Go Back   Pro/Forums > ProCooling Technical Discussions > General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar JavaChat Mark Forums Read

General Liquid/Water Cooling Discussion For discussion about Full Cooling System kits, or general cooling topics. Keep specific cooling items like pumps, radiators, etc... in their specific forums.

Unread 02-12-2003, 06:35 PM   #1
winewood
Cooling Savant

Default Mainboard CPU temp reading gone bad

I have a K7S5A rev. SO board by ECS. No hiss and boo's. Its cheap and so am I.

I just put a Radiator that has a fan running on it, wired to my CPU fan pinout. The hmonitor display shows that my temperature is all over the place.. 80 F - 200 F. The socket has a green plastic bulb thing just under the cpu. (I think this is the temp guage) The mobo is new. The temp is wrong.. I would have killed my comp if the temps were that.

I also have a thermal probe with my block. The probe is inserted in a hole about 1 mm over and ovset from the core. It shows my temperature WAY more accurately. If I pull it, it shows great room temperature and goes up instantly when a load in placed in the cpu when back in system. I believe its right. It shows the comp at good temps.

QUESTION: Why would my onboard temp sensor be so far off? Does the calculation for the cpu temperature have something to do with what fan is in the cpu fan plug?

Should I just ignore the onboard cpu meter? I would like to have wired my case using internal measurements to shut down my comp, but cant do that if its on the fritz. Should I take back the board, and replace it with another, or does the fan plugged in play a factor?

Constructive suggestions appreciated.
Unread 02-12-2003, 07:27 PM   #2
Arcturius
Cooling Savant

What does the BIOS temperature monitor look like?
I once owned a k7s5a (for a very short period of time) and had no problems with it. It has since found a home at a friend's house, and is running quite well, despite the conditions.

For the money, I liked it better than the GA-7VRXP that replaced it, though I have since switched back to ABit boards.

Side note: I haven't really been keeping track; did ECS release a nicer BIOS for the thing? I recall having to flash to an older BIOS to get any overclocking options at all.

EDIT: In answer to your question ( ), unless somebody really goofed in the revisions since I owned mine, the fan should not cause such horrible swings in the temp readout (barring a dying fan on an air-cooled setup ).
Arcturius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
UnloadeD
Cooling Savant

Is it possible your fan is pulling too much wattage to be used in m/b header and causing the problems? I would hook it to a molex and see what happens.

peace.
unloaded
UnloadeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
winewood
Cooling Savant

Dumb question: where can I get an adapter that will be the female componet to my 3 pin fan power cord?
Unread 02-16-2003, 11:12 PM   #5
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

What are the temps in the bios? And what are you using for a monitor in Winblows? I have one of these boards myself running a UT server. Yes to overclock it you need to download and flash a hacked bios. I left it stock though. My temps seem to be ok. I got a XP1600+ in it with a CHROME ORB!!! Stays cool, rarely sees 50% load as it is just a UT server.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2003, 11:19 PM   #6
joemac
Cooling Savant

Quote:
posted by jaydee116

Yes to overclock it you need to download and flash a hacked bios.
Where can one get hacked Bios and how safe are they ?
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2003, 11:45 PM   #7
jaydee
Put up or Shut Up

Quote:
Originally posted by joemac
Where can one get hacked Bios and how safe are they ?
http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=188718

Even with the OC bios you can only adjust the FSB. It really isn't much of a OC board.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2003, 02:12 AM   #8
joemac
Cooling Savant

Winewood PM me -
joemac is offline   Reply With Quote