Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 05-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #1
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Default Post your ridiculous wc marketing here!

It is no surprise that heatsinks and water cooling gear sometimes is advertised with claims that stretch plausibility. For instance I have had a few things to say about Thermaltake's C/W values in the past.

Anyway, the worst example of this I have seen in a while was brought to my attention today:

http://www.sharkacomputers.com/neinxlowprhi1.html

"The X-Flow achieves maximum performance due to a new and revolutionary flow guidance design within the interior of its compact dimensions. A unique turbulence principle makes optimal utilization of the cooling agent possible without cross-section contraction. Therefore, this water block does not create any back pressure nor stress the water pump.

The crosswise arranged current profile inside X-Flow produces such an enormous amount of turbulence that the radiator can be preseverd from overworking to keep the cooling agent cool.

This special interior design, which operates without any moving parts, uses the thermal capacity of the cooling agent optimally and makes extreme cooling possible. In additon, the flow area is not restricted and the flow of the cooling agent is not obstructed or slowed."

Allow me to paraphrase:

"This revolutionary product is tied to neither the laws of physics nor heat transfer. It's magic!"

Are there NO laws governing such? I have a flowmeter and a method to measure dP. I am tempted to purchase this block and then take these clowns to court if flow rate loss or pressure drop is observed.

I also do not know what to make about the comment regarding turbulence and low water temps at the radiator. Something lost in the translation?

I am sure this isn't isolated, and I am also sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Just as C/W values of dubious value began being used as marketing after o/cers started publishing them, now it looks like important parameters for wcing are soon to be abused and misused to hawk wares.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
Blackeagle
Thermophile

YES INDEED LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. Step right up and witness the wonder of the age. This waterblock with it's wonderfull and revolutionary design creates tremendous turbulence to remove all the heat from your CPU without causeing headloss like those oldfasioned ones of yesterday. And the best part of all, it does all this, removes the heat and all, without working the rad to dissipate the heat removed from the CPU by the water block.

YES INDEED YOU TO CAN HAVE THIS MARVEL OF THE AGE FOLKS.

AND ALL FOR ONLY $$$$$$, DON'T LET THIS GREAT OPORTUNITY PASS YOU BY ! ! ! !

Do I get the job as head of their PR & sales division?

To quote BillA, "hopeless"

edit: pHaestus, it's spelled magick when refering to a true worker of wonders, as opposed to a slight of hand magi.
On second thought you may be right, there may well be some missdirection and slight of hand involved here as well.

Last edited by Blackeagle; 05-08-2003 at 10:25 PM.
Blackeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:29 PM   #3
Blackeagle
Thermophile

The really sad part is that there will be a good number of people attracted to watercooling by these low cost kits. And they are going to get fleeced royally by companys like this one.
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #4
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

C,mon guys, don't you see how this thing works.

Obviously it uses highly classified nanotechnology pumps that convert most of the heat energy coming from the processor into coolant flow. Heck you don't even need an external pump. Just hook it up to a rad.

The friction of the flow through the rad converts the mechanical energy of the flow back into heat which is dissipated by the airflow. In another month or so they'll have the the nanofans perfected, and you won't need a fan either.

Ain't technology wonderful.
Since87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:40 PM   #5
Cathar
Thermophile

With the extra components in a water-cooling system, it allows for extra amounts of descriptive hyperbolae. No longer does the marketing person only have a fan and hunk of copper to beat off about, they now have all these extra bits and pieces and the interaction thereof of go nuts on.

If you want perhaps a fantastic example of this, look no further than our beloved Tom's Hardware Guide. Check out this piece of obvious "cash for comments" trash:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020701/index.html

Heck, it's as if Innovatek wrote the article themselves and just paid Tom to post it on his website.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:41 PM   #6
Blackeagle
Thermophile

OK, I give up, Since87 gets the PR and sales job.

On another note however, I see over at the "house of help" (Corsair site), that they are shipping their new watercooling system this week. They are saying that we'll be seeing reviews poping up all over.

Wonderfull.:shrug:
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:48 PM   #7
pHaestus
Big Player
Making Big Money

Bullshit reviews are a separate issue. Let's not muddy the waters here. This is absolute falsehood and lies being used BY A MFGR to sell a product. Not some teenager writing a review for free goodies or ad money.
pHaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
Blackeagle
Thermophile

Cathar,

A good point, that article is sad.

pHaestus,

Didn't mean to distract from your topic. Sorry.

I just find it hard not to make fun of such BS however.
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
Cathar
Thermophile

Quote:
Originally posted by pHaestus
Bullshit reviews are a separate issue. Let's not muddy the waters here. This is absolute falsehood and lies being used BY A MFGR to sell a product. Not some teenager writing a review for free goodies or ad money.
Fair enough, but the distinction is very slim, being a review site saying what the manufacturer wants them to say vs the manufacturer saying it directly themselves.

Not a glaring example, but still a few anomalies can be found on Asetek's WaterChill page:

http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?sh...on=2&menuID=-1

"Maximum PC performance"

"Unmatched price competitiveness"

So basically they're saying that it's the best performing water-cooling kit on the market, and nothing can beat it on price, or more literally and the devil is in the details with these marketing people is that no one else sells at exactly the same price as them.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 12:13 AM   #10
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

It's not clear to me that this is cynical/manipulative marketing rather than stupid/lazy marketing.

I've had more than one experience of trying to explain technical issues about a product to a marketing person, and later seeing marketing literature akin to this Innovatek blurb.

I guess one way to find out which it is, is to confront the seller and/or manufacturer with the fact that these statements are BS, and see what comes of it.
Unread 05-09-2003, 05:29 AM   #11
8-Ball
Cooling Savant

Have a look here

Read the section titled

Quote:
How thermo-electric effect reduces fan noise without compromising cooling

Now check the specs. This thing only draws a maximum of 73W. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the power rating of the TEC they are using?

8-ball

READ ALL OF THIS!!!!
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 07:26 AM   #12
JSimmons
Cooling Savant

Location: 4-sided room with an exit going east, and an exit going south

Quote:
Originally posted by 8-Ball
Have a look here
Did you notice that the unit uses a "clod" plate? I wonder how close that is to the truth?

JSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 11:25 AM   #13
utabintarbo
Cooling Savant

This is rather instructive:

Quote:
NOTE:
SHARKA COMPUTERS CANNOT ALLOW RETURNS ON ANY WATERCOOLING PRODUCTS
Unread 05-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #14
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

Did you notice how in that Tom's review he mentioned that head doesn't matter in a closed loop (dumbass), unless you're using a corporate kit your system sucks (whore), the copper/alu radiator they use is the best one available (liar), incorrect comments on corrosion (ignorant), comments on how elbows don't reduce pressure (wtf), says if distilled water with additives leaks on your system it won't short out (stupid stupid stupid), "It's important that the radiator be installed in the upper part of the case, since heat rises" (no comment, hehe), labels a picture of damaged block attachment tackle as quality workmanship (with a straight face), and he says you shouldn't use silver paste because of how flat the blocks are (he should have quit pages ago).

Did I miss something? That guy is a complete and utter dumbass. A fool. An ijit.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #15
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

What bothers me the most is when people like us that know better publically discredit what the "big" sites say they call us arogant and full of it and do not belive what we are saying because what do we know.....

Places like IPKonfig are just beyond worthless as they are totally screwing up people. Here is a thread at amdmb I had the displeasure of participating in. http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=223205

Seems IPKonfig can not only get load temps 4C over idel temps on a Barton, but they do it with a Koolance system with a Swiftech 5000 spliced into it.

Oh, an on topic I still can't get over this BS:
http://www.computerexhaust.com/products.htm

Last edited by jaydee116; 05-09-2003 at 06:07 PM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #16
bigben2k
Responsible for 2%
of all the posts here.

WOW! That IPKonfig review of the MCW5000 is so bad, I never thought it was possible to post such garbage!!!

http://www.ipkonfig.com/Reviews/Liqu...ech-MCW5000-A/
bigben2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 01:46 PM   #17
GTA
Cooling Savant

One of my personal favorites is Koolance's wonderfull temperature monitoring, which has caused me to have many arguments with people in the past.

The probe, which they either say or imply, is the CPU temp, actually measures water temp ( have I got that right? ) and is therefore MILES off the actual CPU temp.

I was arguing with a guy who had a reading on his Koolance probe of 27 degrees, on an overclocked Athlon. He was mocking me because my home made effort ( DIY waterblock, Eheim 1048 and 2 foot x 3 foot car radiator ) was at 40.

I took great pains to point out the inaccuracy of the temp monitor he was using, and pointed out that how could his system outperform mine, when his pump was smaller, his radiator was smaller, he had less airflow, and the original Koolance waterblock, which was aluminium, whereas I was using a maze1 copy in solid copper.

He didn't believe a word of it, and is still running around recommending Koolance to everyone, and I bet half of them are buying it
GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #18
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by bigben2k
WOW! That IPKonfig review of the MCW5000 is so bad, I never thought it was possible to post such garbage!!!

http://www.ipkonfig.com/Reviews/Liqu...ech-MCW5000-A/
Told ya. Thats the review I was talking about above.

"Lets use a Koolance system to do reviews with other blocks" " Yeah! Yeah! thats the ticket".

I don't even know why I turn the computer on sometimes.....
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 04:55 PM   #19
Tweety
Cooling Neophyte

I guess none of you made the effort to go to Innovateks site and read thier description of the X-flow?!

I know my german isn't the best and my skills at translating it to swedish (my native) sucks and to translate german into english is even worse... but the guys at sharkacomputers are evidently even worse than me...

Short and sweet... on the site innovatec says "the block is designed to create turbulence optimising the usage of the coolant" probably meaning transfer heat to the water ey?
Also "The cross patter design does this without putting an unusal strain on the pump or drasticly reducing waterflow compared to it's predecessor" I guess my somewhat flawed translation beats sharkas by a mile?
And in addition states that by transferring heat more efficiently to the water you use your radiator more efficiently because the difference between watertemps and room temps are higher... this last part is more than half part guess on my behalf so anyone with a better ability to translate german is more than welcome to correct me...

BUT what I make of the text there... the statements they (innovatek) make on privciples of heat transfers and such are true, and their statements about thier own product are by far more humble than sharka's... and also more than a bit more humble than Tom's statements about thier products...

As far as I know innovatek are a quite serious about their business and offer products wich are (on this side of the pond atleast) rather nicely priced for thier performance. Even with the smaller tubing these systems perform good enough for a starting kit , the flatflow and X-flow aimed at non-oc'ed systems, mainly for the silence factor and the innovaCOOL with enough head room for moderate overclocking...I have used and will recommend their smaller kits if you are looking for a silent computer, they have cooling for all parts of the system at about the same price as koolance but with as far as I know better performance and with the ease to install and professional look as most users who arent interested in building thier own blocks wan't...

But I agree with the opinion that these systems are not for the performance freaks and are in no way any serious competition to the systems the members of these boards can build... with the flaws of elbows and other problems...

Now I'll return to my quiet lurking and keep reading the informative posts here... Just thought that you guys should put the blame on the right people...
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #20
Since87
Pro/Guru - Uber Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Tweety
I guess none of you made the effort to go to Innovateks site and read thier description of the X-flow?!
Thanks, I thought this might be, at least partially, incompetent translation.
Unread 05-09-2003, 05:27 PM   #21
nikhsub1
c00ling p00n

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
Did you notice how in that Tom's review he mentioned that head doesn't matter in a closed loop (dumbass), unless you're using a corporate kit your system sucks (whore), the copper/alu radiator they use is the best one available (liar), incorrect comments on corrosion (ignorant), comments on how elbows don't reduce pressure (wtf), says if distilled water with additives leaks on your system it won't short out (stupid stupid stupid), "It's important that the radiator be installed in the upper part of the case, since heat rises" (no comment, hehe), labels a picture of damaged block attachment tackle as quality workmanship (with a straight face), and he says you shouldn't use silver paste because of how flat the blocks are (he should have quit pages ago).

Did I miss something? That guy is a complete and utter dumbass. A fool. An ijit.
One of the best posts I have read in a LONG time... LOL!

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
E6700 @ 3.65Ghz / P5W DH Deluxe / 2GB 667 TeamGroup / 1900XTX
PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe
Mountain Mods U2-UFO Cube
Storm G5 --> MP-01 --> PA 120.3 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
1,223,460+ Ghz Folding@Home
aNonForums
*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #22
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Let me tell everyone now....
you can easier have a perpetually moving flywheel attached to the front side of your car's gearbox, than what you can have a turbulence generating block without the generated backpressure. The one is a result of the other, they are inversely proportional. mathematically calculable, and unfortunately inseparable.

think of the opposite of what "they" just invented, the zero-drag, infinite lift, airfoil. (plane wing) that can generate it's lift with absolutely no airflow over it at all... UFO stile...
Unread 05-09-2003, 05:47 PM   #23
Zhentar
Cooling Savant

How can you guys go so long without mentioning the Water-X? This thing has been advertised as being worth something, somehow useful, and even worth the $90 or $100 it costs. Tests at Dan's Data are compared in the article to the heatsink I happen to be using, and are given approximately equal cooling power.

Guess what? I spent less than $5 on my HSF a year and a half ago...
Zhentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #24
BillA
CoolingWorks Tech Guy
Formerly "Unregistered"

godamit #rotor, you signed an NDA about my rotating wb
you know, the one that spins in 2 planes while the water stands still . . . .

grrrr
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #25
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Darn... I completely forgot.... but fear not... I use invisible ink, it's only you and a couple of others that seems to be able to read what I say. and besides, nobody reads what stands written between the lines anyhow.... so your gismo is safe as can be.