? if u want to prove my test is improbable and ur block is still the best why u dont help me to apply a test? ar u afraid? we adored u before, because u were the goal that we were striving toward, but not any more.
Unread 07-30-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
iakovl
Cooling Neophyte

imbabawu
the block looks good
but how does it look inside?

i think u should send one to some one in this site that can realy test it and compare to other blocks
iakovl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 03:04 AM   #12
Cathar
Thermophile

imbabawu. Your post at OCAU, which is basically what was the content of your post here, was referred to the OCAU head moderator for independent assessment (completely outside of my control) on the basis that it crossed the line with respect to manufacturer independence. The issue with your post there, and here as well, is that it is a non-independent marketing comparison with the purpose to promote more sales for yourself, and doing so by using data that you have generated.

Everytime any manufacturer has done this, they have gotten roasted, and you are no exception.

Do not make this out like I am the one who is doing you wrong. I merely stated that you have crossed the line with respect to manufacturer etiquette on public forums. The last thing forum members want is manufacturers slagging each other off in public because they are all making claims that their product is better than a competing product, and that is exactly what you are doing. If you compared your block to a Danger Den TDX at OCAU, I would have referred your post to the senior moderator there as well.

I am not alone though in my opinion. Of the senior moderators at OCAU, 3 have already expressed their disapproval of your post, and have stated that it contravenes acceptable manufacturer etiquette. That's not me. That's 3 independent forum moderators. Final judgement by the head moderator is still being waited on.

This is not about me. Others here in this thread have all said the same thing that I said at OCAU. This is about your on-line behavior. Accept it.
Unread 07-30-2005, 07:51 AM   #13
petfoodonly
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbabawu
The WEI HI-END Pure Copper 1/2" Water-Block is our new advanced water block, I have disappeared for a long period to prepare this test because the procooling still have not accepeted our apply, so I decided to do it by myself.

I really think people need to give this guy a break. I said the same thing on OCAU. I agree it's dodgy reveiwing your own product, but clearly he's trying to find someone else to and being refused.

If you're going to bag him do a review of the block first.

I would look at cathar, but he'd be faced with the opposite problem.
petfoodonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #14
gazorp
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
imbabawu. Your post at OCAU, which is basically what was the content of your post here, was referred to the OCAU head moderator for independent assessment (completely outside of my control) on the basis that it crossed the line with respect to manufacturer independence. The issue with your post there, and here as well, is that it is a non-independent marketing comparison with the purpose to promote more sales for yourself, and doing so by using data that you have generated.

Everytime any manufacturer has done this, they have gotten roasted, and you are no exception.

Do not make this out like I am the one who is doing you wrong. I merely stated that you have crossed the line with respect to manufacturer etiquette on public forums. The last thing forum members want is manufacturers slagging each other off in public because they are all making claims that their product is better than a competing product, and that is exactly what you are doing. If you compared your block to a Danger Den TDX at OCAU, I would have referred your post to the senior moderator there as well.

I am not alone though in my opinion. Of the senior moderators at OCAU, 3 have already expressed their disapproval of your post, and have stated that it contravenes acceptable manufacturer etiquette. That's not me. That's 3 independent forum moderators. Final judgement by the head moderator is still being waited on.

This is not about me. Others here in this thread have all said the same thing that I said at OCAU. This is about your on-line behavior. Accept it.
You should be honored that he considers your design the ultimate comparison milestone
gazorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 11:00 PM   #15
wasserkool
Cooling Neophyte

wow...smart manufacturer indeed..use brasso metal polish to clean? thanks for filling all the microscopic ridges with HEAT INSULATOR and hence castrating other manufacturer's performance!
wasserkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 12:59 AM   #16
imbabawu
Cooling Neophyte

if u think my purpose is to promote more sales, it is wrong again. i posted the test on OCAU because some of them PM me an want me to do a test if pHaestus cant. i just have 2 blocks right now, these two ar not for sale, one is for me and another one i still want to keep it for pHaestus's test if he can do it, OCAU's javascripterror has asked for a block for about 1 month, but he still need to wait. Actually i want to sell it after procooling's test, and our productivity is very low.

i have done everything i can do, if u guys want to negate my test, just help me to contact pHaestus to do a test instead of sitting here and saying all these things.
Unread 07-31-2005, 07:17 AM   #17
GlassMan
Cooling Neophyte

Since I run my computers 24/7 and it taskes 20 minutes to reach full temp on air, a 10min test for a water cooling loop tells me absolutely nothing.
GlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 08:05 AM   #18
Long Haired Git
Cooling Savant

Looks like an impressive block. I look forward to an independent review. The review here: http://www.systemcooling.com/swiftech_storm-01.html
is technically very good. See if they'll review this block too.

Personally, I love the round shape. :-D
"Securing an environment of Windows platforms from abuse - external or internal - is akin to trying to install sprinklers in a fireworks factory where smoking on the job is permitted." (Prof. Gene Spafford)
My Rig, in all its glory, can be seen best here
AMD XP1600 @ 1530 Mhz | Soyo Dragon + | 256 Mb PC2700 DDRAM | 2 x 40 Gb 7200rpm in Raid-0 | Maze 2, eheim 1250, dual heater cores! | Full specifications (PCDB)

Long Haired Git is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 09:39 AM   #19
bobkoure
Cooling Savant

All issues of etiquette aside, if you want to show pictures of the bottom of a block, demonstrating how flat it is, show a reflection of graph paper.
There have been at least a few blocks reviewed over the years that, although mirror smooth on the bottom, were very un-flat - which should be shown as some of the graph lines being un-straight.
Not that having what appear to be straight lines prove adequate flatness, but it at least shows some flatness.
In the same vein - why brasso? To make 'em shine - or does it actually improve heat transfer? I had thought that it would actually hurt but am prepared to be convinced otherwise...
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 09:49 AM   #20
imbabawu
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassMan
Since I run my computers 24/7 and it taskes 20 minutes to reach full temp on air, a 10min test for a water cooling loop tells me absolutely nothing.
before u say this, read the test first

Long Haired Git,
do they accept personal test?
Unread 07-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #21
Cathar
Thermophile

Okay, I'll have to butt in again. Why I really don't like about this, again, is that the tone of the opening post and subsequent posts are immediately attacking towards me/Swiftech. The post is made as if to force me to respond, but in doing so it seems that there is nothing that I can say which cannot be construed as being in bad blood, and therein lies the exact problem with some manufacturer posting their own results in comparison with another manufacturer's active block. It seems like I can't say anything without appearing churlish because of the position that the whole scenario puts me in. Despite this, there are very valid questions that I have, so I'll present them anyway.

In the following two pictures, what is the red wire coming out from under the waterblock (highlighted by the pink circle)? Where are the missing opposing mounting springs and nuts (highlighted in red)? Were those springs/bolts used at all? I ask because it seems odd to me that they're missing in both pictures.

I notice too that the Swiftech mounting springs/bolts are used for both blocks, this despite that the Swiftech mounting springs and capped-nut are tensioned correctly for the Storm's mounting bracket height. They can't be used on a block of differing bracket height without altering the mounting pressure (either more or less).

Swiftech Storm

WEI Block

Regarding the reported temperatures. We are presented with line graphs of CPU temperature with both appearing to cap out at around 25C or so, but we are also presented with pictures of the SpeedFan temperature graphs here:

Swiftech Storm

WEI Block

My question here is that in the graph for the Storm block, despite it being horriby noisy, it seems to be averaging out at around 27C, which is 2C higher than presented in the line graph. In the WEI block's Speedfan temperature graph, it seems to be averaging out at around 28C, which is 3C higher than what gets presented in the line graph. i.e. by looking at the speedfan temperature graphs alone, one would come to a very different conclusion to that arrived from the line graphs that we are presented with.

So how were these figures of ~25C obtained in the line graphs? Were these figures obtained by an external diode? If so, where was that diode placed? Pictures?

No doubt, my statements will yet again be dismissed as merely being someone who has a vested interest in this, and as someone who has something to fear. Again, that is not my fault though, that is the exact issue that I have with these types of manufacturer vs manufacturer posts. It puts the opposing camp into a position that no matter what they say, their opinions can be attacked as "sour grapes" or whatever. I'll just present my views though and leave it to the forum members to assess. This is exactly why independent reviewers are needed.

Last edited by Cathar; 07-31-2005 at 04:32 PM.
Unread 07-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #22
ricecrispi
Cooling Savant

Man did this guy make a mistake, several to be correct.

Your attempt is brave but has tons of flaws and glaring mistakes that are cardinal sins in WCing. Nobody can take those results seriously. Come on, the mounting!! The temp graph is horrible with 5-10 degrees deviations in a span of a minute!!

The only way you can redeem yourself and your product is to send it out to Jaydee or pH to test it. They use very strict procedures and a proper setup that can accurate compare the G4 and your block. Look at the reviews pH has done and see that they are extremely thorough.

Cathar should have everyright to be upset. Don't take it the wrong way, we all get upset when a comparision is done with a bad half ass testing setup.

BTW: You can't be serious claiming you aren't on this forum to promote your block by posting pics, performing your own test and claiming it's better than G4 with your own results. I don't know about you guys but where I'm from this is called the HUSTLE. To bad you called out the wrong person.

Some call Bill so he can have a laugh.

Last edited by ricecrispi; 07-31-2005 at 06:04 PM.
ricecrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 06:04 PM   #23
killernoodle
Thermophile

Lol, I just love it when people take pics of their monitor. How can a computer enthusiast exist without knowing the many uses of the print screen button?
Unread 07-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #24
Moto7451
Cooling Neophyte

As said before, manufacturer benchmarks aren't worth much. See if overclockers.com will do a test. Also don't use any chemical polishing agents. Lapping is not done for the shine first & foremost, its done to make sure the base is flat & that the TIM can set with the thinnest layer possible. Chemical polishing agents fill the pits with thermal insulator as said before. That alone makes both blocks underperform.

Loop 1: D5 Pump • Bonneville w/ AC Heater Core • Swiftech MCW6002 • Gemini Tsunami VGA block • Gemini Tsunami S478 block (cold side chiller block)

110W 16v TEC @ 60W 12v

Loop 2: PC Watercooling Shop 12v Water Pump • PCWCS 80.2 Rad • Gemini Tsunami (hot side chiller block)
Moto7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2005, 06:39 PM   #25
petfoodonly
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricecrispi
The only way you can redeem yourself and your product is to send it out to Jaydee or pH to test it.

OMG

He is TRYING. Everyone (including imbabawu) agrees that this is largly pointless without someone more objective testing the block.

He said that he has a block sitting there waiting for pH to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7451
Chemical polishing agents fill the pits with thermal insulator as said before. That alone makes both blocks underperform.
And on an aside, it's quite possible to clean blocks after polishing them.
petfoodonly is offline   Reply With Quote