Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Anzy
Cooling Neophyte

Default Help a beginner...

Hey guys, this will be the first time for me to actually build up a water loop so any thoughts on my current selection would be great!

First, I'll tell you what I have in mind for the computer components...

C2D E6400 +
Waiting on the new nforce chipset in November, so the motherboard will be based off this chipset, hopefully I'll get one by Asus
2 Raptors 150GB Raid 0
Right now I have a 7950GT, not even a month old... may RMA to have the 500$ or so for the 8800GTS, or just spring for another 7950GT for SLI... haven't decided yet, though I'm leaning more in the direction of the 8800 series.
Also have a spare Enermax 500W that I'll probably be using for this setup unless the 8800 series demands more power, which I'm not quite sure I'm going to be going with anyway.
Already have a MozartTx case, so room shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think that covers what my intentions are component wise...
What I'm thinking for the watercooling system (Real noob here so, help me out!)

Swiftech Storm
DD PA120.2 w/ Yate Loon's
Laing DDC w/Petra's DDCT-01 Top
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir
Chipset waterblock? Not sure if this is needed, I want to do some overclocking, which incidently I'm pretty noobish with also, but I tend to just dive in to these things and hope for the best!
I'm going to hold off on a GPU waterblock just now until I figure out what I'm going to be doing regarding all that...
As for tubings/fittings and anything else (Fan controller(s)?) I'm really not too sure on despite reading up on this stuff for some time. Not sure to use plastic or metal clamps. The whole specifications regarding tubing size is slightly confusing but I'm thinking there are two different sizes... the thickness of the actual tubing and the space in between the tubing where the coolant actually flows through...

Let me know how this whole thing is sounding so far as I'm kind of curious in how well I'm doing regarding picking this stuff out... Thanks guys!
Anzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
billbartuska
Cooling Savant

Default Re: Help a beginner...

You're fine. Tubing is usually specified as an ID and a wall thickness.
1/2" ID with 1/16" wall, for example.
Two Opticals and 120 gigs (w/28gigs in RAID0) on 4 Maxstors
billbartuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

What's your budget if you don't mind me asking? Is this a dream setup for complete monitoring or just pure performance, or maybe a combo of the 2. You can get in pretty deep or if you are like a beginner, you can start off small. It just really depends on your wants, needs, and skills.
Once that's established then it's easier to list what would be good for your setup.
XyBeRWaReZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
Anzy
Cooling Neophyte

Well, its my first dive into watercooling of any type, so I wanted to make it a good one. As far as budget, I really don't know myself to be honest, I keep going until I say hrm, that's too much! =P My problem with this stuff is usually not being happy with something thats not the best for my money. Through hunting various forums I thought I came up with a pretty good list of components but if you think something could do for a change please please let me know! I was really intrigued by all the stuff better than watercooling, like the phase change, pelts, etc... really very interesting stuff but the part about preventing the condensation held me off from that. I usually just jump in over my neck, doggy paddle for awhile until I figure everything out, be it the hard way or easy way... So if you have any recommendations man, go for it. Since its also going to be my first overclocking attempt also, I wanted to go with better than air cooling solutions to I dunno, maybe make my first overclocking experience a little more worth while. As for the motherboard, processor, etc... I'm really up in the air on it all and right now its going to turn out as just going out to Newegg and going on a binge... and with the improved nforce chipset and 8800 series stuff coming out in November, I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing.
Unread 10-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #5
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Okay since you really don't have a predetermined budget, I'll list 2 options if possible for a single item. One option will be at the absoulte highest performance without money being considered and the second will be the best bang for your buck option.
Afterwards it'll be up to you whether to decide what you'll pick. Also I'll post whether the item I list is absolutely necessary to a watercooling rig so you can also to decide if you want it in your system or not.
So I'll be back in a lil bit with information and links as where to you get this stuff.
In a way it'll be my own reference as what is top of the line so if I should forget later on.
Maybe this will be a sticky.
Unread 10-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Anzy
Cooling Neophyte

Sounds great XyBeRWaReZ, thanks for taking the time to help!
Unread 10-29-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
XyBeRWaReZ
Cooling Neophyte

Okay here's my list of some of the best components for water cooling out there today. This is gathered through information that I have picked up along the way and reading various reviews from many different sites and forums.

First off, I'll start with the absolute essentials for any water cooling system. This would be the bare bones of it to just run your system efficiently. Afterwards I'll post one more with all the little goodie addons that will make your system shine with all that extra bling!

CPU Waterblock

1. AquaXtreme MP-05 PRO Universal CPU Water Block at Extreme Prometeia and can be purchased at CoolTechnica
Price is around $65.00 but check around on the net for better prices. Said to even beat out the Switftech Storm.

2. Apogee Extreme Performance CPU Water Block at Swiftech and you can also purchase it through them directly for about $50. Definately the best bang for your buck CPU water block.

3. Little River G5 Water Block - This is supposedly the best water block in the world made by a company in Australia called Little River. They don't have a pricing for their water block but it's well over $100. You can contact them here for more info and purchase info.

Water Pumps

1. Laing DDC 18w (With and Without Tops): DDC-2, MCP355, DDC Ultra, DDC+, DDC 1T-Pluss and costs about $75 from Petra's Tech Shop. It is definately one of the top if not the top performer out there while remaining quiet, decently priced, and nicely designed. Also it doesn't weigh a ton and isn't huge in size. So just about everything on this unit is a winner.

Heater Cores & or Radiators

1. Double 120MM
a. Dual 120mm Heater Core (Dual Pass) from Voyeurmods.com is an excellent performer for only $35! Make sure to get a fan shroud for this unit..

2. Triple 120MM
a. Thermochill PA120.3 runs about $135 from Jab-Tech

3. Quad 120MM
a. Okay these behemoths won't fit into most available cases nowadays without any type of heavy modfication, so if you have that many waterblocks in your system then your best bet would be to just use 2 of the Dual 120MM Heater Cores and work that around your case somehow.

120MM Fans

1. Fans are hard to choose as you have to balance noise, pressure, and CFMs. I'll give you the names of the best out there but you decide on the balance part. It also depends on the radiator or heater core that you will ultimately use in the end. Here is a link to tests on 27 different fans, but it is in French so use a free translator like Babelfish to translate it.
a. Panaflos
b. Sanyo Denki
c. Yate Loons

Tubing

1. Tygon tubing - This is the most expensive type of tubing that is normally used in water cooling. It is the most flexible tubing available in water cooling. Pef foot pricing is about $2.35 and you can get it from Danger Den

2. Primo Flex UV Tubing - Although this tubing isn't as flexible as Tygon, it is definately picks up points in the style department with it's various UV reactant colors. Cost per foot is about $0.99 per foot depending on size from Voyuermods.com

Okay that's basically all the major components needed to start a water cooled setup. This is also assuming that you won't use a reservoir as testing has showed that it doesn't help much, if at all when putting one in. What has been recommended is to just stick in a T-type connector and a fill port and of course hose clamps. There are many various types available depending on your tastes. I list these items in the next part to this post as they will be the type to dress up your setup.

Also I didn't list any GPU waterblocks as you're not completely sure as to what you're gonna get. Post what you are definately going to be getting and then I'll list a waterblock for that.

Last edited by XyBeRWaReZ; 10-29-2006 at 04:17 AM.