Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 09-10-2002, 10:06 PM   #26
Volenti
Cooling Savant

I'm not too concerned with the impeller rubbing in this prototype, it's served it's purpose, and given us important practical results to add to overall water block theory.

BP geometry is something I'll have to ponder over, I'd like to knurl the copper surface I have already, or have a really small version of chequer plate finish on the copper.

whatever it is it must be low profile(since it will have an impeller spinning just above it) and will have to made in such a way that it avoids having structures that will trap water and create partial dead spots.
Unread 11-22-2002, 11:49 AM   #27
electrip_flip
Cooling Neophyte

@Volenti:

Could you please post the link/reference
to the original posting by fixittt?

Thanks,
Philipp
electrip_flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2002, 12:58 PM   #28
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

If you could neutralize the vibration of the pump you would do alot better. First, if your mobo is standing vertically, the pump is torquing the block downward, unevenly applying pressure to the block. The vibration, unless the block is secured down with a ton of force, will cause intermittant and variable contact irregularites that will further hamper the efficiency of your block. What you need is to create a way of doing this that adds no vibration or heavy torque to the block.

I still think you can do the same thing like so:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/sho...k&pagenumber=3

The turbulation is done by centrifugal force, and by roughing the bottom of the block with a sandblaster you would achieve the same results as your pump block without the added torque, vibration, and heat. Just my .02

edit: in all fairness, the big boys here think this won't work. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to build the block and prove it does. You could always make the majority of it out of a plexiglass block with just a copper plate on the bottom for testing/proving purposes. The physics and mechanics of this design can not be disputed.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2002, 04:40 PM   #29
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

I have posted some cad designes of my original idea some time ago, back when I had webspace. I am working (Not really getting anywhere) on getting some new space for hosting pics and a site. As soon as I do, you bet that Ill display my pics again.

Also I am going to be making one of my designs rese assured, with the actual motor that drives the impellar in a remote location. So no added weight.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2002, 09:50 PM   #30
Volenti
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by airspirit
If you could neutralize the vibration of the pump you would do alot better. First, if your mobo is standing vertically, the pump is torquing the block downward, unevenly applying pressure to the block. The vibration, unless the block is secured down with a ton of force, will cause intermittant and variable contact irregularites that will further hamper the efficiency of your block. What you need is to create a way of doing this that adds no vibration or heavy torque to the block.

the whole pump block assembly weighed less than half the weight of other copper blocks I've used before, besides, the torque applied from the weight of the block is nothing compared to the torque from the hoses coming off the block (any block)

Allthough the pump-block was very noizy I could not feel any vibration on it, the pump it's self was only 7w, if vibration from it was causing a problem I'm sure all the people with high speed delta fans would be having problems too...
Unread 11-23-2002, 11:12 AM   #31
airspirit
Been /.'d... have you?

It isn't just weight that causes torque, but distance from the fulcrum. It was just a throught. With a block like that, you would be emulating the impeller without any moving objects with no power usage.
#!/bin/sh {who;} {last;} {pause;} {grep;} {touch;} {unzip;} mount /dev/girl -t {wet;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} {fsck;} echo yes yes yes {yes;} umount {/dev/girl;zip;} rm -rf {wet.spot;} {sleep;} finger: permission denied
airspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2002, 12:32 AM   #32
lt_sapper
Cooling Neophyte

I'm new to the forumn and all, but I think you can do the same thing without the pump built in.
You would need a block with an axle at the point were you want the most turbulence and a wheel on that axle.
Basicaly build a block with a spindle and water wheel and then make sure that you have water flowing so the wheel moves.
The flow hitting the wheel creates turbulence.
only problem is construction and wear.
Would take a professional to create I think.
lt_sapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2002, 03:20 PM   #33
Fixittt
CNC Beyatch

not to totally disagree with you, yes it would create some turbulance. But nothing I would think would be wort while. But on the other hand, it the wheel was driven. Just amagine the turbulance inside a pump. All the forces at work. What I set out to do was incorperate it into a usable one peice, waterblock/pump design. I posted what I had done, and loved watching it come to life in this fashion. Granted once I get my life back on track, I plan on making my design.
Fixittt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 05:05 AM   #34
Kobuchi
Cooling Savant

You're on to something great, Volenti.

I thought of this while repairing a washing machine pump. These pumps have a flat plastic bottom which is easily removed for cleaning inside (they accumulate threads and zipper teeth). The impeller is equally flat on the bottom and 1mm off the baseplate, having no guide pin. The impeller is balanced entirely by the drive shaft, which could be powered directly or by belt. Unfortunately, these pumps have 1-1/8" ports and the base is about 6" diameter. I've been hoping to salvage a smaller, suitable pump.

I have some suggestions for your trial #2:

1) Use a non-submersible pump. A submersible pump may overheat without water circulating around it. Standard pumps have integral tube connectors, which will mean a lot less moding for you, and most of them could be used simply by exchanging the plastic base for a copper one. You may also use different motors on them. I can't think of any common appliances with appropriately sized pumps, though; you may have to buy a small general purpose pump.

2) Use a big motor. Larger motors give you more power for the watts they consume, and have better clearances, meaning that they're more efficient and often quieter than smaller ones. Suitable motors are very easy to salvage out of broken appliances.

3) Secure the motherboard to the pump, not the pump to the motherboard. This will nullify any problems from vibration, motor weight, and torque.

4) Keep the baseplate thin and smooth on both sides. Any surface treatments meant to increase turbulence will slow the water down, and slower water is less turbulent. All that's needed is the thinnest possible baseplate and an impeller nearly grazing that plate.
Kobuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2003, 07:39 AM   #35
davidzo
Cooling Savant

i just found this Thread searching in the forum, i don't know if this project is dead or still going on.
Maybe this is a little interesting:
http://web2.cooling-store.de/forum/s...&threadid=5918
davidzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2003, 12:02 AM   #36
JokerCPoC
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by davidzo
i just found this Thread searching in the forum, i don't know if this project is dead or still going on.
Maybe this is a little interesting:
http://web2.cooling-store.de/forum/s...&threadid=5918
Great thread man, But since I don't read German, May I suggest Altavistas Translator
http://babel.altavista.com/translate...tm&language=de ?

I think It's closed (Maybe I'm wrong), But in any case AltaVista isn't that good at translating some words into english. I tried to register there and barely did It, It almost thought that I was a child, Instead of the 43 year old that I am. I'll stick with Pro Cooling, At least I can understand what's being typed in here.
Joker3: 1-270 @ 2.40(2nd-270 cpu soon)GHz cpu[Ntune], K8N-DL v1.03(1007 Bios)
Joker4: 2-285 @ 3.25? GHz cpu[Ntune], (soon) K8N-DL v1.03(1007 Bios)
Joker5: 2-285 @ 3.25? GHz cpu[Ntune], (soon) K8N-DL v1.03(1007 Bios)
(10.10GHz now, 25.43GHz maybe? Crunchin 4 SetiBoinc for the PC Perspective Killer Frogs)
JokerCPoC is offline   Reply With Quote