Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion > Water Block Design / Construction
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

Water Block Design / Construction Building your own block? Need info on designing one? Heres where to do it

Unread 11-29-2002, 06:28 PM   #51
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

about 100MHz

i've hit the brick wall of my chip. i shoud be unlocking my chip. but unlocking the first tbreds is a real behatch. i'm looking forward to affordable tbred B's => they should be really easy to unlock.

problem is: anything between 157 and 166 gives me pci out of spec probs. 166 (2.2V 45°C idle!!!) brings me desktop, but impossible to benchmark. i can run 156 at 1.9V whereas i used to run 149 on my msi at 1.85 (not too stable). 156 at 1.9V is stable.

the conclusion should be:

thk u epox for making a true OC'ers mobo for the incredible price of 110€ (no raid, but who needs that anyway). where i don't have to get a soldering iron to get a vmod(no warranties void at 2.2). where i can push upto 3.2 through the memory; and 1.8 through the agp...
Unread 11-30-2002, 11:39 AM   #52
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

I'm glad you're happy with your new mobo!

I took some time this afternoon to waterproof the temp probe of a thermometer I purchased (ordinary inside/outside home thermometer). I gave it to a friend who has similar thing at his home, but several times beter/expensive, to see if this one I got is and how accurate. I guess it was a good purchase, cos' temps compared with his thermo was in +/- 0.2 C difference ((I guess I can take the temps with +/- 0.5 C error margin)

Today I measured some temps on my setup:

fans @ 7V:

idle cpu 33 C, water 30.0 C, rad intake 25.3 C
full load cpu 38 C, water 30.8 C, rad intake 25.6 C

fans @ 12 V

idle cpu 32 C, water 28 C, rad intake 24.8 C
full load cpu 36 C, water 28.8, rad intake 24.8 C

It surprises me that the water temp (took it right after the block, the only place I can insert the probe without problems) is oscillating within the 1 C range.

Also, in best case, (water 28, rad intake 24.8), delta is 3.2 C, thats if I'm not mistaken 3.2 C above ambient, temps taken behind the block. So, anybody, pls comment these temps, in any way...
Unread 11-30-2002, 12:31 PM   #53
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

well, i cant comment too much on temps because my temp measuring absolutely sucks.

i got:

-car thermometer for ambient room temps, indicating 17.8°C
-senfu thermometer measuring same ambient temp about 1°C less than car thermometer: 16.8°C

senfu thermometer is now in reservoir indicating watertemps of 20.4°C

mbm reports a chip temp of atm +/-40°C at 1782MHz and 1.95V.

so that means that my setup is cooling the chip waywayway worse than your setup. if u were to be able to give your chip, my watertemp then u would be having a chip of 23°C idle!!!

edit: oops, i can sometimes be pretty dumb. sensor 1 from mbm is bound to winbond 1; sensor 2 to winbond 2 ; i was always assuming that sensor 2 is my cpu, but maybe it is sensor 1. i will have to look first before stating temps.

Last edited by g.l.amour; 11-30-2002 at 01:38 PM.
g.l.amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2002, 04:44 PM   #54
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Woohoo, your temps are good as mine, considering that you got water/ambient delta of 3.6 C! That's what I wanted to know, is 3 C or so above the ambient good, good enough, very good (I know it's not the best, so I'll stop there )...

I've got no reference how much deg C above the ambient is in good setup, or in bad setup. Just wanna know the range...How close to the ambient can one achieve with a 'ordinary' wc setup like this? Did anybody reach 1 C or 0.5 C water temp above the ambient?

Quote:
senfu thermometer measuring same ambient temp about 1°C less than car thermometer: 16.8°C
M8! You'll freeze to death!!! Don't tell me I got some balls going to 1.5 mm base, it's you who got the balls (pretty frozen ones too!) to sit and type on the keyb. at that temperature!

And about those winbond sensors, bloody things, there's two of them I have to remember, and each time I have to rebound them I have to run some burn-in or cpuburn to see which temp rises faster...and hopefully decide which one is cpu...
Unread 11-30-2002, 04:57 PM   #55
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Reading about the sequence of the parts in the wc setup made me thinking, now I run it pump-rad-block, think I'll try to re-tube it to see how it goes with pump-block-rad...That's the way you have it, right? Ever tried to run it other way?
Unread 12-01-2002, 06:53 AM   #56
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

i can stand cold temps pretty well

besides , my pc + 21" monitor heat up the room pretty well and fast...

i have already done it with rads in series

pump -> rad -> block -> rad -> pump

that setup ran pretty good, but were other rads and other MB; so hard to judge objectively.
Unread 12-02-2002, 06:43 AM   #57
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Whoa, this happenes when I cool my room a little...Room temp (measured on rad intake) 21.8 C, idle temps:

Oh yeah! OH YEAH!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp1.jpg (10.8 KB, 110 views)
Unread 12-02-2002, 07:23 AM   #58
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

waw, i thk i will have to make another bloack. apparently my block can still be made quite an amount better.
Unread 12-02-2002, 08:02 AM   #59
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Yup, you've been there, done that! I think it's worth it!

Got materials, and tools...
Unread 12-02-2002, 08:14 AM   #60
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

heh, i ain't looking forward to all the mess, the last mess has been barely cleaned up...

i'm gonna setup a little workshop in the basement.
Unread 12-06-2002, 04:47 AM   #61
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

Quote:
Originally posted by Puzzdre
Whoa, this happenes when I cool my room a little...Room temp (measured on rad intake) 21.8 C, idle temps:

Oh yeah! OH YEAH!!!

now just imagine the effect of one of these....
Unread 12-06-2002, 04:52 AM   #62
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Last spring I junked TWO deep freezers, one gone bad, and one old but still working...And went wcooling in summer...Grrrrrr....

Nice setup, not bluuuu but radioactive green...guess you can hoover at 10 C or less when idle?

Nice thingie you got there!!! COOL (pun intended! )
Unread 12-06-2002, 05:06 AM   #63
#Rotor
Cooling Savant

TA... ya, a nice goo-green... don't ya think.... though there is a good reason for it to be Green.... that Baby could keep it at +10 Liquid temp's full load on 6 Simultaniously cooled Cluster nodes... all of which was loaded with Dual Drift-0.8's and slaped onto some unsuspecting SMP Xeon's, six times over...

Unread 12-06-2002, 05:37 AM   #64
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Well, shave my legs and call me grandpa!!!

Talk about cooling power...That's dual loop you running there, right? What pump (or pumps) is powering that beasty setup on those low fluid temps? Guess it's not some cheap aquarium pump (I looked into my MJ1000 pump spec's, but haven't found lowest fluid temp, just max. fluid temp specified, 35 C)?
Unread 12-06-2002, 08:41 AM   #65
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

heheh, io boys

the next rotor block is almost finished. it should be on the crossroad of a swiftech pitted baseplate design + cathars high restriction block. no pelt stuff.

baseplate thickness should between 1.8 - 2mm around core area.
i wonder, i wawawa wonder...
Unread 12-06-2002, 03:59 PM   #66
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Yeah, me also wawawawan.... It looks good ! Seeing you making progress (and the blocks) also looks goooood!!!

Did you setup the workshop in ur basement, or decided what the hell, in apartement again?

Just one thing though, wouldn't it be a more restrictive one? I mean, if you got 8 channels 1 mm wide and 8 mm deep, thats 64 mm^2, and inlet barb 10 mm ID, thats 78 mm^2?

Never mind that, good to see you're back!!!

Waiting for more...
Unread 12-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #67
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

lol, the apartment had to suffer again. after recently having moved it is still getting used to organising all the tools and places to work.

everything went way faster.

yesterday after work i quickly completed the design. printed the paper for holes. started drilling all the holes, finished, dremeled everything. at 23.00 i broke a 3.3 drill bit for tapping the m4's. today after work i got a new drill bit, did all the tapping, lapping, leaktest, mount.

from start to finish in 10hrs!!!

the block doesn't have an appealing finish, but lets see it perform like a champ before i give it the 'treatment' (sanding sides and top).

sooo, my gf won't have to stand with the junk in the living room for weeks on end.
Unread 12-06-2002, 05:09 PM   #68
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Wow, that was fast one!

Quote:
the block doesn't have an appealing finish, but lets see it perform like a champ before i give it the 'treatment' (sanding sides and top).
LOL, that's exactly what I said for mine block, now I don't have the power of will to take it out and make look decent...

Quote:
sooo, my gf won't have to stand with the junk in the living room for weeks on end.
You can always do what I do, leave it in the kitchen, or just spread all around, so it won't look like a lot of junk in one place...it works, but for very very short period of time

Good job on the base thi(nness)ckness!!! Wasn't so difficult I hope...
Unread 12-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #69
g.l.amour
Cooling Savant

for the base thickness i had to get one of those expensive measuring devices, u know upto 1/10mm. and every hole measure measure measure. my benchpress has a really crappy readout, can't trust it to 3mm.

lol, my gf can stand the crap, but in the end, i'm the one that is cleaning it up (thats how it should be, but we can dream, can't we)
Unread 12-07-2002, 03:20 PM   #70
Puzzdre
Cooling Savant

Yuk, that's a lotta measuring for only one block (I guess the thingie is called vernier...) Uh, 3 mm is pretty high to be sure of what you done... I measured the 'trust border' for mine drill press, and conclusion is - the chuck is going up/down for 1 mm on itself, no pressure on handle at all, so I guess I'm in somewhat better position, just had to drill 1 mm less than mm track showed...when I measured the random holes, the depth was correct...

Quote:
lol, my gf can stand the crap, but in the end, i'm the one that is cleaning it up (thats how it should be, but we can dream, can't we)
I hear you...oh yeah, I HEAR YOU...