Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-28-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
L3viTy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Help with config for new wc setup

First of all a big thanx for all the information available here. I have been browsing the boards a few days now and have preaty much nailed down what I need for a resonably efficient wc setup. My system specs are thus:

Asus PC-DL mobo rev 1.5 using pin mod for vcore
dual xeon 3.06 cpu's running at 3.7, moderate oc
2 gig corsair xms ddr3 ram

sata drives, dvd ect ect.
Thermaltake 550w eps PSU
enermax 400w psu for wc and fans

WHat Im after is quiet operation at the moderate level of oc I have atm. This is what Ive decided to purchase after reading the boards:

Danger Den rbx or tdx cpu blocks (Ive read reviews on both tdx seems to be a2 c warmer)
Danger Den NV68+ram block
DD Maze4 chipset cooler
DD D5 12v pump or Ehim 1250

Any comments/sugestions would be much apprecieated.
L3viTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
gmat
Thermophile

Default Re: Help with config for new wc setup

First, you've got waterblocks and pump but no radiator. Try to find a suitable case and radiator for your setup. For the rad take at least a double heatercore or similar sized one (2x120mm can fit over it).
If you're after quiet operation, first choose a single PSU, and a real quiet one. Forget Enermax or Termaltake. Look at Seasonic, or Antec TruPower series. The Seasonic 550W monster will perform admirably and in a very quietly. You do not need another PSU as you've got no peltier or other high current drawing element.
Remember you must keep the fan count to a minimum. If your budget allows it try to look at Yesico fanless PSUs, they can hold up a lot. And the only other fans in your system must reside on your radiator. Try to design around that.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
L3viTy
Cooling Neophyte

Thanks for the reply gmat,
I already hav the rad, Im using is a 1982 jeep heater core, high flow 12inx6in. Should fit 3 120 fans but I will start with two and make a shroud. Case to be used is a supermicro sc750sca, big roomy full server tower. Gutted it and will mod for this specific setup so room isnt an issue. I plan on mounting the rad in the top with blow holes for two fans that will pull air uo through rad from caseone low speed fan in bottom side of case will blow in compleating airflow circuite. As for the powersupply, I already own the thermaltake so Im using it. Reseivoiur is a dual 51/4 in lucite box that will mount in top as well with the pump just below the res.
L3viTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3viTy
Danger Den rbx or tdx cpu blocks (Ive read reviews on both tdx seems to be a2 c warmer)
Danger Den NV68+ram block
DD Maze4 chipset cooler
DD D5 12v pump or Ehim 1250

Any comments/sugestions would be much apprecieated.
RBX/TDX: Look at Storm and apogee too.
NV-68: Look at MCW55 and some ramsinks
Chipset cooler is unecessary. but if you must, MCX159-CU, if it will fit.
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #5
gmat
Thermophile

If you want to limit noise, try to place your fans INSIDE the case.
That means they'll pull air through the rad from outside the case (fresher air), and their noise will be muffled by the case panels.
No need for a case fan if all your hot elements are watercooled.
gmat is offline   Reply With Quote