Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 01-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
Waterbug
Cooling Neophyte

Default Rust? Bacterial buildup!

As i have read thru the forums and read all your comments on water additives i would like to give you my status on this so far, and would like comments of other with similar setups:

Swiftech Mcw462 UH CPU block, DD Heathercore, Clearflex60, Hydor L30 pump, Acryl 5,25 bay tank, The watercooling contains about 2 litres in total, Antec 1000amg window case.

Im using the litres measurement as i live in sweden.

I use battericarwater, 4 litres, brand (Hagmans), mixed with a bottle of D-tek supercool additive. A couple of weeks ago i spotted algee buildup in my plexiglass baytank i alsa have a plexiglass side on the pc case, so light would get in there pretty easy.

I added 12% of concentrated glykol antifreezer (Ethylene glykol), brand (Preem) and it made it worse, im now getting some white bacterial fungus groups in the tank, i did not have this before i added the glykol antifreezer.

I read somewhere that bleech would kill the bacteria, so i used what i had, Clorine 5% strong, and i put 5ml of the stuff in the 2L of water, in the tank, it reacted with the fungus and killed it. Now im worried about the corrosion stuff that i have read about when using clorine. So what would be the best brew/solution to use in a closed loop? I do no live in the US so we do not have lysol , pinosol, GM Antifreezer nor Hyperlube or Swiftech Hydrx. Only D-tek Supercool, Pupleice, WaterWetter and antifreezer non Ethylene / Ethylene stuff.

Any suggestions, from you people in Europe or other parts of the world?
And could anyone explain to me why the ethylene antifreezer made it worse???
I thought it was poisonious.

Last edited by Waterbug; 01-01-2004 at 08:37 AM.
Waterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
guandi
Cooling Savant

i have the answer for you!

Miltons!

its a anti-bacterial/anti-fungal disinfectant thing for baby's stuff, like bottles etc.

it doesnt go cloudy in water and doesnt harm plastics either. so its ideal

i dont know if you can get it in sweden, but i think you can (according to my mum) you should be able to buy it in most good chemist's like Boots. if not, find out if they have other stuff for sterilising baby utensiles and bottles.
2x BFG6800Ultra
Audigy2 ZS + Gigaworks S750
2x120gb/4x80gb
lots of water/copper/pumpy goodness.
guandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Waterbug
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by guandi

Miltons!

its a anti-bacterial/anti-fungal disinfectant thing for baby's stuff, like bottles etc.

i dont know if you can get it in sweden, but i think you can (according to my mum) you should be able to buy it in most good chemist's like Boots. if not, find out if they have other stuff for sterilising baby utensiles and bottles.
Hi! thanks for the tip, i will look in to that at my local pharmacy
Waterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
Stiffler
Cooling Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by guandi

Miltons!

You mix a little bit of this with some anti-corrosive?
Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
killernoodle
Thermophile

The glycol antifreeze prevents nasties from forming, it could not make the fungus grow faster. It likely just stained all the bacteria and fungus in there making it more noticable.